Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 11-02-2003, 02:21 AM   #1
dhav8706
Grizzled Veteran

dhav8706 is on a distinguished road
Default 7 OT

Once again Arkansas wins the longest football game ever, battling it out for Kentucky for seven overtimes before finally tackling the Hefty Lefty Jared Lorenzen on 4th and 3 on a QB Draw. I was incredibly impressed by both of the QBs performances. Both Lorenzen and Matt Jones just would not let their team lose. Even on that last play Lorenzen "fumbled" the ball forward across the first down marker in the hope that a Wildcat would fall on the ball and keep the game that never ends going. I was shocked at the mobility of the Pillsbury Throwboy. When someone that big (285 lbs.) runs for that many yards (35) and so many TDs (3) it seems like you have to win that game. Over 1,000 total yards. Wow. What a game.
dhav8706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 12:49 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Yeah, what a game! Too bad UK loses, they always do when it counts, it seems. But the game itself is still surreal, having watched almost FIVE HOURS STRAIGHT of the game, from 7 PM all the way to midnight. Just nuts. I wish I could have been there this week instead of last week when I actually went to the game. UK's bowl chances are very slim now, but after 7 OTs (a record-tying feat), it's hard to feel bad because it was anybody's game. Both teams put everything they had out there and as Bill Curry said, after 3 OTs, you might as well declare it a tie because the teams played so evenly.

Kentucky was up with 8 in one of the OTs (at this point, differentiating between them is hard), but Arkansas marched down the field and converted on a two-point conversion. I was praying for just ONE STOP, but neither team could stop the other. I'm still gathering my thoughts! Anyone else get a chance to see this on ESPN2?
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 04:14 PM   #3
NickHammy
Sports Virtuoso

NickHammy is on a distinguished road

I wish I could've seen it. But they kept updating us with ever OT that passed.
Old 11-02-2003, 08:52 PM   #4
Aristides
All-Star Player

Aristides is on a distinguished road

I thought it was never going to end. I was just heading to bed when it was in the 4th but like a bad movie, you have to see the ending.
Aristides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 01:43 AM   #5
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

I didn't see any of the regulation, but I saw all the overtimes. Two thoughts:

1. Bill Curry made some interesting points. The most interesting was in the 7th overtime, when he said at this point, players are fighting the thought of, "Damn, I want this game to be over." and keep that win-at-all-costs attitude, which is understandable. Everyone looked so gassed. Games like this are tougher on defenses than offenses.

2. I don't know if anyone caught this graphic or not, but of the three longest OT games in college football history, Arkansas has been involved in *all three.*

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 04:52 PM   #6
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

I hate the OT BS the NCAA has. Virtually anyone can score from the 25. Hell, I could make a 35 yard FG. They need to revert to a 1 15:00 OT and after that it's a tie game. I wasn't a fan of no OT and tie after regulation but it's a lot better than having teams slug it out in scoring range for 7 series. If one team can't get the lead and keep it in an extra quarter neither team deserves a W.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:09 PM   #7
dhav8706
Grizzled Veteran

dhav8706 is on a distinguished road

The NFL style Overtime is wortless. 75% of the overtimes are decided by a coin toss. I'd rather have a tie if its over in regulation than that. I think the college overtime is awesome. They reward the defense that can stop their opponent from scoring a touchdown or even a field goal is the team that wins. And what about that Arkansas Alabama 1st overtime earlier this year. Arkansas didn't manage to score on their possesion, and the Hogs stepped up and knocked Alabama out of field goal range. 0 points. The Cincinnati Temple game this year had quite a few scoreless overtimes thanks to bad kicks too. Remember, a 40 yard field goal isn't automatic. Just ask Scott Norwood.
dhav8706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 11:37 PM   #8
NickHammy
Sports Virtuoso

NickHammy is on a distinguished road

I love college OT. It's exciting, especially in crucial games like the national champioship
Old 11-03-2003, 11:48 PM   #9
Marc
Administrator

Note: This game is an instant classic and will be on ESPN Classic Friday.

I was just about to post about the college overtime. I think it is better than the NFL because the play on the field soley determines it rather than a coin toss. Check this out: http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky...ky/7169083.htm

I think, mainly, that teams need to be given the ball closer to midfield -- say, the 40-yard-line -- because it is way too easy to score from the 25.
Old 11-04-2003, 01:14 PM   #10
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Just last week, UT and Bama went to 5 overtimes, and Kevin has already mentioned how Arkanslaw has been in 3 of the longest overtime games. All this seems to be happening in the SEC, and one wonders how Arkanslaw always gets in these situations.

Joey
Old 11-04-2003, 03:30 PM   #11
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

The SEC is champion of long overtime games, and Arkansas, behind Houston Nutt, somehow pulls it out. Jones, so loosey-goosey, is unstoppable once the third OT rolls around and the opposing defenses are lying on the field after a play whimpering for mommy.

Kevin-- Bill Curry makes A LOT of good points throughout a game and may actually be my favorite college football announcer. He has insight, knowledge, and is a pretty articulate guy for a former SEC coach...

This game was awesome, but I want to make a couple of comments on college OT, since it came up.

1. IF you must have an overtime in college (I remain skeptical, six or seven years later), DON'T remove special teams from the game. Let's have kickoffs and punts and play with a clock for one quarter. Arbitrary ball-spotting is for exhibition games, not competition.
2. There'd be no reason to have SEC ADs be the ultimate SEC tie-breaker if you allowed ties at the end of games. Which do you prefer: Miss State's AD determining who represents the SEC East in the SEC Title game, or have Tennessee in (or out) because they tied 'Bama?

Dave
Old 11-05-2003, 07:38 PM   #12
Marc
Administrator

Not a big fan of Bill Curry ... he was horrible as UK coach, and I had season tickets when he coached there. This was a guy who benched eventual No. 1 pick Tim Couch for Billy Joe Holbert. No joke. It is funny how he starts talking about a call or penalty and then it goes totally against what he was saying, and he sarcastically says, "As I was saying..." He did that a couple times during the game.
Old 11-05-2003, 10:10 PM   #13
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Billy Joe Hobert? I though he played his college ball in Washington, platooning with Marc Brunell....or is there both a Billy Joe Hobert and a Billy Joe Holbert? Someone help me out.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 11:16 PM   #14
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

??? Got me, Kevin. BJ Hobert, I feel fairly sure, was a UW or Wazzu product, though whether he platooned with Brunell or not is beyond my memory or ability to find historical data at the moment. I'm not aware of a Holbert supplanting Couch at UK, but it sounds to me like Couch has a history of being benched that no one ever discusses.. (and with Kentucky being, generally, a football non-entity, I have little memory of the Curry-coached era at UK.)

Marc, the "as I was saying" line is Curry just being slightly self-deprecating, which is a good characteric, in my opinion. Too many of these goofs in booths start off in one direction and are too "macho" to back off and correct themselves, instead either skipping their errors altogether, or arguing pointlessly that the situation was somehow in error, and not him.

Dave
Old 11-05-2003, 11:38 PM   #15
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Billy Joe Hobert was a Washington qb that took an improper $50,000 loan. Him and Brunell pretty much both shared time.

This Billy Joe Marc speaks of is probably just some bum that backed up at Kentucky.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote