Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 01-19-2004, 07:50 AM   #1
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough
Default Fitzgerald Clears for the Draft

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1711902

And the downfall of Pitt football continues....

So, if you're San Diego who do you take- Eli Manning or Larry Fitzgerald? Oakland has the 2nd pick so considering the ages of Rice and Brown it wouldn't surprise me to see Fitzgerland end up in Oakland. Whoever does get him is getting the next Randy Moss. I just hope he doesn't end up in the NFC North.
Old 01-19-2004, 12:39 PM   #2
Packers3045
faVRe is my hero

Packers3045 is on a distinguished road
Default Fitzgerald eligible!

:banana:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1711902

Last edited by Packers3045; 01-19-2004 at 12:41 PM.
Packers3045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 06:21 PM   #3
jnmhayes
Grizzled Veteran

jnmhayes is on a distinguished road

The Eagles need to do some serious trading up. I like that idea much better than paying the bucks to get Terrell Davis.
jnmhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 05:04 AM   #4
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by jnmhayes
The Eagles need to do some serious trading up. I like that idea much better than paying the bucks to get Terrell Davis.

After the Chargers pick Eli Manning, the Cardinals are up next - and they would be the ones the Eagles would deal with, as Arizona obviously doesn't need a receiver and Ben Roethlisberger at #2 overall would be the biggest "reach" since Sir Edmund Hillary conquered Everest (an event which, interestingly enough, occurred 50 years ago this spring).

But so far as "paying the bucks" goes: Remember that in addition to the salary cap, there is also a minimum payroll requirement - and if, as expected, the Eagles allow Troy Vincent, Bobby Taylor and Duce Staley to depart, they would clearly be below that minimum if they aren't indeed already (right now they're $22 million under the cap, and if I'm not mistaken the minimum is 85 per cent of the cap, which based on the 2004 cap figure would be about $11 million under). Since it would make absolutely no sense whatsoever to sign one or more players who wouldn't even be in the starting lineup, the Eagles might literally be forced to sign Owens, whose price tag is projected to be around $11 million per year (amazingly, he only made $4.7 million this season).

Last edited by Anthony; 01-20-2004 at 05:36 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 10:14 AM   #5
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

I'd trade first round picks for the next however many years for larry. (Yea, I'm on a first name basis with the guy already)

I don't know if Reid would want T.O., but I'd sign him.

And Anthony, has "an apple in my throat" replaced "torn cartalige in my ribs from those dumb**** officials not knowing what the **** down by mother****ing contact means"?
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 11:23 PM   #6
dhav8706
Grizzled Veteran

dhav8706 is on a distinguished road

I personally think that the Raiders are going to take Manning or Roethlisberger and chase after soon to be Free Agent and local boy Terrell Owens. Arizona is set on Wideouts after taking Bryant Johnson and ROY Aquain Boldin last year. I think Larry will go 4th to the Giants or possibly 5th to the Redskins.
dhav8706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 11:31 PM   #7
dhav8706
Grizzled Veteran

dhav8706 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony
After the Chargers pick Eli Manning, the Cardinals are up next - and they would be the ones the Eagles would deal with, as Arizona obviously doesn't need a receiver and Ben Roethlisberger at #2 overall would be the biggest "reach" since Sir Edmund Hillary conquered Everest (an event which, interestingly enough, occurred 50 years ago this spring).

But so far as "paying the bucks" goes: Remember that in addition to the salary cap, there is also a minimum payroll requirement - and if, as expected, the Eagles allow Troy Vincent, Bobby Taylor and Duce Staley to depart, they would clearly be below that minimum if they aren't indeed already (right now they're $22 million under the cap, and if I'm not mistaken the minimum is 85 per cent of the cap, which based on the 2004 cap figure would be about $11 million under). Since it would make absolutely no sense whatsoever to sign one or more players who wouldn't even be in the starting lineup, the Eagles might literally be forced to sign Owens, whose price tag is projected to be around $11 million per year (amazingly, he only made $4.7 million this season).
Ben Roethlisberger a stretch at #2?!?!?! He is #2 on my board only behind Larry Fitzgerald. The Eagles don't have enough to trade up to get Fitzgerald, but the Patriots might, the have 2 first round picks to work with.
dhav8706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 04:24 AM   #8
Anthony

Roy Williams may still be the first wide receiver selected even with Fitzgerald now in the picture (Williams is reputed to be able to run a 4.25 40 while Fitzgerald only goes about 4.40), but Fitzgerald coming out helps every team that is looking to draft a wide receiver - not just the team that actually winds up picking Fitzgerald - because of the trickle-down effect his decision to come out has caused; for example, whoever was going to be the fourth receiver selected before will be the fifth now - and that's especially good news if you have the 28th overall pick, as the Eagles do.

Last edited by Anthony; 01-23-2004 at 04:37 AM.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:39 AM   #9
edgar109
U-C-O-N-N

edgar109 is on a distinguished road

The thing about Fitzgerald was when he faced an "NFL Defense" (Miami and Al Groh's UVA), he struggled mightily. I'm not so sure how great he will be in the NFL, his size nor speed does not impress anyone. I think he can turn out to be a Travis Taylor, a guy that was good in college and ok in the NFL. I'd even pick Rashaun Woods in front of him. And if Mike Williams somehow left this year he would be picked in front of EVERY wide reciver.
edgar109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 05:50 PM   #10
Alex
#1 Student Section

Quote:
Originally posted by dhav8706
I personally think that the Raiders are going to take Manning or Roethlisberger and chase after soon to be Free Agent and local boy Terrell Owens. Arizona is set on Wideouts after taking Bryant Johnson and ROY Aquain Boldin last year. I think Larry will go 4th to the Giants or possibly 5th to the Redskins.
The Giants need an O-Lineman bad so their chances of taking Robert Gallery from Iowa are pretty good. He is arguably the best OL in the draft. The Redskins already have decent receivers and could use a guy like Tommie Harris on the D-Line.
Old 01-21-2004, 05:58 PM   #11
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

Fitzgerald, what were you thinking? You were the hope of the future, or next two years, for pitt.

Well, Pitt gets screwed over on a good WR, again. Just like Bryant, he went early.

Pitt basketball will soon be like this. Taft will leave before his he is senior year because he is amazing already, and only a freshman.

Also, if Krauser has a great year, who knows, he could leave next year too and not stay for his last year.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 06:21 PM   #12
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Fitzgerald made a great move...

He finished second in Heisman voting and his stock is sky-high, now is the time to come out. I think he will go in the top-five, but San Diego already has Boston and needs a QB, IMO.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 06:12 AM   #13
Anthony

Forget about Rashaun Woods, Edgar - he's strictly a possession receiver, with only about 4.55-4.60 speed, which makes him even slower than Dane Looker, who was the #3 receiver this year with St. Louis.

Lee Evans (Wisconsin) blows Woods out of the water - and there's a good chance he'll last 28 picks, especially now with Fitzgerald coming out.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:18 AM   #14
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

SD has some decisions to make. I wouldn't think they would go for Larry. Eli is definitely possible, perhaps even likely. Of course if I were them I would give the pick to the Raiders. First two picks of the draft... *sigh*

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 04:52 PM   #15
Alex
#1 Student Section

Quote:
Originally posted by ellisismyhero
Fitzgerald, what were you thinking? You were the hope of the future, or next two years, for pitt.

Well, Pitt gets screwed over on a good WR, again. Just like Bryant, he went early.

Pitt basketball will soon be like this. Taft will leave before his he is senior year because he is amazing already, and only a freshman.

Also, if Krauser has a great year, who knows, he could leave next year too and not stay for his last year.
What do you know? Perhaps the only person on the face of the earth that hates Brett Favre is also a delusional Pitt fan:

Lets take a look at the facts:

Pitt now plays in the Big Least in which West Virginia will be favored to win and by a good margin IMO. Who the hell else can compete with WVU? UConn? South Florida?

Soon when WVU gets an offer from the SEC or ACC (it'll happen) this conference might as well discontinue football. This conference will be almighty in basketball but this team is close to the level of the MAC in football.

Rod Rutherford is gone meaning a new QB (likely Tyler Palko) would have to be broken in.

The team plays to piss poor crowds which should be even worse now that Ohio and Indiana State or on the home schedule.

Pitt was only an above-average team in a decent conference in 2003. Now they are an average team in a horrible conference. Fitzgerald is making the right move. Take the money while it's there. His stock will only fall if he went back to Pitt.