Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 11-16-2003, 03:16 AM   #1
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough
Default Here we go: Michigan Week!

Not that anyone here needs me to remind them, but Ohio State is going into Ann Arbor next week to play the Michigan Wolverines for the outright Big Ten title, and a possible Sugar Bowl berth. Ohio State is 10-1, and should be tenths of a point behind USC in the BCS going into the game. Michigan is 9-2, but the talking airheads say they are playing the best ball in the country right now behind Oklahoma. Assuming they win they will need USC and LSU and possibly Texas to all loose to play for the Title. If the winner of the game doesn't get in, they get the Rose Bowl, not a shabby conselation prize I'd say.

This is the thread for trash talking and predictions. Mine will come later in the week (although I'm sure you all know who I'm picking. )

Go BUCKS!
14-9
Old 11-16-2003, 07:40 AM   #2
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

24-20 Michigan. The Buckeyes are going to have to lose their luck again someplace. I don't think Michigan is playing the best in the country right now. I'd out Oklahoma, USC and LSU ahead of them. But they're still playing very well and IMO better than Buckeyes. The Bucks aren't going to be able to rely on their luck in this game. It'll be all skills.
Old 11-16-2003, 01:27 PM   #3
NickHammy
Sports Virtuoso

NickHammy is on a distinguished road

Chris Perry will not be a factor in this game because of Ohio States terrific run defense. This means that for Michigan to win, John Navarre will have to win the ball through the air. However I don't see that happening. I see Ohio State winning another nail biter because of strong defense, special teams, and Mike Nugent.
Old 11-16-2003, 06:17 PM   #4
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

It wasn't all skills before Alex??? They went 24-1 the past two years because they were lucky????
Old 11-16-2003, 08:32 PM   #5
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure what my prediction is yet, but I know that, wherever Buckeye78 is, he's happy: The winner of the Michigan/OSU game is outright Big Ten champs, the way God intended.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 08:55 PM   #6
h0kies4life87
Grizzled Veteran

h0kies4life87 is on a distinguished road

Michigan..wins....easily
Tennessee Titans
h0kies4life87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 09:51 PM   #7
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Easily??? Ha! You guys still havn't learned anything yet.
Old 11-16-2003, 11:00 PM   #8
dhav8706
Grizzled Veteran

dhav8706 is on a distinguished road

Easily.

Yes you will defeat a team easily that hasn't lost by more than one score since November 17th 2001.

A team that hasn't been beaten by over 20 since November 13th 1999.

Of course they haven't faced a team as good as michigan.

Hahahahahahahaha.
dhav8706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 11:23 PM   #9
NickHammy
Sports Virtuoso

hokies has obviously never watched an OSU game. Or even OSU highlights at that. I don't think even Oklahoma would beat Ohio State easily, their defense is too good.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:17 AM   #10
Aristides
All-Star Player

Aristides is on a distinguished road

Well letís look at everything.

Michigan home record 6-0. Outscored opponents avg. 41.8 Ė 7.3. Biggest home win Vs. Purdue 31-3
OSU away record 2-1. Outscored opponents avg. 22 - 14.3. Biggest away win Vs. PSU 21-20

Michigan acts like a totally different team when they play at home. Bucks lost in Madison and almost lost to the lowly Lions.

ADVANTAGE : UM

PASSING

UM: Passing Offense- 270 ypg, 23 TD, 8 Int
OSU: Passing Defense- 225 ypg, 12 TD, 13 INT

OSU: Passing Offense- 196 ypg, 14 TD, 10 INT
UM: Passing Defense- 152 ypg, 3 TD, 13 INT

QBís: UM John Navarre 58.7 %, 252 ypg, 21 TD, 8 Int
OSU Craig Krenzel 55.2 %, 181 ypg, 9 TD, 8 Int 300 + Rushing

Iíve said this since Iíve seen John play in his first game. The man is not that great. Great recievers are what gave Navarre all his records. If he played at any other Big 10 school his #ís wouldnít be anywhere close to what they are now. Even though I donít believe he is an All American, he gets the ball where it needs to be and thatís something Craig has struggled to do for the Bucks all season. Craigís running ability evens this out.

