Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 05-25-2007, 11:31 AM   #1
Kamikaze
Football Maniac

Kamikaze is on a distinguished road
Default Plaxico is just a jerk

GIANT IN SMALL PERFORMANCEMay 20, 2007 -- IT'S hard out there for a professional athlete who gets no attention from the usually man-hungry ladies at Clifton, N.J., nightspot The Bliss Club. Sources say New York Giants wide receiver Plaxico Burress insulted female patrons there and "left the club without paying his $2,000 tab."

It seemed that Burress was upset Wednesday night because "no women were paying any attention to him."

Spies at Bliss told Page Six Burress came in at around 11 p.m., but stayed only about 90 minutes. While he lounged at the VIP table overlooking the dance floor, Burress and his crew "kept the cocktail waitress running back and forth," ordering "several rounds of Dom Perignon and Grey Goose."

The worst offense? "He didn't even tip his cocktail waitress," said a source, who noted that Burress and his crew "were obviously on the prowl." At one point, said the witness, Plaxico "got up from his VIP table and approached a group of girls at the bar."

That's when he propositioned a female patron out of the blue. "She just yelled back, 'You've got the wrong girl,' " relates our witness. Burress was spotted storming out minutes later "without returning to his table or paying his tab."

The NFLer, recently praised in the press for attending voluntary workouts during the Giants' off-season, was also snubbing male fans at the club. Spies said he refused to sign the jersey of one who raced home to retrieve it when he learned Burress was there, hoping to get an autograph.

One club regular told us the place is often visited by major sports stars, including Yankees Robinson Cano and Melky Cabrera and Burress' fellow Giant star Brandon Jacobs. "I have never seen a professional athlete behave this way," said the source.

The Bliss Club's bottle-service host, Joe Martino, confirmed the $2,000 bill was not paid by Burress or anyone in his group."

Via a rep for the Giants, Burress confirmed he was at the club, but denied walking out on his tab or propositioning anyone.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:01 PM   #2
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

Most of today's athletes are jerks unfortunately.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:24 AM   #3
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

If he left the place without paying, why weren't the police called and Burress arrested for theft of services - and in this case, felony theft of services given the dollar amount involved?

Seems as if certain people would rather just pin a scarlet letter on him instead.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 03:45 AM   #4
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Sorry for the font which I hear you don't like amongst other things, but it's wearing to hear you defend yet another spoiled athlete, Anthony...

If this report is true, no business with any sense would hammer down for such a paltry sum when the value is a ton more for all the patrons who come into a joint knowing celebrities show up & who end up spending a lot more...

Add to that the effect of bringing up such a charge against a celebrity/athlete which would make the gossip circuit which would make an impact on celebrities/athletes showing up & you have a critically poor business decision...

Taking the story with a grain of salt is prudent but on the other hand, not hard to imagine in this day & age IMO...
Old 05-27-2007, 06:24 AM   #5
Anthony

It just so happens that I have a blog up on MySpace which deals with this very subject:

Click here to view it (and you don't have to belong to MySpace)
Old 05-27-2007, 06:37 AM   #6
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Vague is not an answer to anything...

This thread had a straight forward point & you refer to a blog of ever widening, less than specific points, Anthony...

Sure, until this is actually established as fact beyond reproach, it's not to be considered true but for a forum based on if this report is accurate, there's not a lot of cause to champion some Neanderthal mentality amongst the ever proven state of some of today's "entitled" spoiled, selfish athletes....

I guess I'd buy into your point if it was as simple as "Wait until it's been 100% verified" but your stance is more about "How dare anyone judge a public athletic figure" which I find stunningly amazing in it's tunnel vision view...

A+ for the effort in having your blog but C- for it's content. The reality in today's world points to more than a dream sequence I'm afraid...
Old 05-27-2007, 08:00 AM   #7
Anthony

Actually my point here is that instead of wringing one's hands in circumstances like this, why not do something concrete about it?

The same goes for the suspensions of Pac-Man Jones, Chris Henry etc.: The correct way to handle this is through the criminal justice system itself; while they're locked up in the stripey hole they cannot possibly play in the NFL, now can they?

I'm so tired of hearing this self-righteous, judgmental crap - especially since, in the vast majority of cases, those spewing it do not now, nor have they ever, practiced what they are now preaching.

