Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 12-10-2002, 09:52 PM   #1
Sports Virtuoso

#47 is on a distinguished road
Default USC possibilities.

This post will mean nothing to anybody really, but i will post my thoughts anyway.

I, like Buckeye78, believe in the Rose Bowl first and foremost. I at first was upset that SC was not going to the Rose. But since they are not, I see some good possibilities, to add to, are already good fortune for this season.

Toledo gets fired at UCLA. Unrest in bruin land, stability in SC land is always good on the recruiting front in the very deep southern california HS circles. USC will gain someone prominent from this who was on the fence.

USC throttles ND. This game for years has settled many a decision among potential recruits. USC immediately got a committment from Sam Baker the monday after USC beat ND. Baker is one of the top OL in the country. I would not be surprised for one or two more from this result.

Oregon finally is struggling, while SC is on the way up. In case people dont already know. Oregons roster is filled with Southern California prep stars. Maybe now a couple will not be lured by Phil Knight(Mr. Nike) to his adopted university. We will still lose the ones who cant qualify at SC, but we shouldnt lose any to Oregon that can qualify at SC.

UW.............see Oregon above, except minus Phil Knight.

Lastly, going to the Orange Bowl. Last year USC made inroads in the recruiting of Florida players, getting 2 out from under the Florida schools, one of whom is Pac 10 freshmen of the year Mike Williams(thanx Keyshawn), there brilliant freshmen receiver. It cant hurt to possibly represent well in such a high profile recruiting area as Florida.

I will still admit, I do wish we were going to the Rose Bowl. Because the Rose Bowl is the place to be ahead of all others. But since were not, maybe we can make some positives out of this in the recruiting area.
#47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 10:58 PM   #2
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

My concern for the Pac 10 generally is that most of the QBs who blossomed this year into major names (Palmer, Gesser, Boller, Paus to a lesser extent) are all gone next year.

Is there a carson jr waiting in the wings there in the Land of Troy, or, for that matter, a fargas, jr? Just glancing, it looks like the offense is losing a lot of experience everywhere but on the OL. How does that compare to the age of the rest of the conference?

Dave
Old 12-10-2002, 11:05 PM   #3
Sports Virtuoso

Dave I gave a run down in another thread, I just did it before reading this.
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
Old 12-10-2002, 11:25 PM   #4
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

That Orange Bowl-recruiting from Florida theory is a good point #47. Ohio St. has got some good recruits from the Sunshine State lately and playing in the Citrus Bowl the last two years proably helped. It's proably tough to get Florida kids to spend winters in Columbus, so it's pretty impressive.

Oh, by the way *47, how does one who lives in upstate NY become a USC fan ? Just asking.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 09:11 AM   #5
Sports Virtuoso

78, I grew up a college football first and foremost. It was my lifelong dream to play football at SC. I also grew up in the 70's. As you know, USC was a powerhouse in the 70's. That coupled with the fact, one whole entire side of my family(MY dads) lived at that time in SoCal. At that time my uncle also work in advertising for Sports illustrated, so he lavished me with anything sporting wise from LA teams. Obviously back then, SC had alot going for it. So as a kid all i received as gifts, was stuff from USC, UCLA, Lakers, Dodgers, Rams, etc. As a kid you are influenced by these things. My allegiances have just always stayed there, except for the Rams, obviously they left.

But above all else in any sport, i am a USC fan first and foremost and it will always be that way.
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
Old 12-11-2002, 02:09 PM   #6
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

USC and Ohio State please stop stealing these players from Florida! The Gators could have desparately used Mike Williams this season. Thanks to every college coming to Florida and recruiting high school talent....Florida and Florida State have suffered from it. The Miami Cocaines seem to be doing just fine though.

Joey
Old 12-11-2002, 02:17 PM   #7
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

The 'Canes are doing fine with a SoCal QB...

Dave
Old 12-11-2002, 06:47 PM   #8
Sports Virtuoso

Yup, and Mimais #1 recruit coming in...............QB Kyle Wright from California.

For years everyone has been invading Southern California in recruiting and taking kids away. Its about time the trend changes a bit.
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
Old 12-11-2002, 06:58 PM   #9
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

I see #47. I grew up in Ohio, so obviously, I am a Buckeye fan. My brother has coached high school football forever, and so we have got free tickets to the Shoe for recruiting through the years. This is where my love of Ohio St. took root. Pretty exciting for a kid to be in the locker room after a game, and get autographs of your heroes. I'm all grown up now, but meeting Eddie George after he ran for over 300 yards against Illinois a few years ago, made me feel six years old again...LOL.

The only negative thing about our trips all these years, and I'm being serious, was Cooper. As part of the deal, all the recruits would meet in this VIP room and Cooper would come in and talk to everyone after the game. I felt like punching the guy every time I saw him, but I actually had to shake his hand each time and be civil of course...agghhhhh !!!!! Funny thing is, my Dad didn't care that the tickets and the food were all free, he would question Cooper's play calling after game....LOL.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 06:50 PM   #10
Sports Virtuoso

That must have been a ball. Especially watching you father question Cooper......lol.
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
Old 12-12-2002, 08:32 PM   #11
digital7
Deep South

digital7 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by MountaineerDave
The 'Canes are doing fine with a SoCal QB...

Dave
Yes, very true Dave

- Ken Dorsey
- Marc Guillon
- Kyle Wright

digital7 is offline   Reply With Quote