Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2009, 03:43 PM   #4426
themush
Banned
 
themush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tampa, Fl
Posts: 8,839
themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about
Default

themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:57 PM   #4427
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3
 
davematthews3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Sussex NJ
Posts: 2,305
davematthews3 is on a distinguished road
Default

Amen Tark Amen.
__________________
Danny:I haven't even told my father I'm not gonna get that scholarship. I'm gonna end up working in a lumberyard the rest of my life.
Ty:What's wrong with lumber? I own two lumberyards
Danny: notice you don't spend too much time there
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:19 PM   #4428
Marc
Administrator
 
Marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Lake Wylie, SC
Posts: 26,434
Marc will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
He doesn't get it, Mush...

This board is dead & all the defensive posturing in the world won't change that fact. Bringing up the 'main site' success has absolutely nothing to do with this board.

He says he doesn't have the time which is fine by me but to keep countering any regular's frustration of it's lack of guidance is beyond me. Like a few regulars here, I've spent the effort thru 11,500+ posts & countless threads to help this site including a ton of posts that were including members from 13 years old ( as tho I needed 13 year old 'friends' ) & not much above just to make them also comfortable in growing with SC even tho I guarantee I've been much busier than him.

So excuse the F out of me if I let off a little steam here & there about the end result but "I've done my time but committed no crime" & have earned the right to speak as far as I'm concerned. Being given snide remarks that this board is floundering due to reasons like [it's our fault] shows no thanks for our loyalty & effort thru the years & shows no loyalty to us.

It is what it is but hearing things like it's been around since 1998 is laughable in a Greek tragedy sort of way. Maybe the 'main site' is doing well but the MB side is non existent. Like I before said, even the trolls have better things to do...
I'm going to get around to putting a fresh coat of paint on the place in the form of a new design/look. But I have to first find a designer, spend money on it, and then implement it, and the design/technical aspect of the site is not my strongpoint. And to be honest, I don't know if the design is the solution, but it may be worth a shot just for change sake. Just understand that a lot has to go into it and I guess I haven't rushed to do it since the current design works just fine.

I should also make it clear that I'm not blaming anyone nor denying the current state of the SCMB. What's in the past is in the past and you'll just have to take me for my word now. I'm extremely thankful for each and every member here. Frustrated? Sure, because it seems the only thing want to do is b1tch and whine rather than post about sports. The constants in all this are me and the setup of this site, and those things have led to success in the past, so I'm not sure why they're suddenly the problem now. I don't have any issues with anybody. I do my best to implement your feedback: case in point, allowing signature images. I come here to discuss sports, and I'm frustrated that some of you only come here to complain and don't make an effort now to make a positive contribution.
__________________
Marc James - SCMB Administrator | Sports Central Managing Editor & Founder
Teams: [Kentucky Wildcats] [Green Bay Packers] [Charlotte Hornets]
Follow on Twitter: @mnjames | @sportcentral
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:16 PM   #4429
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker
 
Tarkus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: In The Wind...
Posts: 11,856
Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
I'm going to get around to putting a fresh coat of paint on the place in the form of a new design/look. But I have to first find a designer, spend money on it, and then implement it, and the design/technical aspect of the site is not my strongpoint. And to be honest, I don't know if the design is the solution, but it may be worth a shot just for change sake. Just understand that a lot has to go into it and I guess I haven't rushed to do it since the current design works just fine.
Anything is a positive at this stage...

Quote:
I should also make it clear that I'm not blaming anyone nor denying the current state of the SCMB. What's in the past is in the past and you'll just have to take me for my word now. I'm extremely thankful for each and every member here. Frustrated? Sure, because it seems the only thing want to do is b1tch and whine rather than post about sports. The constants in all this are me and the setup of this site, and those things have led to success in the past, so I'm not sure why they're suddenly the problem now. I don't have any issues with anybody. I do my best to implement your feedback: case in point, allowing signature images. I come here to discuss sports, and I'm frustrated that some of you only come here to complain and don't make an effort now to make a positive contribution.
**sigh**

It's nice that you want to put some new things into play here but you keep relying on the past as tho it's relevant now.