P.S. Not to pry or anything, but how old are you, Tarkus? (I've got a pretty good idea).
Old 05-27-2007, 08:05 AM   #8
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post

P.S. Not to pry or anything, but how old are you, Tarkus? (I've got a pretty good idea).
I'll answer your thought, Anthony, but 1st I'd be real curious to hear your learned guess on my age even tho it's common knowledge on this site for anyone who's read threads...

Then I'll give you the age & answer to your post...
Old 05-27-2007, 08:14 AM   #9
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

I guess I'll have to assume you're taking a bathroom break since it shows you're sittin' on this thread...

I want to answer your thought but I'll wait patiently for your learned guess on my age...
Old 05-27-2007, 09:04 AM   #10
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

OK, Anthony...

You sat long enough on this thread & then mysteriously disappeared so I'll just forge ahead without you...

Yea, in that rambling blog was mentioned about what apparently you see as holier-than thou whistle blowers but that is never the point. Many less than stellar types bring up things of this nature but just cuz they're less than stellar doesn't detract from the point. Just like you cried foul about some of the National Esquire-type journalism about TO ( which on a secondary note, I agree with), the point remains how the spoiled "it wasn't me & everybody must hate me" athletes are as nauseating to me as apparently the sensationalized-type journalism is to you...

That's the type of reporting we see nowadays & ALL athletes know this. It behooves today's athletes to consciously be aware & minimize anything that can be misconstrued/distorted/etc., yet that doesn't seem to soak into a small % of today's athletes. They want the same treatment that John Doe gets at the corner grocery store...

Sorry, that's not today's circumstances & hearing whining about that doesn't change the facts. I'll leave open the possibility that Burress is innocent but I'll also leave open the possibility it's true since loud mouths, which Plaxico has shown to have, have been in the news with an angelic, wounded "Who? Me?" attitude. After all that's been in the headlines about idiotic displays by NFL players, it would seem to have been a prudent move to keep a low profile but somehow there seems a great chance that Burress seems to think otherwise...

So you're tired of the holier-than-thou whistle blowers? Great for you... I'm personally tired of all the excuse making millionaires who whine they're unfairly singled out while being a millionaire public figure in the spotlight (duhhh...) that goes with the territory or anyone who champions what I consider a lost cause...& that's great for me. So grace me with a more specific case against this particular story than a vague overview if you will....

But... amongst all of this, how come I'm hearing a question about my age? Nahhh...you can't be implying that my age has anything to do with my view, are you? That would be passive/aggressive. Maybe you believe my absence has mellowed me...trust me, it hasn't.

I guess I'll just leave that explanation on that along with your learned guess on my age for your return post....if you ever choose to belly up to the bar on that one...
Old 05-27-2007, 01:08 PM   #11
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

The fact is many rich, young athletes are spoiled jerks. It's part of their culture. They're poor, then given huge sums of money and expected to act reasonable. Not all are offenders, but the growing list of athletes like Pacman, Henry, etc. is not surprising. As for Tarkus and Anthony, while a good-natured debate is fine, let's not make it personal...
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 12:31 AM   #12
Anthony

Well I work at night and sleep during the day, accounting for my "disappearing."

And I assume that people don't bother putting a lot of info on their profiles - I have found that they tend not to in this community - but I did just look at yours Tarkus, and you're a mean-lookin' dude (this is the first time I've ever seen someone post a pic in their profile here) so I better not mess with you!
Old 06-01-2007, 09:54 PM   #13
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
And I assume that people don't bother putting a lot of info on their profiles - I have found that they tend not to in this community - but I did just look at yours Tarkus, and you're a mean-lookin' dude (this is the first time I've ever seen someone post a pic in their profile here) so I better not mess with you!
:lol:

This from a guy who's MySpace signature shows him flexing...

Let's leave this as good natured, albeit frisky, fun....
Old 06-02-2007, 06:40 PM   #14
Kamikaze
Football Maniac

Kamikaze is on a distinguished road

Anyone seen my original post??

It got lost somewhere around here
Old 06-02-2007, 07:09 PM   #15
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Sorry about that, K

If memory serves, before this thread to a side road, I'm almost positive I agreed with you...