ADVANTAGE : EVEN

WRíS/TE

UM: WR- Edwards 68-901-12, WR- Avant 42-706-2, HB-Perry 37-311-2, WR- Breaston 27-360-3, TE- Massaquoi 14-194
OSU: WR- Jenkins 41-606-5, TE- Harstock 31-277-2, WR- Carter- (injured), WR- Holmes 22-391-3, TE-Hamby 15-172-3

Edwards, Avant and Breaston are the most talented trio of receivers in the Big 10. Edwards and Avant seem to make a jaw dropping catch every game and Breaston is always a threat to score from anywhere on the field. OSU likes to use their TEís and Holmes is an upcoming player but not quite where the receivers in blue are right now.

ADVANTAGE: UM

RUSHING

UM: Rushing Offense- 188 ypg, 25 TD
OSU: Rushing Defense- 50 ypg, 5

OSU: Rushing Offense- 130 ypg 13
UM: Rushing Defense- 126 ypg 13 TD

BACKS

UM: Perry 1435-15, Underwood 270-2
OSU: Ross 748- 9, Hall 358-1, Krenzel 327-3

UMís workhorse is Perry. Heís the leading rusher in the Big 10 and doesnít have bad hands either. Ross is starting to step it up and finally get some yards and has moved in front of Krenzel as the Bucks best runner. That combonation is good but not better than the workhorse.

O-LINE

UM: Has given up 15 sacks, little more than one per game, and has opened all kinds of holes for Perry.
OSU: Has given up 29 sacks, struggled to get holes for Ross but are starting to pick up the pace.

ADVANTAGE: Slightly UM

DEFENSE

D-LINE

UM: Stevens, Massey, Bowman, Woods 13 sacks
OSU: Smith, Anderson, Fraser, Scott 18 sacks Ė close to 50 tackles for loss between these 4

The strength of the OSU D is their D-Line. Teams have no ground game whatsoever but then again they give up on it quickly and throw the ball 50 + times. Purdueís QB found that he can run /scramble for yards but John doesnít have that ability. UMí s D-Line hasnít played that bad themselves but no where near what the Bucks have accomplished.

ADVANTAGE: OSU

LINEBACKERS

UM: Reid, Diggs, Woodley,McClintock - 5 sacks
OSU: Hawk, Reynolds, Pagac - 7 sacks 3 picks

Hawk gives OSU the edge in the LB battle. If anything gets by the line he takes care of it.

ADVANTAGE: Slightly OSU

DEFENSIVE BACKS

UM: Shazor, Jackson, Lesure, Curry, Hall - 10 picks 30 PD
OSU: Fox, Allen, Salley, Gamble, Everrett, Whitner- 9 Picks 27 PD

Michigans DBís are pretty dam good. They have allowed only 3 TD passes this season and 152 yards per game. Jackson and Shazor will be playing on Sundays next year, I think both will leave early, and the rest seem to get better every game. Big plays are something this team does not give up thru the air. If youíre going to hurt the Buckeyes it must be done by air and IMO you throw to Foxís side all day long. He has had numerous penalties and Iíve seen him burned a few times. You can also throw the deep ball over top of the safeties.

KICKING

UM: Rivas isnít bad but heís no Nugent
OSU: Nugent and Sander might be playing on Sunday

ADVANTAGE: OSU

RETURNS

UM: Breaston and Lesure - 2 TDís
OSU: Gamble and Jenkins Ė 1 TD

Breaston is averaging 15 yds per punt return and is considered by many as the most dangerous punt returner in the Big 10 and rightfully so. Gamble hasnít had that big return yet this year but Jenkins has one.

ADVANTAGE: Slightly UM

So from all of this you have a high powered offense against a dominating run defense. An OSU offense that is starting to click but relies on defense and special teams to win them their games.

