Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Basketball

Old 09-01-2001, 01:28 AM   #1
Spike
N.B.A. Moderator

Spike is on a distinguished road
Question Greatest college basketball game ever

What do you guys think is the greatest College Basketball game ever?

I say it's the 1992 East Regional Final at The Spectrum in Philly between the Duke Blue Devils and the Kentucky Wildcats. Duke won in overtime 104 to 103 on Grant Hill's full length of the court pass to Christian Laettner at the free throw line, who turned around and hit the buzzer-beater. That's the game that comes to most people's minds when people talk about the greatest game ever.

You guys agree with that pick? Or have another game in mind?
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2001, 08:15 AM   #2
Ross
Hall of Famer

Ross is on a distinguished road

I thought the 1997 title game was pretty good. I think Arizona had like a 6 point lead in the final minute of regulation, and Kentucky hit two very quick 3 pointers, and sent the title game into overtime. Then, Arizona as a No. 4 seed, trounced Kentucky in the OT to win a totally unexpected title.

The 1988 Kansas-Oklahoma and 1983 NC State-Houston games deserve a mention, maybe the 1989 game where Michigan won their only title.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2001, 10:16 AM   #3
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Greatest college basketball game ever

Quote:
Originally posted by Spike
I say it's the 1992 East Regional Final at The Spectrum in Philly between the Duke Blue Devils and the Kentucky Wildcats. Duke won in overtime 104 to 103 on Grant Hill's full length of the court pass to Christian Laettner at the free throw line, who turned around and hit the buzzer-beater. That's the game that comes to most people's minds when people talk about the greatest game ever.
:redhot:

I was a meager 6 when it happened... but I remember most of the players and whatnot. I would definitely agree - Duke won the best college basketball game of all-time... between two of college basketball's elite schools (we all know Kentucky is #1 ).
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote