Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Basketball

Old 08-08-2006, 03:53 PM   #31
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Apparently Eric Gordon out of Indiana has been the top-rated player in several national events this summer. Gordon, who has committed to Illinois, set the event scoring record at the Las Vegas Big Time Tournament scoring 262 points in nine games.

Gordon led his team the Mean Streets Express to the title game, but his team lost to Kevin Love's team 69-63.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 03:40 AM   #32
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

O.J. Mayo reportedly has committed to USC. I think there's a press conference tomorrow.

I wonder how strong Gordon's commitment is. I've read that Kelvin Sampson is pushing hard to sway him to the home-state Hoosiers.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 04:31 PM   #33
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

Hold the Mayo: No commitment to USC yet

And, as far as Eric Gordon is concerned, he made a "visit" to Indiana over the August 5th weekend and was quoted following that "visit" as saying "I'm still going to Illinois."

I am excited to hear more about 6'8" Kyle Singler from Oregon's South Medford High. He has already made unofficial visits to UCLA and Washington, and is planning to visit Duke and Arizona in September, before visiting Kansas University for their annual Late Night in the Phog on October 13th.

And who would have ever thought that Kansas State University would ever land the number one high school basketball recruit in the country?

Michael Beasley was named the top-rated recruit by Rivals.com last week, while Gordon came in second, Singler is fourth, Mayo came in fifth and Bill Walker came in sixth.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:36 PM   #34
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

I'd be surprised to see how many of the high commitments will stick. Many of them have not made any visits to campuses. It's a long time from now to signing day.

Huggins is working his magic at KSU.

Old 08-14-2006, 06:53 PM   #35
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by da12ken

And he now has one more scholorship to work with, after a reserve power forward was found on the Kansas Bureau of Investigation web site as a convicted sex offender.

Yikes.

-RB
Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 02:07 AM   #36
Arrowhead14
Rookie Player

Arrowhead14 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noon
And he now has one more scholorship to work with, after a reserve power forward was found on the Kansas Bureau of Investigation web site as a convicted sex offender.

Yikes.

How does that go unnoticed? They made it sound like they just discovered it. The kid wasn't very good and it seems Huggins is trying to clear as many scholarships as possible.
Arrowhead14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 03:15 AM   #37
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road

They did just discover it. It went unnoticed because it happened before he was 18, so the records have been sealed.

He never even registered until May of this year, and it was only discovered because (I think) some fan was scrolling through the list and recognized him.

I'm not a huge Huggins fan, but I've got to believe he didn't have much say here either way. It's a PR nightmare if they didn't release him.

-RB
Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:16 AM   #38
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

Of course Kansas State is the school who at one time made a strong recruiting effort to land Tyree Evans, who they knew was facing charges of alleged statutory rape of a female classmate, until it was deemed he wasn't someone they were "willing to take a risk on."

If Kansas State is that scared of a "PR nightmare," maybe they shouldn't hire a coach who has had 19 former players and recruits charged with crimes (and was well aware of Evans' problems prior to recruiting him at Kansas State).
Old 08-15-2006, 06:53 PM   #39
Arrowhead14
Rookie Player

Arrowhead14 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noon
They did just discover it. It went unnoticed because it happened before he was 18, so the records have been sealed.

He never even registered until May of this year, and it was only discovered because (I think) some fan was scrolling through the list and recognized him.

I'm not a huge Huggins fan, but I've got to believe he didn't have much say here either way. It's a PR nightmare if they didn't release him.
Makes sense.
Arrowhead14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 11:41 AM   #40
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by da12ken
I'd be surprised to see how many of the high commitments will stick. Many of them have not made any visits to campuses. It's a long time from now to signing day.

Well, on the first official signing day on Wednesday, Bob Huggins signed 6'8" forward Michael Beasley (after he made a verbal commitment to Charlotte), 6'2" guard Fred Brown, 6'0" guard Jacob Pullen and 6'5" wing Dominque Sutton.

Add to that the fact that Bill Walker can begin playing and practicing with the Wildcats on December 16th, and Huggins continues to work "his magic at KSU."
Old 11-11-2006, 12:03 AM   #41
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

It's pretty filthy that North Carolina is recruiting no one for 2007, but will still be loaded for years to come.

Old 11-11-2006, 12:49 AM   #42
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Penn State landed their first Rivals150 player since, um, as long as I can remember when Talor Battle signed his LOI a couple days ago. 17th-ranked PG in the country. Good get for Ed DeChellis. Slowly his building this program back to respectability.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:42 AM   #43
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Kentucky is a leader for two studs in PG Jai Lucas (son of NBA player John Lucas) and PF Patrick Patterson. If they land those two, it will be a top class, but Patterson is likely to wait till spring. Both visited at the same time during Midnight Madness and got rock star treatment, including 23,000 fans chanting their names. But there is a ton of competition for them. Fingers crossed.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:14 PM   #44
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by da12ken View Post
It's pretty filthy that North Carolina is recruiting no one for 2007, but will still be loaded for years to come.
Well, they currently only have one scholarship open at this time for next year so that is main reason why they aren't actively recruiting anyone signficant at this time.

I don't know that they will be loaded for years to come. There is a very real possibility they take a step back after this season as there is widespread speculation that Brendan Wright is only a one year kid, Hansbrough could be gone after this year as well and if they have good years Wayne Ellington and Tywon Lawson could be gone as well. All four guys are currently rated in ESPN's top 42 for next year's draft. This, of course, is a worse case scenario, but the assumption seems to be that Wright will be in next year's draft.

Sidney Lowe is off to a good start on the recruiting trail landing two top 50 guys in J. J. Hickson and Tracy Smith, who committed to the Pack today, without accomplishing anything at all. Hickson is considered a 5-star stud at PF and Smith is rated a 4-star prospect at PF.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 02:41 AM   #45
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

Wright probably will be gone. Hansbrough maybe. Either Ellington and/or Lawson will probably have to stay since they won't have the minutes to showcase their skills (of course, there was Marvin Williams). Then in 2008, the Tar Heels will likely get Tyreke Evans.

Man, that UNC pipeline is sick.