Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 09-18-2002, 12:12 AM   #1
poptart
Banned

poptart is on a distinguished road
Default The Chiefs are circling the drain.....

......again.

This organization has not won squat since Porky Stram was prowling the sidelines in his 3-sizes-too-small red vest yapping away nonsensically at whoever was unfortunate enough to go near his egomaniacal self.

What was that, like 45 years ago or some damn thing?

Sad state of affairs.

So.....when the Richard Vermiel hiring was consumated I was treated to a chorus of myopic joy from Chief fan, who were CERTAIN that their new man would be the savior for this increasingly feeble organization. I calmly assured them that as long as King Carl Peterson is the GM there they are not going to win diddly-poo, and that they sure as all hell would not win with an over the hill coach who sobs like a little girl who's lost her favorite doll every other day.

The fans of KC truly DO deserve better. They are among the most loyal and passionate in the league.....and that is frankly part of the problem.
The front office does not have a deep enough commitment to winning in large part because they know the stadium will sell out. Always has and always will. They pay lip service to winning, but the truth of the matter is that the fans are getting used like a piece of toilet paper here.

This year's edition of the Chiefs SHOULD be 0-2 right now and facing 0-3 by going to New England this week.
They were given an absolute gift in Cleveland and looked like dog-dirt against a poor J-ville team at home.
The defense is among the worst in the league and the offense sputters to start like a 74 Pinto.
TrINT Green also has a particularly troubling fetish for tossing the rock to the guys in the wrong colored uni's.
Odd fella he is.

The schedule will do KC no favors now either. It stiffens considerably from what was really a fairly soft start. Sucks for the Chiefs that J-vill and Cleveland don't appear every week.

It all adds up to about 6-10 again if you ask me.

Stop buying that fools gold, Chief fan.
poptart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 03:47 AM   #2
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Truth be told, the Chiefs defense has still never recovered from the Derrick Thomas tragedy, and Trent Green is one of these "numbers" guys who simply hasn't gotten it done so far as wins and losses are concerned. Vermeil definitely shouldn't have come back after he led St. Louis to a Super Bowl championship, and while I won't indulge in poptart-style witty sarcasm, let me say that he may not have gone quite far enough about KC's final record, which figures to be more like 5-11 or even 4-12.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 10:55 PM   #3
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I don't think Green is overrated, but I think his abilities were when he played for St. Louis, once ahead of Warner in the depth charts. It just shows anyone can put up good numbers in that offense, and he rode that going in K.C. One guy you forgot to mention is Priest Holmes, the reigning leading-rusher in the entire league and he's off to another good start this year. But I do agree that their once-proud defense is in shambles this year.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 03:42 AM   #4
Anthony

Trent Green actually does what people have accused Rob Johnson of doing: Taking sacks to preserve his passer rating. The Redskins allowed a highly mysterious 61 sacks in Green's "breakout" season in 1998 - and it wasn't because he is "immobile" either; on quite a few occasions that year I saw him run out of the pocket and make some big gains rushing. One can hardly blame him, though; he used the numbers he "earned" at Washington in '98 to shop himself around the following spring as a free agent and get a big contract from St. Louis; then of course, he got injured in preseason, Kurt Warner took over, and the rest is, as they say, history.

And as far as Priest Holmes goes: He's gained over 1,000 yards twice (with Baltimore in 1998 and with Kansas City last year) and both times the team he played on finished 6-10. Let him gain 1,000 yards on a team that makes the playoffs and then come back to me singing his praises!
Old 09-19-2002, 10:51 AM   #5
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Anthony, are you saying that Trent Green takes sacks instead of throwing the ball away to preserve his passing rating...or did I read that wrong? I don't think Green does that at all, I think he tries to make plays....he is not the smartest guy at the Qb position as well! I mean how can you really say he takes sacks to preserve his passing rating...that is not a fact at all! That is your opinion, and well I just don't feel Green would hurt his team so that his passing stats would look better. Where did you come up with this?

Joey
Old 09-19-2002, 07:11 PM   #6
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I also find it hard to believe a quarterback would care about his passing rating -- especially enough to affect the way he plays the game!
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 03:50 AM   #7
Anthony

It's not like I'm the only one who has ever said this; when Green signed with St. Louis for all that money, more than one sportswriter "wondered aloud" about the 61 sacks the Redskins had allowed the year before. And Green and Rob Johnson are hardly the first quarterbacks to be accused of doing this; as far back as the late '80s, comments of this nature were frequently being made about Ken O'Brien and Randall Cunningham, just to name two (O'Brien especially).

Which is why the whole method of rating quarterbacks needs to be changed: If you take away the incentive to take sacks rather than throw the ball away, no one would ever make these kind of allegations.
Old 09-20-2002, 11:00 AM   #8
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

Well, if these allegations are true...then it makes me sick...and I would totally lose respect for any Qb that did such a thing. I guess allegations and opinions can be formed about why a Qb is getting sacked too often....but I seriously do not think that a Qb hurts his team in the process of keeping his passing rating above water!

Joey
Old 09-20-2002, 01:04 PM   #9
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road

I work for the all-sports radio station in KC during the morning talk show so all I've heard about the last three weeks is Trent Green and the Chiefs. I can't speak for his year in Washinton, but trust me, he is not taking sacks to protect his QB rating here. If he takes a sack in KC, its because he's too indecicive in the pocket. Although there are times I'd rather see a sack than see him under throw the ball into double coverage.
I was in St. Louis during his tenure there as well and the best two games he ever had in the last 4 years were his first two preseason games with the Rams. He has never fully recovered either physically or mentally from blowing his knee out. He still favors it during the game, throwing off his back foot instead of planting and throwing.
And doubt Priest Holmes all you want, but he's got two 1,000 yards seasons and a Superbowl ring. Tough to argue with that.

-RB
Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 02:32 PM   #10
ABDUL
Banned

ABDUL is on a distinguished road

You people make daring judgments after only 2 weeks into the season. The KC defense has been a little shady, but I believe they are among the best in the league. Once they defeat the PATS, people will start saying whats wrong with New England? Winning cures everything, and this Sunday will prove that Mr. Pederson has dethroned yet another champ. Long live the Chiefs, Trent Green, Joe Delaney, Hank Stram, D.T. and even the Defense. Peace Out!
ABDUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 05:23 PM   #11
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

Abdul enjoy those dreams during nap time!
Old 09-20-2002, 10:32 PM   #12
poptart
Banned

Wrongo sparky, I make "daring" judgements after seeing that the Huckelberry Boys have not had a sniff of Championship ball since 'bout the time straight on kickers were all the rage.

Hmmmm......or was it just before leather helmets went outta style.....LOL.

At any rate, it's been a pathetically looooooooooooong-ass time.

You thinks the KC defense is among the best in the league, huh???

Uhhhh.......sure, who wouldn't

Let's see.....they only got lit up by the Brownies second string QB to the tune of 39 pts and then watched the all-powerful Jacksonville Jags run a 16 wheeler over they back in week two.

Sure, the stuff Championship football is made of. Porky would be proud.

The mighty Chiefs sit at 31st in the league in defense, looking up into the asses of 30 other teams in the National Football League.

Any more fairytales for us, Princess?
Old 09-21-2002, 04:38 AM   #13
Anthony

It's extremely simplistic to blame the offensive line every time the quarterback gets sacked. Some quarterbacks simply hold the ball too long (Donovan McNabb is often cited), or the sacks can be "coverage sacks" because the receivers are too slow to separate from their defenders (the Eagles have allowed more sacks than the league average for the last 20 consecutive years, and not at all coincidentally, have not had a single certifiable "burner" at wide receiver at any time during that period).

Still, all of these innuendoes about quarterbacks "taking sacks" to keep their passer rating up are both disturbing and unnecessary; if the league would simply change the criteria for determining the rating to include plays on which the quarterback is sacked (the subject of a thread I started here not long ago), all of this talk would stop.
Old 09-21-2002, 01:55 PM   #14
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

The J is on a distinguished road

Hey, KC is a talented team offensively. I would be happy with Trent Green, Priest Holmes, Johnnie Morton, Tony Gonzalez, Tony Richardson and Snoop Minnis. Their D-Line is full of studs, it's just their back seven that's a problem.
Old 09-21-2002, 02:36 PM   #15
poptart
Banned

No doubt, J.

The Chiefs offense has the ability to do some damage.

If they score about 40 a game the team will go......uhhh.....'bout 8-8.