Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 07-18-2003, 04:56 AM   #1
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Flop Teams

Which NFL team will suffer the greatest drop-off in 2003 from where they finished in 2002? Likely candidates include, but are not limited to, the following:

Philadelphia Eagles: Wide receiver is to this team what third base was to the New York Mets for about the first 20 years of their existence: No matter what they do, they just can't seem to find the answer at the position. With no deterrent for opponents to blitz, this leaves Donovan McNabb far more vulnerable to injury than he would be otherwise. Could last November's scare against Arizona prove to be only a mild foretaste of what's to come? Plus their front seven on defense remains profoundly undersized, and could get more so if middle linebacker Levon Kirkland is not retained; not only that, the Eagles have also lost Hugh Douglas, and it remains to be seen how adequately top draft pick Jerome McDougle performs in his spot. Finally, Philadelphia's 2003 schedule is 72 percentage points more difficult than last year's - this is the steepest jump in strength of schedule in the NFL this season. And even if the Eagles do manage to overcome all of the above, here's one final fact: Their loss to Tampa Bay at home in last year's NFC championship game made them the 26th team in the Super Bowl era to lose at home in the round immediately before the Super Bowl - and not one of the first 25 won the Super Bowl the following year.

Pittsburgh Steelers: Tommy Maddox could very well be a one-year flash in the pan - and if that does turn out to be the case, the mediocre (to be charitable) Charlie Batch would have to step in because Kordell Stewart has left for Chicago. Jerome Bettis may be at the end of his rope as well. The defense remains a strong point, but how many times can a team win 7-3 or 10-7 in one season?

Denver Broncos: Is Jake Plummer really any upgrade over Brian Griese? Seven of Denver's 16 games are against teams that had winning records in 2002, and Plummer is 3-28 lifetime against over-.500 opposition. But isn't Mike Shanahan the most brilliant mind in the NFL? Yeah, right.

Will the "honor" fall to one of these three, or perhaps some other team? Your thoughts please.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 01:44 PM   #2
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Of the three teams you have on your list Anthony, I am leaning towards the Broncos being the biggest possible flop. One reason being that I am not quite impressed with the Broncos secondary. They let go of Denard Walker, who really was not working out for them, and they are left with Delta O'neal at corner with another corner to be announced. The Broncos picked up Lee Flowers, who is a good tackler, but will give up some pass plays. I do like Kenoy Kennedy in their secondary though, but overall their secondary is a weakness from where I see it. I do believe the Broncos can stop the run, but not too optimistic about them stopping the pass. Plummer should have better success in the Bronco system, but until we see that success, he still has to be questioned as the starting qb. If Plummer can't succeed in this system, he may never succeed anywhere in the NFL.

Now looking at the Steelers, obviously they had more than their share of secondary problems a season ago, and that has to be their major concern going into this season. I don't think the Steelers will flop though for these reasons....

Kendrell Bell was injuried a majority of the season a year ago, and when he comes back healthy this season that defense will be much better.

While Bettis is at the end of his rope, Amos Zereoue has just started to grasp his rope, and he should be fairly effective this season in the backfield for the Steelers.

The Steelers have won with what most would consider subpar quarterbacks in the past, so I think Maddox or Batch could get the job done for that team and within their division.

The Steelers have quite possibly the best receiving corps in the NFL with Ward, Burress, and Randel El. It would be hard for a qb not to be at least half way decent with those receivers.

Remember the Steelers play in a division that has one team who has been the laughing stock of the NFL, another who lost a ton of key defensive players, and another who is trying to get back on track after salary cap hell. I am not sold on the Steelers being a flop by any means. They might not win as many games, but I have a hard time seeing them dip below the 8-8 mark this upcoming season.

Joey
Old 07-18-2003, 06:11 PM   #3
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

The longer Anthony hollers fire regarding his Eagles, the more I wonder how right he is. I think this division is ripe for the Giants this year, and I could see the Eagles falling flat. He failed to mention that the Eagles starting RB from a year ago is threatening to holdout, while their likely #2 is coming back from ACL injury, if memory serves, after missing all of last season. They'll probably win their first ten games, but I think they have as high a floppability as anyone else he mentioned.

Steelers-- I, for one, will not be surprised if the Steelers don't win their division. Maddox could very well flame out. His receivers matter for nothing if he can't dig the ball out of the dirt. A weaker offensive line, a less mobile QB than in recent years, and a running game that seems like it might be more predicated on the pass, which could fail, all line up for Steelers failure. The Steelers made only one move on defense in an attempt to shore up their struggles stopping the run last season. Drafting Polamalu will help, in 2004. The corners are occasionally atrocious, and when they're good, they're still rather bad. They should be able to get a pretty good pass rush with LB blitzes (as always), but that will leave them vulnerable to Todd Heap on the six-yard TE cross. And Heap can just bowl over the Steelers secondary. I, for one, expect to be calling for Cowher's head by week seven.

Denver-- My confidence in Plummer is so low, that I'll go ahead and predict that if the Broncos are to win eight games this year, they'll all be with Beuerlein at the helm. Plummer's only saving grace is Clinton Portis. Finally, Plummer will have a dominant running back behind a dominant offensive line. However, if the Broncos are to win, they'll require a steady diet of Portis handoffs. Too many Plummer passes go astray for him to be trusted. I don't expect the Broncos to flop-- I don't expect that much of them anyway; calling them a flop means there was an expectation, and the only expectation I have in INTs galore. And maybe some revisionist history by Shanahan boot-lickers.

Dave
Old 07-18-2003, 10:05 PM   #4
Brad O.

Brad O. will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by MountaineerDave
The longer Anthony hollers fire regarding his Eagles, the more I wonder how right he is.
Don't give in, Dave!

The same thing happened last year, only then he kept posting about how much McNabb sucked and that the Redskins would win the East. We read it so many times that I think we all believed it, and everyone on the SCMB overrated Washington in our pre-season rankings -- all eight people who predicted records had them over the 7-9 they actually finished, and most of us had them in double digits. That doesn't even include Anthony's 12-4 prediction, posted in another thread.

The Eagles haven't really lost anyone except Douglas and Mitchell, but last time around they lost Trotter and (effectively) Buckhalter and people thought the sky was falling. It didn't happen, even when McNabb went down*. Bet on the Eagles again this year.

As for flops, I think the 49ers could be set up for a fall.

* If you scroll down a bit you'll come to the classic quote "The choices for the Eagles are now obvious: Either they sign Elvis Grbac or face a certain 7-9 finish."

Last edited by Brad O.; 07-18-2003 at 10:14 PM.
Brad O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 11:27 PM   #5
TRAVIS13
Banned

TRAVIS13 is on a distinguished road

I agree with all of your flops anthony. You are da man LOL. eagles were overated last year anyway and they got smacked in the mouth by tampa. mcnabb doesn,t impress me that much. it,s time for them to go down. Pittsburgh will fail to. They win a lot because they always play in an easy division and then bill COWARD gets his ass handed to him every year when it counts. Nope they won,t even maeke the playoffs this year. Denver stinks. There coach is another overated one. Jake Plummer???? HAHAHA joke. They,ll finish last in the afc west.

t13 is out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TRAVIS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 11:29 PM   #6
Ross
Hall of Famer

Ross is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Flop Teams

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony
Is Jake Plummer really any upgrade over Brian Griese?
HE11 YEAH he is. Plummer was on a crap team, and only had one guy to throw to. He'll have Smith, McCaffery, Lelie, Sharpe, etc. to throw to. Also, at least he has a pair of nadz unlike Nancy Boy Griese.

Oh yeah, about the schedule, less than half of the games are against +.500 teams, and don't half of the teams (by average) have winning records.

And why are the Broncos under flop teams? No one is expecting them to do anything this year, and you can't flop much harder than having a 6-2 record midway through the season and then finishing out of the playoffs.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 02:20 AM   #7
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

The Browns will flop.
Old 07-19-2003, 03:19 AM   #8
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

I don't buy the argument that Plummer was on a bum team, because every year Plummer was in Arizona, they had solid wide receivers, solid offensive line and a decent running back, yet Plummer failed to produce. Plummer needs to take a lot of the blame for Arizona not going anywhere. More than half of the NFL teams would trade their entire offense, with the exception of the QBs, for that Plummer had in Arizona. Frank Sanders, Rob Moore. The guy had talented wide outs that he consistently overthrew, or just lobbed a ball for a defender.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 04:22 AM   #9
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad O.
Don't give in, Dave!

The same thing happened last year, only then he kept posting about how much McNabb sucked and that the Redskins would win the East. We read it so many times that I think we all believed it, and everyone on the SCMB overrated Washington in our pre-season rankings -- all eight people who predicted records had them over the 7-9 they actually finished, and most of us had them in double digits. That doesn't even include Anthony's 12-4 prediction, posted in another thread.

The Eagles haven't really lost anyone except Douglas and Mitchell, but last time around they lost Trotter and (effectively) Buckhalter and people thought the sky was falling. It didn't happen, even when McNabb went down*. Bet on the Eagles again this year.

As for flops, I think the 49ers could be set up for a fall.

* If you scroll down a bit you'll come to the classic quote "The choices for the Eagles are now obvious: Either they sign Elvis Grbac or face a certain 7-9 finish."

Yes, a link is provided to my thread on last year's picks, but one fact is conveniently left out - and that is that the Eagles were picked by me to finish 11-5 - the same record as they had the previous year (2001). For this season, I'll make a very specific prediction: Mark October 19th down on your calendars - for on that day, Donovan McNabb will suffer a season-ending injury against the Giants at Club Med (either a broken leg or a devastating knee injury); call it poetic justice for Brian Dawkins' dirty, cowardly hit on Ike Hilliard of a year ago.

As for the Redskins, suffice it to say that there's one mistake I most assuredly will not repeat when I post my 2003 picks in a few weeks - indeed, only the fact that Dallas has the worst quarterbacking that any NFL team has entered a season with since the merger will keep Washington out of the NFC East cellar.