MBs are not an easy proposition for anyone to tackle but it takes more than a fresh coat of paint & sig images to turn this around. You are older & a different person now but you can't sit back on your past laurels to defend the current state of affairs. Remember that you had older, more experienced guys who gave you guidance when you needed it. Without them, from Nate all the way down, you would have floundered. In other words, you get some credit but just cuz your name is on the front door doesn't mean it was all you.

MBs are under attack from the text, IM, Twitter, Facebook, etc. crowd but there's still a major amount of MB posters out there. Evidence that by the amount of sites that are large & still going strong. Big difference, for example, is that they're always tweaking their site & emailing for new mods, 'headline' reporters, etc. to keep infusing the site with change. At SC, it's run rudderless for the most part for ages.

MB posters come in various forms, from thread starters down thru posters who need something to talk about & who will jump in to what interests them. I've watched quite a few members who would come on, read what there is & then just leave. That's a failing in 'vision' from the top down thru the mods. It's not just about the members.

As far as just *****ing & moaning? Hell, there's been looooong stretches where I've done nothing but fill this board with threads & posts till I was sick of seeing the main MB page show my name on damn near 90% of the active threads. Buckeye has done even more to try to stimulate convo with his outrageous amount of threads alone. There's been others who have spent an ungodly amount of effort also.

With no new blood, all you're left with is a small amount of members who already know what the others views are on the whole or have contentious relationships that can & do end up in flame wars.

& then there's you...

For all we know, you may be a fun guy to hang out with but all we see is that it doesn't take much looking to find you being a smart ass to new members in the 'Hello' forum, hitting on the occasional noobie female while bragging you're the owner & drive a BMW or being snide to the last regulars who have been begging for some change around here for too long & have posted their frustration. Then add in all the bannings that weren't necessary since those members were only trying to either rile you or were stating the obvious problems here. Seriously, you need to check your ego at the door if only cuz it's good for business.

Tell you what, if you're interested how much impact posting about sports will do in SC's current state, I'll post up a storm for a week & show that it may garner a reply or 2 at best. It didn't work in the past & it will only be worse since there's no one basically left. (Of course that fact flies in the face of that main page stat of '61' active members on the MB. )

Of course maybe it's that no one likes me.

However, I've seen others do it & it doesn't do much good for them either. Even those CBS 'refugees' (which was a joke cuz I'm sure the majority have filtered back over to CBS even with their new 'site') pointed out that this site had the feel of being too restricting & stifling.

Well, I just realized I've started a new 'novel' here. The issues are too broad & far reaching to write down in 1 post so that's enough for me.

If you really do put some major effort into this board maybe there's a chance to turn it around but that means putting away all the excuses like "We're high up on the Google search". That means nothing except that someone has given SC a 'hit', not that they came, liked what they saw, signed up & actually stayed awhile...
__________________
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:11 PM   #4430
themush
Banned
 
themush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tampa, Fl
Posts: 8,839
themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about
Default

Tark you hit it on the head. Who wants to join a board with limits and restrictions? I know there has to be some rules, but let's open the board to people who want to voice an opinion without have to worry about the Mod police.

I would cancel the bad language "stars" and allow us adults to use words and phrases that we are feeling towards sports news. If a F bomb is dropped it's probably because that person is pissed about that subject. We are (for the most part) all adults here. If the bad words upset some people then they are not the hardcore "fans" we need in here.

Secondly, why not start a arcade or a poker room for the posters that have logged time in here? Not a reward but something to get people interested in the site? Or some sort of VIP lounge for posters with x amount of posts?

I know you started this site when you were young Marc, but lets open the door a little bit, what do ya say?
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:48 AM   #4431
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker
 
Tarkus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: In The Wind...
Posts: 11,856
Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about
Default

Just opened MSN & found it's written in Spanish (I think).

Did I oversleep & miss the revolution?

edit: Just happened again. Now I see it's probably Portuguese since it's from Brazil. New MSN sponsor?
__________________

Last edited by Tarkus; 07-08-2009 at 02:51 PM.
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:41 PM   #4432
buckeyefan78
Happy Land
 
buckeyefan78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 12,864
buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default

It's posts like these that make me hope I can get Tark in a classroom.

At the very least he can watch them for 15 minutes or so in the middle of the day while I get drunk or high so I can continue on...
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:53 AM   #4433
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker
 
Tarkus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: In The Wind...
Posts: 11,856
Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about
Default



Since you put it that way, how can I refuse to help you get some 'quality time'?
__________________
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:46 AM   #4434
Ellis
gymnopedist
 
Ellis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Hyde Park
Posts: 8,140
Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about
Default sc

Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:51 PM   #4435
themush
Banned
 
themush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tampa, Fl
Posts: 8,839
themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about
Default

4 posts in here within a 24 hour period....The Resurrection?
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:29 PM   #4436
buckeyefan78
Happy Land
 
buckeyefan78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 12,864
buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by themush View Post
4 posts in here within a 24 hour period....The Resurrection?
I don't know about that but I'm still waiting on Marc's R-Rated Forum to unfold.

I figure if we borrow half of your porn collection that will keep that thread going for 50 years...at the very least.

Tark -

I'll see you August 31st in my classroom. Bring the hip waders and a shovel.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:44 PM   #4437
Marc
Administrator
 
Marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Lake Wylie, SC
Posts: 26,434
Marc will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
Remember that you had older, more experienced guys who gave you guidance when you needed it. Without them, from Nate all the way down, you would have floundered. In other words, you get some credit but just cuz your name is on the front door doesn't mean it was all you.
Completely disagree. First of all, Nate is roughly the same age as me, give or take a year or two. 20,000 posts and 11 years of daily work and I deserve more credit than a name on the door. The mods here have been great, but the site is entirely up to me, from the behind-the-scenes technical upgrades on down. I do everything. You have trouble with other examples because there aren't any. I didn't suddenly stop taking advice and guidance from others. And I'm disgusted you act like it's a foregone conclusion I would have "floundered" had it not been for the help of "others," which you vaguely allude to simply because no other example exist. At 23, this is my entire life's work, and you're attacking it, so I take it very personally.

Quote:
For all we know, you may be a fun guy to hang out with but all we see is that it doesn't take much looking to find you being a smart ass to new members in the 'Hello' forum
WTF are you talking about? I am a sarcastic person. Perhaps you mistook that for "smart-ass." I may have mentioned how a new member disappeared, but only did so once it was clear they came and left. I am friendly and welcoming to all new members, trying to engage them in discussion about where they're from, their teams, etc.

Quote:
hitting on the occasional noobie female while bragging you're the owner & drive a BMW
I've never once done that. Complete BS.

Quote:
or being snide to the last regulars who have been begging for some change around here for too long & have posted their frustration
What kind of change can there really be? It's a sports forum, it's already setup and organized in the best fashion possible, I've tweaked some things at members' requests, but the bottom line is it comes down to the posters, not me. And by the way, other than you and buckeye (and mush, who is the third wheel in your little gang), I have good relationships with regular posters. In fact, I've had former posters say they won't post due to you all.

Quote:
Then add in all the bannings that weren't necessary since those members were only trying to either rile you or were stating the obvious problems here. Seriously, you need to check your ego at the door if only cuz it's good for business.
I'm not taking back a single banning I've made. First of all, maybe 1% of members are banned, so it's not as if I ban anyone who I dislike or argue with. The big red button gets pushed SELDOMLY, quit acting like it's otherwise. Secondly, rules are rules. It explicitly says you agree to the rules when you register.

If someone is banned before and signs up again, that's grounds for banishment again, regardless of what they say on their new accounts. Just because you break out of the jail doesn't mean you can roam free. And if those posters are here JUST to rile me up, it means they are a TROLL, another grounds for banishment. This community doesn't need former banned members roaming around with grudges; they are only here to serve a negative purpose. It doesn't matter what they say, they are banned members who were originally banned for a reason and will be banned again.

Quote:
Tell you what, if you're interested how much impact posting about sports will do in SC's current state, I'll post up a storm for a week & show that it may garner a reply or 2 at best. It didn't work in the past & it will only be worse since there's no one basically left. (Of course that fact flies in the face of that main page stat of '61' active members on the MB. )
Buckeye already tried this to prove his "point." I'm sure you can pat yourself on the back and act like you did all you can do at the end of the week, and that it's ultimately my fault for everything. Making new threads is good, I would appreciate you doing that, but it's making sure things stay relatively active over the long-haul that will do most good. Posting a flurry of new threads is not going to do a lot of good. Moderation and consistency is key.

