Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 09-23-2006, 07:26 PM   #1
pacerbballer2
Rookie Player

pacerbballer2 is on a distinguished road
Default How long with Favre last as the starter??

I'd hate to see him go, especially with his great streak going. Chances look slim for a playoff spot for my packers. We'll see i still have a little hope left in me. As long as we have a shot at the playoffs I think he'll be in there.
pacerbballer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 08:42 PM   #2
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

As long as he wants IMO. I don't think they'll ever tell him to sit.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:31 PM   #3
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Brett had some good numbers yesterday.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 07:49 PM   #4
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

I'd have him out right now. They need to find out if Aaron Rodgers is the QB to go to or if they still need someone.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 07:56 PM   #5
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

I think Favre's performance in the next couple of games will reveal if they will bench him at all in favor of Rodgers. They play the Eagles in Philly next week....
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 08:22 PM   #6
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Why does it matter how he plays, though?
Old 09-26-2006, 03:54 AM   #7
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedon1970 View Post
I think Favre's performance in the next couple of games will reveal if they will bench him at all in favor of Rodgers. They play the Eagles in Philly next week....

Philly - where the Packers haven't won since Favre was seven years yet unborn!
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 08:32 AM   #8
suedon1970
Sports Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Graham View Post
Why does it matter how he plays, though?
What do you mean why does it matter? If Favre plays like s*** (which he probably will against the Eagles), then they will more likely bring in Rodgers to give him more game experience.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:17 AM   #9
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Right, but the point is, even if Favre plays GREAT...why not bring Rodgers in? Why does it matter how Favre plays? They're not going to win if he plays great, they're not going to win if he plays awful...so why does it matter? Just bring in Rodgers now and find out if he is their future.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:38 AM   #10
suedon1970
Sports Chick

Quote:
they're not going to win if he plays great, they're not going to win if he plays awful...so why does it matter?
Not necessarily - quarterbacks (especially seasoned ones with tons of experience) can make the difference in ANY game, especially a close one. Why would you want to break up the rhythm of the offense if it is a close game by bringing in an untested QB off the bench? IMO, unless he has thrown 4 INTs and not produced anything on offense in a particular game, THEN bring in Rodgers.......

Of the three games the Packers have played so far this season, Favre has thrown 6 TDs and 3 INTs, and completed almost 60% of his passes. Yes, they were blown out by the Bears, but they could've beat the Saints and they did beat the Lions. I don't think it is time to throw him under the bus just yet....
Old 09-26-2006, 12:13 PM   #11
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

They're one of the few teams without a shot at the playoffs even with Favre, if he were to play great. So, you say the hell with the future...for what? They NEED to find out if Rodgers is the QB of their future right now. If he's not, then they'll need to speed up the process of finding a new one. You want to tank the future of the franchise because Favre beat the LIONS?
Old 09-26-2006, 12:20 PM   #12
suedon1970
Sports Chick

Quote:
They're one of the few teams without a shot at the playoffs even with Favre, if he were to play great. So, you say the hell with the future...for what? They NEED to find out if Rodgers is the QB of their future right now. If he's not, then they'll need to speed up the process of finding a new one. You want to tank the future of the franchise because Favre beat the LIONS?
No, I am not saying they should tank their future, but why the heck write off the season after THREE games? Let Rodgers get some game experience if the situation warrants it, but if they can win games this year and have a respectable season (even minus the playoffs) with Favre, what is so wrong with that? They can always pick up an experienced QB in the offseason. Why is Rodgers the end-all, be-all for this team?
Old 09-26-2006, 12:44 PM   #13
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

"even minus the playoffs"...well, if they don't go to the playoffs, then there is absolutely no reason to play Brett Favre.

When did I say Rodgers was the end-all, be-all for them? My point is that they have to find out whether or not he is their QB of the future or if they need one.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:12 PM   #14
suedon1970
Sports Chick

Quote:
"even minus the playoffs"...well, if they don't go to the playoffs, then there is absolutely no reason to play Brett Favre.
I'm sorry, but I root for teams that want to win NOW (with capable personnel) rather than 3 years from now, and I would rather have a team be 6-10 with Favre (and Rodgers playing sporadically) than 2-14 with Rodgers playing every freakin' down of every game.

But you're probably right - they should've just let Brett ride the pine for the entire season (more than likely the last one for one of the best QBs to ever play the game, IMO), since you said earlier that they weren't projected to go to the playoffs anyway, long before the first game was even played.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:59 PM   #15
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Sue, consider these questions one at a time:

1. If you are Tennessee, whom do you play at QB? Old and busted, or new hotness?
2. If you were Jacksonville four years ago, whom do you play at QB? Old and busted, or new hotness?
3. If you are Houston, when do you determine that David Carr is not the answer?
4. If you are Baltimore, whom do you play at QB? Old, busted but still the hotness, or fresher, younger, but not even lukewarm?

There's no clear answer to any of these but #4, and the reason that you go with old, busted but hot is because you have a reasonable amount of talent surrounding him, and you happen to know that he's probably not done.

In Green Bay, there isn't any legitimate talent surrounding #4. The likelihood that the Packers are going anywhere this year is right there with the likelihoods surrounding Tennessee, Houston, Oakland, and Detroit.

And, ask yourself this: If the difference is 6-10 v 2-14, what's the real difference? Win two games and find out if the kid you spent a first round draft pick two years ago can help you or not. Or waste yet another year of the draft because you're hanging on to to glory long since lost.

You mentioned at one point getting a free agent QB. Yeah, how is that working in Miami? Oakland? Tennessee? Arizona?
All of these teams are looking to their rookie or second year guys to start or play significant roles NEXT WEEK. Except Miami, where they banked on veteran losers, and will be paying for that mistake for the next three to five years.
Free agent QB success, in the last five years, can be summed up with three names that I can think of: Drew Bledsoe, who's been good twice in that five years, but whose longevity this season has already been called into question, and likely not for the last time, Drew Brees, around whom there seems to be some real talent (at least offensively) and young enough that the Saints can actually grow around and with him, and Matt Hasselbeck, whose success has been slow and painful, but ultimately worth it. In the meantime, though, Holmgren's been nearly fired twice, so...

McCarthy has a limited amount of time to turn things around. It's a nasty truism (that I personally find odious) in the NFL, and if he can't win this year with old and busted or the kid about whom nothing is known, he needs to know that SUNDAY.
Can Rodgers play in the NFL? They pay him good money to sit and learn from a guy who, by all accounts, isn't all that interesting in teaching anything. So no one knows.
The time to find out, if not this Sunday, surely must come with the game after that, regardless of what happens this Sunday.