And no way do the 49ers drop in record at all this season from what they did last year. While I agree with Dennis Erickson's basic philosophy, his results with Seattle speak for themselves, and I almost don't begrudge Jesse Jackson & Co. for howling about the "old (white) boy network" that proved itself to be alive and well with Erickson's hiring. Even so, the 49ers are taking such a massive drop in strength of schedule (along with everyone else in their division) that even Marty Mornhinweg could lead them to 10 or 11 wins this year.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 10:38 PM   #10
rickcoyle
Grizzled Veteran

rickcoyle is on a distinguished road

The Broncos will be okay and so will the eagles. But I am slightly disappointed in anyone who thinks the steelers will be a flop and lose the division. In fact, anyone who thinks the steelers wont win is a moron. Yes a moron. First of all, the steelers have the best receiving core in the NFL. No one can disagree with that. When you have great receivers you dont need a perfect quarterback. Ill agree that Maddox will turn out to be a backup but it wont make enough difference to cause the steelers to lose the division. The steelers secondary will greatly improve with additions of Troy Pomlalu and the return of Kendrall Bell. I dont think the Steelers will win the super bowl. I dont think the steelers will a playoff game. But they win the division. No doubt about it. Think about it... Who are they gonna lose to. The Brownies, the Bungals, the Ravens.

I dont think so.

o yeah.... and Mr. Travis, if you truly believe that the eagles and the steelers will fall then obviously you know nothing about football.

"They hate to love me"
~Terrell Owens~

Last edited by rickcoyle; 07-19-2003 at 10:41 PM.
rickcoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 04:01 AM   #11
Fallfever
Sports Enthusiast

Fallfever is on a distinguished road

The bottom line is that the Niners dropped a winning coach and picked up a losing coach. Thats a real bad idea unless you're looking for a yes man to do the bidding of Bill Walsh.
After Paul Allen bought the Seahawks, he opened his wallet to scoop up every free agent available but Ericson still bombed. In training camp, one veteran said that there was so much talent here that only the coaches could screw it up. Good call.
The main problem with ericson is that he doesn't command the respect of the (NFL) players and seems to disappear when losing.

By the way, I might be a little biased due to my WHITE HOT HATRED for this team!

The Eagles have been extremely good at developing unknown talent over the last few years and keep putting out competitive teams. If that is truly due to good management and coaching then they will be just as good this year. If it was just luck then it may run out.

Last edited by Fallfever; 07-20-2003 at 04:04 AM.
Fallfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 12:51 PM   #12
TRAVIS13
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by rickcoyle

o yeah.... and Mr. Travis, if you truly believe that the eagles and the steelers will fall then obviously you know nothing about football.
HAHA rick I know plenty about football. I,ve been watching it for a long time and I,m a player to. You can disagree with me but don,t come in here saying I don,t know nothing about football. That dog won,t fly. I,ve seen teams like the eagles before, They hit there peak last year and that is it for them. Down they go. The ravens will beat the pittsburgh steelers like a 4 year old at k mart. They,ll kick them like a red head step child. There quarterback got his bell rung last year and he,s not real good anyway. I don,t care about your receivers because nobody can get them the ball. especially when ray lewis and the others are on him in no time. forget about it man. Yeah any wise football observer knows pittsburgh is not doing anything this year. Deal with it.

t13 is out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-20-2003, 06:00 PM   #13
rickcoyle
Grizzled Veteran

rickcoyle is on a distinguished road

HAHA t13 if your so knowledgable about football then explain to me what exactly the steelers have lost over the offseason. They made the playoffs last year and since then they have only gotten better. They added a great draft pick in the strong safety which will really help and their secondary is now healthy. They also added Jay Riersma a good catching tightend. Please tell me who you pick to win that division other than the steelers so i can laugh at you again.

rick is out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"They hate to love me"
~Terrell Owens~
rickcoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 07:42 PM   #14
TRAVIS13
Banned

Little noodle arm rich gannon lit you guys UPPP in your own house last year. I watched that and knew your team would never win in the afc last year. And guess what? I was right of course. LMFAOF and your weak team never recovered form that all year. what kind of sorry ass team finishes 21 in the league in passing defense? And now you,re hoping some rookie dude is gonna make it all better for you. HAhahahahah forget it man. Are you kidding me??
Hey man i already told you i,m picking the ravens.

t13 is out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-20-2003, 11:53 PM   #15
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Kornbix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by TRAVIS13
Little noodle arm rich gannon lit you guys UPPP in your own house last year. I watched that and knew your team would never win in the afc last year. And guess what? I was right of course. LMFAOF and your weak team never recovered form that all year. what kind of sorry ass team finishes 21 in the league in passing defense? And now you,re hoping some rookie dude is gonna make it all better for you. HAhahahahah forget it man. Are you kidding me??
Hey man i already told you i,m picking the ravens.

t13 is out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah and Gannon got his ass handed to him in the super bowl.

K Bix is out !!!!!!!!!
Kornbix is offline   Reply With Quote