Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 05-17-2007, 11:28 PM   #1
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about
Default Early Power Rankings

The early power rankings came out... here are the top ten:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/powerr...t&lid=tab1pos2

1 Patriots 12-4-0 Just one minute away from a trip to the Super Bowl, the Patriots were arguably the NFL's most active team this offseason, adding big-ticket items such as Randy Moss and Adalius Thomas.

2 Colts 12-4-0 What, the Pats sign a receiver or two and everyone forgets about the defending Super Bowl champs? Fine. But let's see Randy Moss or Tom Brady do better than Peyton did on "Saturday Night Live."

3 Chargers 14-2-0 Weird offseason for the Chargers. They're clearly one of the NFL's most talented teams and will be there in the postseason. But the way their season ended and the firing of Marty Schottenheimer has created some negative feelings.

4 Ravens 13-3-0 If he's healthy, Willis McGahee is going to be a stud in Baltimore and will give the running game a boost over Jamal Lewis.

5 Bears 13-3-0 Lance Briggs is unhappy. Cedric Benson is unproven. And Rex Grossman is still Rex Grossman. The good news is the Bears are still in the NFC North.

6 Saints 10-6-0 A great offense added another weapon with first-round WR Robert Meachem. The Saints strengthened their secondary, but there are still concerns about a defense that couldn't stop the run last year.

7 Broncos 9-7-0 After a disappointing end to the 2006 season, the Broncos were extremely busy this offseason, adding impact starters in TE Daniel Graham, RB Travis Henry and CB Dre' Bly. Denver should push the Chargers in the AFC West.

8 Eagles 10-6-0 We can sort of understand why Donovan McNabb would be confused by the drafting of Kevin Kolb. But at the same time, should a franchise QB really be that concerned about a rookie second-round pick?

9 Cowboys 9-7-0 The Cowboys' players sure seem glad to have Wade Phillips in place of Bill Parcells. But will he actually make them a better team?

10 Bengals 8-8-0 While their tough schedule was partly to blame, the Bengals' 8-8 finish last season was a disappointment. Anything short of a trip to the playoffs in 2007 will be equally disappointing.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:29 AM   #2
Kamikaze
Football Maniac

Kamikaze is on a distinguished road

Wow, I don't know if I would have put the Chargers at #2 simply for the fact that they have Norv Turner as their coach.

How the Hell did Dallas make the list??
Old 05-18-2007, 08:34 AM   #3
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

Although I haven't checked their upcoming schedule, I would automatically drop the Bears out of the top 10 and move the Bengals up. Totally agree that the Pats are the team to beat, especially if Moss is back on his game AND he behaves....
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:56 AM   #4
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Glad to see the Bengals back in the top ten. I'm not sure if they deserve it but... I'll take it.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 04:55 PM   #5
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
Wow, I don't know if I would have put the Chargers at #2 simply for the fact that they have Norv Turner as their coach.

How the Hell did Dallas make the list??
You mean Charger at #3... yeah I agree, they are still loaded but Norv Turner???

Dallas made some moves and the NFC is weak again so I can see them getting in the top ten.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:38 AM   #6
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

The Eagles at #8?

8th from the bottom is more like it.

And Cleveland next-to-last is nuts.

With Brady Quinn the Browns go a solid 7-9 in 2007.

Last edited by Anthony; 05-19-2007 at 04:07 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 03:44 AM   #7
boston_aloha
FFB #2

I agree Anthony, I wondered how they made the top ten? Any insight?
Old 05-19-2007, 04:10 AM   #8
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Beats me - they "traded" a 19-YPC receiver for a 12-YPC receiver without saving any money, and they did absolutely nothing to bolster their horrible run defense, which will be exploited all the more now that their offense will be far less of a threat.

Looks like 8-8 is their ceiling this year.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 02:10 PM   #9
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

I agree with New England being up with all the great receivers they have.