Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 10-28-2003, 08:09 AM   #1
tigereyes33
War Damn Eagle!!!!

tigereyes33 is on a distinguished road
Default New BCS Out

The new BCS is out and has:
1. OU
2. Miami
3. FSU
4. USC
5. UGA

I just heard it on the radio yesterday and that is all I can remember. Everyone thought UGA would be 3rd, but their poor performance against UAB I guess hurt them.
tigereyes33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 01:36 PM   #2
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

USC moves from #7 to #4, so now they are not being jilted as badly anymore. I really think they should be #3, but maybe everything will pan out going down the stretch.

Joey
Old 10-29-2003, 09:34 PM   #3
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Well, so much for Northern Illinois going undefeated and then having the controversy over them not making the title game with an undefeated record. That's past us.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 10:54 PM   #4
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

Thank God.
Old 10-30-2003, 04:20 PM   #5
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Georgia should be #3. USC deserves #4 and FSU should be #5.
Old 10-30-2003, 10:27 PM   #6
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

Georgia should be number 3 based on what?!?!??!?!?!

If anything USC should be 3, FSU should be 4 (for now), OSU 5, and Georgia 6.
Old 10-30-2003, 10:29 PM   #7
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

I mean, I was high on Georgia, but I will admit when I was wrong, and I was. They don't come to play every week, and they've already lost a game. It's hard when you loose as much talent as Georgia did after last year, and I feel they may have been overrated. Their schedule down the stretch will be tough, even with Auburn's second collapse.

Last edited by Richard the Lionheart; 10-30-2003 at 10:33 PM.
Richard the Lionheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 11:02 AM   #8
JBDTD
Sports Enthusiast

JBDTD is on a distinguished road

TCU keeps creeping up, and they dont play this weekend. All of the shuffling from this weekends games will probably allow TCU to move up another spot. Biggest game of the year thus far is coming up on Wednesday night against #25 Louisville. We will see what the BCS holds for TCU if they win this game. After this game, they have 3 games left (Cincy, Southern Miss, and SMU). If they do go undefeated, I predict a 7th or 8th place ranking in the BCS, but not getting an invite.
JBDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 03:52 PM   #9
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

I'd say that sounds about right, JBDTD. And, given that the six or seven ahead of them will likely include OU, Miami, USC, Georgia, FSU, LSU, Wazzu and Nebraska, I'd say that them's the breaks. TCU's non-conference schedule was pretty awful. Unlike NIU, TCU's forays into the BCS conferences are quite weak: Vandy will never challenge for any higher than SEC East #5, and Arizona hasn't been worthy of Pac10 competitive consideration for at least as long as they've been on the Horned Frogs' schedule.

Dave
Old 11-01-2003, 08:05 PM   #10
JBDTD
Sports Enthusiast

When today is all said and done, 5 teams ranked ahead of TCU will have lost. I expect the 5 teams to be Georgia, Washington St, Nebraska, Michigan State, and VTech. Also, Oklahoma State (ranked 2 spots behind TCU) lost. I think the new ESPN poll will look something like this.

1. OU
2. Miami
3. USC
4. FSU
5. LSU
6. Michigan
7. Ohio State (played a horrible game)
8. Texas
9. Iowa
10. TCU

That is being somewhat conservative in saying that Iowa will pass TCU. Regardless, TCU will be ranked higher in the polls, computers, and thus in the BCS. After we beat Louisville (hopefully) we will move into top 8 with three games left to play. In this scenario, TCU could reach the top 6 and get auto.
Old 11-02-2003, 12:10 AM   #11
Ross
Hall of Famer

Ross is on a distinguished road

Well you can take Miami out of the Top 10 on there.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 12:35 AM   #12
NickHammy
Sports Virtuoso

NickHammy is on a distinguished road

Now way Michigan will jump all the way to 6th...especially with 2 losses.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:21 PM   #13
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

The BCS for the Week of 11/3 is out, and I notice the following interesting tidbits:

1. Miami is NOT out of the top ten, as Ross predicted, and in fact, its worst computer ranking is 5th, which allowed the Canes to hold onto 4th place in ther rankings. (Even if FSU weren't ranked #3, the Canes would be ahead of the Buckeyes.)

2. Two-loss Michigan ranks ahead of no-loss TCU, and do so on two counts: 1. schedule strength (no debate there) 2. human rankings. The humans don't put the Horned Frogs better'n 12, while the 'puters have 'em, on average, 8.3th, better than Michigan's 9.7 'puter rating. At the end of the day, a little better than two-thirds of the difference in their BCS ranking comes from schedule strength, an object lesson that TCU should keep in mind as conference shifting continues.

3. For the first time since the BCS rankings have been released, at least, to my knowledge, 25 teams are ranked, instead of the ordinary 15. I don't know if that's because those meaningless 11-15 positions are so hotly contested, or because they wanted to show off the MAC, who has three teams in the rankings between 16 and 25. (Equaling, I should note, the number of teams representing the Big East in the BCS 25, and tripling the number of ACC reps in the BCS 25.)

4. For the first time in a LOOOONG time, the computers and humans are unanimous in their selection for #1. (I think a couple computers still gave Miami #1 after OSU won last year.) Not surprisingly, the computers are torn about #2: Going by the averages supplied by the BCS, the computer Top 6 looks this way:
1. Oklahoma 1.00
2. Miami 2. 83
3. Ohio St 3.17
4. USC 3.50
5. Florida St 4.00
6. Va Tech 6.17

Fortunately, there are some games left to played. Unfortunately, I'm not sure they'll be enough.

At some level, there will be debate about whoever serves as sacrificial lamb to OU in the Sugar Bowl, but at another level, it would be good if OU so utterly humiliated whoever it turns out to be that there will be little debate about whether it should have been Miami or Ohio State or Florida State or... the list goes on. Maybe not good for second half ratings...

Dave
Old 11-04-2003, 10:08 PM   #14
jnmhayes
Grizzled Veteran

jnmhayes is on a distinguished road

TCU can't complain too much with their schedule. Just being unranked doesn't make you the best team.
jnmhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 11:23 PM   #15
JBDTD
Sports Enthusiast

the problem with TCU's schedule isnt thier fault. They try year after year to schedule games with other texas schools. Texas wont play us because it actually hurts thier SOS to play us, and because they have nothing to gain by playing us, only something to lose. Both Texas and Texas A&M declined our AD's request for a game on this years schedule. At least Texas Tech has agreed to play us next year (in Lubbock). We cant controll the strength of our conference schedule. Big 12 wont invite us in (even though they should). The only thing TCU can do is play the best they can with what they are given. There is absolutely no reason for a 2 loss team to get an at large bid to a BCS bowl if an undefeated team doesnt. If Michigan wins out (beating Ohio State in the process) they get the auto big 10 bid. Thats fine. They deserve it. But if Ohio St. then gets the at-large over TCU I will lose my faith in the greatness of college football. What does it say about the game if the players dont have a chance at playing for an ultimate goal? What does it say to the fans who cheer for those non-bcs conference teams? TCU is 18-2 in thier last 20 games. When is enough enough?