What should happen: Playing at home has proven to be a big advantage to Michigan this year. OSU hasnít played that well on the road as they have lost in Madison and almost did in Happy Valley. When it comes to the running game, I think OSU can contain Perry and he wonít break the 100 yard mark but, he causes enough attention to get UMís trio of WRís open against a suspect OSU secondary. IF John doesnít have more than 2 mistakes then they should be able to outscore the Bucks. Final 21-13

What will happen: Michigan will get many yards thru the air but everytime they get near the end zone the ball will become like a big stick of butter to them. Going into the last minute of the 4th quarter UM will be up 21-13 and OSU have the ball on their 30 yard line. Krenzel will run to the 50 and with 5 seconds left to play he will throw a 50 yard bomb that will be tipped 3 times and fall into the hands of Jenkins who is lying on his back in the endzone.

After making the 2 point conversion, another scramble by Craig, the Bucks will get a FG in the first OT. Lloyd and the Wolverines will be on the 4 yard line and it will be fourth down. Instead of kicking the FG and tying the game up Carr will decide to go for the win. Edwards will burn Gamble and be wide open in the right end of the endzone. Instead of passing to Edwards, John will try and throw the ball to Avant who is covered by 2 Buckeye defenders and the ball will be picked off giving the Bucks a trip to the Sugar Bowl.

Last edited by Aristides; 11-17-2003 at 02:50 PM.
Aristides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 02:50 PM   #11
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

I will agree with your last scenario Aristides, but only in that fact that I think OSU will win, but not in such dramatic fashion.

I think OSU will stop the run, push pressure on Navarre, and when those Michigan wide receivers catch the ball I think the OSU defenders will be able to tackle them without missing too many tackles.

I know Purdue was crushed by Michigan and OSU barely escaped Purdue this past weekend, and I know Michigan plays like world beaters at home, but OSU's defense and special teams will generate enough field position to win this game.

Joey
Old 11-17-2003, 02:59 PM   #12
Aristides
All-Star Player

Aristides is on a distinguished road

If OSU wins this game it will be because Michigan beats itself. John has a tendency to make poor plays in the last few minutes of a close game, anyone remember last year?, and if he does that against OSU they're toast.

I really think the best way for Michigan to win is balance it out and throw it deep every once in a while and let Edwards and Avant do the work.

I think their magic # is 20. 20 + a win. Anything less OSU is heading for NO.
Aristides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 06:44 PM   #13
tigereyes33
War Damn Eagle!!!!

tigereyes33 is on a distinguished road

Michigan BIG. They are sick and tired of hearing all of this crap about Ohio State National Champions. Now, they get their chance, at home, to get revenge and show who is boss in this rivalry. An emotionally charged blowout for the Wolverines. They win it 31-7.

Oh yeah, and there is some other game this weekend. I hear it is somewhat of a rivalry in some places. Ahh yes, the Iron Bowl. I don't care what I've been saying or what I will say, if Auburn beats Alabama I will be at peace deep down about this season. And I think Auburn has the better team, but the Tide want and need a win very badly period, and a win over Auburn would be monumental. But, Bama just doesn't have the horses to do it. My beloved Tigers win 21-17. WAR DAMN EAGLE!!!!!!!
tigereyes33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 07:05 PM   #14
h0kies4life87
Grizzled Veteran

h0kies4life87 is on a distinguished road

Im tellin you..Michigan CRUSHES osu..
Tennessee Titans
h0kies4life87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 07:20 PM   #15
NickHammy
Sports Virtuoso

Well its official. Ohio State has jumped USC in the BCS to the #2 spot. They lead USC by .19. A win over Michigan should secure that #2 spot and a trip to New Orleans.

hokies,

Care to explain why you think OSU will get crushed? Its not likely that Perry will get close to 100 yards rushing. Navarre is known for making mistakes. With such a strong defense, I don't think anyone could crush OSU, even Oklahoma.