Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 03-03-2007, 01:18 PM   #1
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough
Default Carlos Zambrano Makes Bold Predictions

He is predicting he will win the Cy Young AWARD this season and that the Cubbies will go to the World Series.

I can see both happening if Prior and Wood ever fulfill their potential. But that is a big if.

I really think Alfonso Soriano will have a big year and if Derrek Lee can get back on track this team will produce some runs.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...news&fext=.jsp
Old 03-03-2007, 02:39 PM   #2
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Hey, why not? Zambrano is as good as any other pitcher in the NL and has just as good a chance to pick up the Cy Young as anyone else does. As to the Cubs making it to the WS, well.......

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 03:29 PM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Zambrano predicting he will win the Cy Young this year is not exactly going out on a limb. He has finished fifth in the voting the past two seasons so the writers are paying attention to him.

As for the Series I don't know. The Cubs are starting to resemble the Yankees of the National League. They overpaid to get two mediocre starters in Jason Marquis and Ted Lilly. They have an ace and then two other guys who have ace ability but can never seem to hold it together for an entire season to make the Cubs a viable contender. And they ponied up a ton of cash for who I think is an overrated player in Alphonso Soriano. They are also placing too much of a premium on offense over defense. Soriano was an adventure as a left fielder in DC what is he going to do playing center with the winds in Wrigley. Their best relievers are all specialty guys and they don't have anyone they can rely on to give them 3+ outs every time out on a consistent basis. They don't have any real table setters for the thunder in the middle of the order aside from maybe DeRosa. They don't have a true leadoff hitter. The defense up the middle is probably not going to be anything special either.

On top of all of that they don't have anyone who has shown they can consistently close out games over the course of a season. They probably have as good of a chance as any to make the playoffs but I just don't know that they have what it takes to make a serious run at the Series.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 02:25 AM   #4
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

Doublee, this is why the Cubs should bring Pie up to play CF and leave Soriano in left. Pie is a true lead-off hitter, or will become one with proper coaching, and is a very good defensive CF with a fairly good arm.

Catman
Old 03-04-2007, 10:47 PM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I think I'd bring Pie up just for his defense this year and hit him in the bottom third of the order until he becomes acclimated to ML pitching the way the Yanks did by batting Cano at the bottom of the order. That way he can concentrate on defense and not worry about hitting in the leadoff spot his rookie season. I think one of the mistakes the Cubs mad with Corey Patterson was rushing him up and sticking him into the leadoff position before he was ready to handle it at the Major League level. I am sure the Cubs are worried about it happening again with Pie.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:03 PM   #6
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

That might be a good idea. I'd like to see Pie in the majors this season, wherever he hits in the lineup. He has nothing more to prove in the minors.

Catman
Old 03-05-2007, 06:39 PM   #7
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

The only real reason to keep him down another year is the fact that his plate discipline is not the best and they want him to work on that a little more before coming up for good.