Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 01:51 AM   #16
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Speaking of Cal, how did they start the season in the top 10? That game was brutal, and the score could have been far worse.
Old 09-03-2006, 02:23 AM   #17
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

I can't put too much lipstick on the pig that was the Cal-Tenn game but it was a million miles from home in one of the most intimidating stadiums in the country. Still...that will only get you so far when your ass was down 35-0 at one point. I was PISSED when we got a bite to eat after the game in Columbus and saw that score at the bar.
Old 09-03-2006, 02:53 AM   #18
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Cal's secondary did them in. At least three TD's were from horrible mis-tackles. Also the WR's didn't do too much. I thought they were relying too much on Hawkins. I don't even know the guy, but I do know Cal has Jackson and Jordan, two of the better WR's in the PAC-10.

USC was fantastic. The 2nd half was a real treat.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:28 AM   #19
LA sports
I love LA!

LA sports is on a distinguished road

Went to the UCLA/Utah game today and I am pretty happy with my Bruins. 31-10 victory. Our defense looked better than it did last year already(which is not saying much), and can you say Ben Olson. Ben looked awesome. I was disappointed in our running game though but I think it will come together as well with Markey, Bell and Williams. We've got Rice next week and we need to win these early games because our schedule gets real tough later. (at Notre Dame, at Cal, at ASU and of course the SC game as well as a tough Oregon team)
Old 09-03-2006, 04:46 AM   #20
Hawkeye crazy
Sports Enthusiast

Hawkeye crazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
Ohio State was horrible too Mike...if that makes ya feel any better. They basically gave up 280ish yards to this Wolfe kid from N. Ill. Their linebackers didn't attack the ball. The kicking game sucked. Gonna be a long night in Austin next week.

Grade: F

Wow... Thats a different tune from most Ohio States view point. Most like to come over to the Iowa board and say how great they are. In all honesty, I thought they played well today(although the defense sucked at times).
Old 09-03-2006, 10:44 AM   #21
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Cal's defense in general did them in. They could not tackle anyone and their corners looked like they were running in mud. The Vols' receivers just ran right past them at will.

Tennessee looked like the Tennessee of old. They were getting after it on defense and were just laying the lumber to Cal every chance they got.

Cal is the early frontrunner for most overrated team coming into the season. Legit top ten teams don't get embarrassed like that on the road.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
Old 09-03-2006, 11:50 AM   #22
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

Penn State looked awesome vs. Akron yesterday. Morelli got to show off how strong his arm is, bombing like a 45-yard pass to Deon Butler on PSU's 3rd play of the game. The running game didn't get much going, but the defense played pretty well. They held Akron to 9 points until there were around 2 or 3 minutes to go and they gave up a quick touchdown. Looking forward to next weeks PSU/ND game in South Bend.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
Old 09-03-2006, 12:20 PM   #23
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road

Colorado lost to a D-IAA team. Kansas State beat a D-IAA team by a point after one of the dumbest coaching decisions of the last 10 years. Kansas State also failed to score an offensive touchdown. No. 10 Oklahoma narrowly escaped against UAB. And Iowa State, a potential favorite to challenge Nebraska for the Big 12 North, went to triple overtime against Toledo.

Otherwise, a fantastic opening weekend for the Big 12.

-RB
Old 09-03-2006, 12:46 PM   #24
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noon View Post

Otherwise, a fantastic opening weekend for the Big 12.
I can't tell, but I think that post is dripping w/sarcasm.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:08 PM   #25
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

I can't help but chuckle a little bit at buckeye's grade of F after Ohio State utterly dominated a solid MAC team, who was ranked at one point last year I believe, and is a favorite to take their conference. NIU's running back is one of the best in the country, and in the Ohio State D's first real game together, they struggled a little bit, giving up a couple big plays, but really the game was never in doubt, and for the most part NIU was kept off the scoreboard. Is this last year's D? No, at least not yet, but they weren't too bad all things considered. They will need to be a bit better if they expect to beat teams like Texas, Iowa, Penn State and Michigan...I agree with you there. But I'm quite confident they will be after they gel a little. Don't forget that the 02 and 03 Buckeyes were prone to some big plays as well, and gave up their share of yards, but they tightened up on their end of the field, and kept teams off the scoreboard.

The offense is as advertised, which I was a bit suprised about. I thought it was overhyped a little going in, but it looked fantastic...there is so much talent everywhere. Chris Wells looks like he is going to be an Eddie George-type bruiser back to accomodate Antonio Pittman's own speed and size. Ginn didn't screw up at all, and made his usual big plays. Smith was deadly accurate, and we haven't even really see him scramble yet.

I really disagree with your assesment that the kicking game "sucked". Nugent is gone, and people like him don't come around very often in the college game. I mean, the kid we have missed kicks of 50 and 45 yards, I believe, from opposite hash-marks. Those are though kicks, and few teams besides Ohio State have been making them in recent years. He seems to have a lively leg...he booted the ball for touchbacks on nearly every kickoff, and he didn't miss any extra points so he's not a headcase yet, hopefully he doesn't hear too much chatter from those who are so quick to criticize in Columbus...I think he'll be fine. The offense is for real, the special teams is above average (but a little below what we're used to here), and the defense is young, talented, fast, and a bit prone to a big play right now it seems. Overall, I give their effort a solid B, with plenty of room and potential for improvement. I'm more confident after watching them in this game than I was going into the season.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:12 PM   #26
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

The Ohio State University has no excuse for not having a kicker who can't hit 45-yard field goals.

Offense...no comment...don't give a sh**. Just don't screw up and put pressure on the defense. They are seniors...act like it...and they did...just get back to work. We didn't see Smith scramble or an attempt to establish the run cuz Tressell wants to save that for next week...which I applaud. Still, I would have liked to seen more runs on 1st down to see what the backs had against a defense with 8 in the box.

Defense...sucked. No swarming...no gameplan to stop a one-man team.

Coaching was average/poor. All you have to do is spread the field against this defense and they will struggle...no matter who Tressel got out there over his tenure.

Hopefully Chris Wells is now #2 (as it seems to be) and Zwick sits on the bench for the rest of his life after this game. But those are two things anyone could have figured out before this game.

A solid F and little hope in Austin.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:13 PM   #27
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Michael Bush just went down with what looks like could be a very serious knee injury. He was having a monster game. That could doom Louisville's chances at a big season.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:27 PM   #28
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

Broken tibia will sideline Bush for the rest of the season. I wonder what that will do to his draft stock.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:16 AM   #29
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I doubt it would hurt his stock too terribly much as long as he is healthy by the combine. Broken legs are generally not as bad as busted up knees.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
Old 09-04-2006, 11:02 AM   #30
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jay 05 View Post
Penn State looked awesome vs. Akron yesterday. Morelli got to show off how strong his arm is, bombing like a 45-yard pass to Deon Butler on PSU's 3rd play of the game. The running game didn't get much going, but the defense played pretty well. They held Akron to 9 points until there were around 2 or 3 minutes to go and they gave up a quick touchdown. Looking forward to next weeks PSU/ND game in South Bend.
Awesome wouldn't be the word I would use to describe it. Good for sure but there were a lot of troubling developments that will keep Penn State from beating the three elite teams on the schedule this season.

1. Run blocking. Horrible, absolutely horrible. Now Akron runs a 3-3-5 and basically sold out to stop Tony Hunt. It was sound strategy, force Morelli to throw the ball in the rain, because they didn't know he was going to play so well in his first start. However, it doesn't exactly give PSU fans a warm fuzzy feeling going to Notre Dame next weekend not knowing whether PSU can consistently run or not.

2. Stopping the run. Penn State did a good job defending the pass. Getsy is a good QB and he did very little to hurt the Nittany Lions. His lone TD pass came after the game had been decided. However, Dennis Kennedy had some nice runs despite his relatively low rushing totals (25 for 59, 1 TD, 2.4 ypc). Darius Walker is a much better back than Kennedy. If Penn State can contain Walker, stopping the ND offense will be much easier.

3. Tackling by the seconday. Donnie Johnson was excellent out there but Justin King and Tony Davis need to improve their tackling. Way too many missed tackles against Akron. The rain could've had a minor effect on it but the secondary will get torched if they can't consistently bring down Samardzija and McKnight next week.

4. Jason Ganter. He botched two field goal snaps when he tripped on a fake and then flat out mishandled another one. He has one job on the team and 50% of the field goals snaps were bobbled. This isn't something that would keep PSU from beating Akron but it is something that can't happen against Notre Dame, Ohio State, etc.

Some good things:
1. Pass rush, especially from the linebackers
2. All three starting wide outs looked good
3. Morelli played well considering it was his first start and in a rainstorm
4. Dan Connor looked like an All-American