Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Tennis

Old 02-07-2001, 04:48 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Arrow

What's your favorite tournament?

Here are (some) choices:

Australian Open
Frech Open
U.S. Open
Wimbledon

My favorite has to be Wimbledon.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2001, 05:05 PM   #2
Nate
Sports Virtuoso

Nate is on a distinguished road

I usually don't catch much Tennis, but when I do, it's usually Wimbledon. This is probably because I find it on during the summer. I really should watch more tennis.

Go Colts! Go Boilers! Go Pacers! [[email protected]nspencer]
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2001, 06:26 PM   #3
tennis4you

tennis4you is on a distinguished road
Default tys

I like the U.S. Open and the Australian Open the best b/c anyone's game has a shot at it. As opposed to the FO and Wim. it is seriously favoring certain types of players.

tennis4you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2001, 09:00 PM   #4
mattzeme
Rookie Player

mattzeme is on a distinguished road

For Americans, the two best tournaments are Wimbledon and the US Open, but they're great in dramatically different ways. Wimbledon is great sports television because of the tradition and character of the tournament as something distinguished from anything else on the tennis circuit. The tabloids, the aura of history that envelops Centre Court, and most importantly, the uniqueness of Breakfast at Wimbledon, and last but not least, the ever-changing grass playing surface makes for a fascinating fortnight at the most prestigious and venerated tournament in the world. It's the sense of stature that defines a Wimbledon atmosphere.

At the US Open, the atmosphere is different, but no less compelling. At the Open, tennis is a big-event slugfest: long nighttime epics, fifth-set tiebreakers, long sessions of live coverage on a holiday weekend, and most of all, the unique Super Saturday, with major singles semis and finals matches on one day in succession, make the US Open an action-packed American tennis festival.

In short, Wimbledon can claim a history and an aura of weighty significance, while the Open offers box office bang for the buck. And now with his move to CBS, it's an extra treat to listen to Dick Enberg comment gracefully on the Open instead of Wimbledon. (This is not to say that I don't dearly miss his Wimbledon commentaries; it's just that it's refreshing to hear Enberg in an American/US Open context these days.)
mattzeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2001, 09:28 PM   #5
NickHammy
Sports Virtuoso

NickHammy is on a distinguished road
Default Favorite tournament

My favorite would have to be the US. Open by far. First of all b/c it's on hard courts and in the US. For the Australian Open, I didn't even know it was going on until the last few days. Another reason would be that it is at a convientent time for me to watch most of the time.
NickHammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 11:18 AM   #6
coach tom
Grizzled Veteran

coach tom is on a distinguished road
Default Its no contest...

The Big W. The best of the tennis tournaments around. Tradition, tradition, tradition. Grass, strawberries and cream, champagne and afternoon tea.

There is no better place to see tennis, it has by far the best coverage, especially here in the U.S., and you can't help but root for the underdogs lurking out on court 14. Having been there in person, I can say that its as close to a tennis heaven or mecca as there is or ever will be.

If I could have one dying wish, it would be to be buried under the hallowed grass of Center Court...
Old 02-09-2001, 11:45 AM   #7
tennis4you

Default tradition

awww, come on now, that is my burial spot, right next to Pete Sampras.

I agree it is the best traditional tournament around. But in terms of viewing, I think the general public gets bored watching the serve and volley quick points. I love it, but I love the tournaments where the whole field has a chance better.

Speaking of the Big W, think Sampras can take 8? I am doubtful...
Old 02-09-2001, 01:59 PM   #8
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default Re: tys

Quote:
Originally posted by tennis4you
I like the U.S. Open and the Australian Open the best b/c anyone's game has a shot at it. As opposed to the FO and Wim. it is seriously favoring certain types of players.

I disagree. It isn't the tourament that's favoring "certain types of players", it's the big players that show up for the mega touraments. Sampras and Agassi always show up for Wimbledon, while some of the younger players don't.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 04:12 PM   #9
coach tom
Grizzled Veteran

coach tom is on a distinguished road
Default Sorry, I've already got dibs on my plot!

Well Scott, I am glad to see that you too have the desire to find your final resting place under the hallowed grass of the All England Lawn Tennis and Cricquet Club. I have already purchased my plot (I paid the head grounds keeper to keep the corner where Barry Gibb traditionally sits open for my 6' coffin). I believe there are some slots still available under the practice courts...

Alas, Pete will be a Semi-finalist at best. I bet he goes in to Wimbledon ranked about 6-8 in the world. That is a sure bet that he would have to face a Schalken, Ivanisevic, Kracjeck or Henmen much earlier in the tourney than in the past and based on what I have heard and seen, Pete makes the exit before the final. Schalken did unexpectedly well last year and could very well make the semi's. Andre is a toss up, but if he plays as well here as he did at the Aussie, he has to be a bookies even to make the final. I believe I picked Henmen to win it this year (along with Elena Dementieva on the fairer sexes' side) and I think that it will be. Only Philipousis stands in his way in my mind. Henmen will most likely spend a few extra weeks on the green stuff prior to the tournament to guarantee his success.

Mrs. Pete will look way out of place in the stands.

If the rumours are true, Steffi will have a belly full by the time they stop in London...won't the tabs have fun with that...

Old 02-09-2001, 04:21 PM   #10
tennis4you

Default hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Marc,

Now I have to disagree with you.

Clay and grass are a huge disadvantage or advantage depending on what tpye of player you are. Pete Sampras was a HUGE name for 7-8 years, and showed up for the tournament with hi sgame (most of the time, there were exceptions) yet he has never won the FO. Server and volley players look out of place there, likewise a Corretja at Wimbledon. I think he was so scared to even play on grass and that is the reason he dropped out last year, not b/c of modified rankings...

It is rare that a true baseliner will win Wimbledon, Agassi did it, and almost did it the last 2 years, but he is a special case in hand. When I look at the AO and the US, harder surfaces, good for most types of players it makes it more interesting for me b/c who doesn't have a shot? Sampras can have a bad day at Wimbledon and still win, but if you have a bad day at the US, you may not slide by.