Quote:
However, I've seen others do it & it doesn't do much good for them either. Even those CBS 'refugees' (which was a joke cuz I'm sure the majority have filtered back over to CBS even with their new 'site') pointed out that this site had the feel of being too restricting & stifling.
Yeah, because we don't let trolls roam around with F-bombs and porn links everywhere. SO restrictive. The fact is this site was created to be an ALTERNATIVE to the CRAP on ESPN, CBS, etc. Those sites are unmoderated and jungles of trolls, flame wars, spam, and ignorance (14-year-old boys saying Romo is gay, etc.). The SCMB is not restrictive in any way that hurts quality sports discussion from starting. Differing viewpoints are welcome, as are arguments and heated discussion. Sorry we have SOME rules, but this site is VERY open and unrestricting.

Quote:
If you really do put some major effort into this board maybe there's a chance to turn it around but that means putting away all the excuses like "We're high up on the Google search". That means nothing except that someone has given SC a 'hit', not that they came, liked what they saw, signed up & actually stayed awhile...
I agree. You've made your point. None of us are happy (at least I hope not) about the site's activity. There is NO point in harping on about it. It's clear, I don't deny it. If you truly want to turn it around, start by having a positive attitude and posting regularly. Threads like this DETER new members. And some of you b1tch about lack of activity when in fact your b1tching is a big reason why there's not more activity. If a group of us get together, talk about sports, talk about light-hearted Lounge topics, just move on from this harping, THAT is going to be what plants the seed for new members to see an active place and want to join in. Put yourself in the shoes of a new members. This site is established, but needs current activity, so all we have to do is create that. The job is a lot easier than starting from scratch.
__________________
Marc James - SCMB Administrator | Sports Central Managing Editor & Founder
Teams: [Kentucky Wildcats] [Green Bay Packers] [Charlotte Hornets]
Follow on Twitter: @mnjames | @sportcentral
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:51 PM   #4438
Marc
Administrator
 
Marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Lake Wylie, SC
Posts: 26,434
Marc will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by themush View Post
I would cancel the bad language "stars" and allow us adults to use words and phrases that we are feeling towards sports news. If a F bomb is dropped it's probably because that person is pissed about that subject. We are (for the most part) all adults here. If the bad words upset some people then they are not the hardcore "fans" we need in here.
Fuck it, I'll give it a try. But I don't want it to get out of hand. Don't use the language just for the sake of using it. I don't want every thread to have a curse word in it. Let's act like responsible adults or this will be revoked.

Quote:
Secondly, why not start a arcade or a poker room for the posters that have logged time in here? Not a reward but something to get people interested in the site? Or some sort of VIP lounge for posters with x amount of posts?
That's actually a REALLY good idea, mush. Some way to reward veteran posters, maybe a private board at the least? Would you all be up for that? What about "Members of the Month" awards? Maybe give them a badge under their name and access to a private board or something ... keep the ideas coming. I am open-minded...
__________________
Marc James - SCMB Administrator | Sports Central Managing Editor & Founder
Teams: [Kentucky Wildcats] [Green Bay Packers] [Charlotte Hornets]
Follow on Twitter: @mnjames | @sportcentral
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:58 PM   #4439
buckeyefan78
Happy Land
 
buckeyefan78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 12,864
buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default

Boys have a penis. Girls have a vagina.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:01 PM   #4440
buckeyefan78
Happy Land
 
buckeyefan78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 12,864
buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default

^

Hot damn, it works!!!!!!!!!!!
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 36 (0 members and 36 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SC Newsfeed: An American's Sports Odyssey Into Soccer Marc Latest Sports Central Headlines 0 10-01-2007 06:22 PM
Won't be posting much Kornbix The Lounge 9 11-29-2003 01:05 PM
Increased Posting on the Boards...? air_canada Site Feedback 24 05-28-2002 09:12 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:46 AM.