Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 08-10-2001, 05:00 AM   #1
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road
Default Simple Solution To Preseason Injuries: Shorten The Preseason!

August to the NFL is like April to the IRS - just as tax reform seems to become a "hot" issue right around April 15th, preseason injuries (or worse, as in the case of Korey Stringer) make the preseason itself a "hot" issue - or at least should make it such.

Toward that end, I propose shortening the preseason to three games for every team starting next year - instead of having most teams play four of these games and a few play five, as is done now. And that latter situation brings up another point: Since the teams that play the extra preseason game are almost always teams that had finished high in the standings the previous year (except the Hall of Fame game participants, which are determined rotationally), this is contrary to the "parity" the NFL is allegedly trying to promote - an extra preseason game gives the coaches one more week to evaluate talent, thereby providing them with more information on which to base decisions as to who to keep and who to cut (of course this assumes no one gets seriously injured during the additional week).

At the same time, lengthen the regular season from 16 to 18 games. Ideally, the two additional games should match teams in different divisions of the same conference; that way, teams in direct competition for playoff spots will be more likely to have played one another during the regular season, thereby streamilining the tie-breaking procedures should they need to be invoked. Under the schedule format that takes effect in 2002, there will be two games that will be determined by the previous year's standings; with an 18-game schedule there would be four such games instead. One possibility would be to have first-place teams play both 1s and both 2s from the two divisions in their own conference other than the one their entire division is matched up against under the rotation; then the second-place teams would play both 1s and both 3s, the third-place teams both 2s and both 4s, and the fourth-place teams both 3s and both 4s. Or you could simply have each team play all four teams from two of the other three divisions in their own conference, so that such teams would be guaranteed two meetings every three years.

Lyrics to live by:
"Oh well, whatever, never mind"
(Kurt Cobain [1967-1994], "Smells Like Teen Spirit")

Last edited by Anthony; 08-10-2001 at 08:36 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 03:22 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I like your theory - I am a big fan of making the season longer and shortening the preseason would be a smart move.
Marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 10:48 PM   #3
Jackson
Grizzled Veteran

Jackson is on a distinguished road

I second the motion. Who has Paul Tablieague's e-mail?
Old 08-11-2001, 03:19 PM   #4
Ross
Hall of Famer

Ross is on a distinguished road

I defintely think this is a good idea. Maybe, just maybe, the NFL could do like a 1-year trial on it, ala instant replay in 1991.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2001, 10:40 AM   #5
Mike Round
Sports Central Staff

Location: Home in Birmingham, England and divide at least 6 months of the year between South Carolina and New Jersey.
Mike Round is on a distinguished road

Great idea but the owners will fight it to the death because of their greed. They force season ticket holders to buy pre-season tickets thus increasing revenue. Pathetic, greedy and dangerous - but since when have owners ever cared about fans or players? Greed also explains why the NCAA will veto a college football play-off system - it would mean the end of the -----.com (Edit: While your point is valid, this is not the place to be linking up that kind of site) bowl game and all those other lucrative but meaningless bowl games.

Last edited by Anthony; 08-13-2001 at 05:02 AM.
Mike Round is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2001, 12:09 PM   #6
Jersey Devil
All-Star Player

Jersey Devil is on a distinguished road
Default You sure Mike?

"Great idea but the owners will fight it to the death because of their greed. They force season ticket holders to buy pre-season tickets thus increasing revenue. Pathetic, greedy and dangerous - but since when have owners ever cared about fans or players?"

16 regular season games, 4-5 preseason games now.

18 regular season games, 3 preseason games now.

Just at first look, there will be as many or more games the new way for the owners to make money. Plus, I'm guessing the regular season tickets are more expensive than the preseason ones ... therefore they make more money that way too.
Old 08-12-2001, 07:36 PM   #7
Mike Round
Sports Central Staff

Location: Home in Birmingham, England and divide at least 6 months of the year between South Carolina and New Jersey.

i was replying to the idea of shortening the pointless pre-season. Extending the regular season is a non-starter as the rosters will have to be extended to cover the undoubted extra injuries and players will demand a 1/8 pay rise at least to cover the extra 2 games - owners will never wear that.
So if - as is likely - the season stays at 16 games the owners will demand the same old pre season.
Old 08-13-2001, 03:42 AM   #8
Anthony

Mike, have you ever stopped to think that a longer regular season would mean that injuries would have less of an impact on a typical team's prospects and not more? Let's say somebody's starting quarterback separates his shoulder and misses four games. With a 16-game schedule, that team has only twelve other games to make up whatever ground they lose in the standings while their first-string quarterback is out. With an 18-game season they would have 14 other games to get back in the hunt. So the longer the regular season is, the more likely that division titles and playoff berths will be decided on the field and not in the hospital!

And as for the issue of paying the players more: Remember that, for most teams, we're talking about exchanging only one preseason game for two regular-season games here - so both the owners and the TV networks are going to be making more money. So why shouldn't the players get a fair share of this additional revenue? (By the way, none of this has any realistic chance of happening until at least 2006, in that the current TV deals expire at the end of the 2005 season and there is probably no way it could be done under the present contract).

Lyrics to live by:

Last edited by Anthony; 08-13-2001 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-13-2001, 10:26 AM   #9
Mike Round
Sports Central Staff

Good points Anthony but the owners have a track record of not wanting to share additional revenue with players.
I've seen this 'expand the regular season' theme touted by various sports writers before, and the consensus is that it means additions to the roster hence more salary cap - something the owners won't like, though I accept some injured players may get back to playing fitness by the season's end.
Maybe my owner paranoia is getting the better of me!
Old 08-13-2001, 10:06 PM   #10
Anthony

Sorry Mike, can't agree with you here. Of the four major sports, none can match the NFL for amicability in its labor-management relations. If anything keeps the owners from going to an 18-game regular season come 2006, it will be simply inertia on the owners' part and not any disinclination toward giving the players a fair share of whatever additional revenue the move would generate.

And the experience with the USFL also tends to weaken your "injury" argument. The USFL played an 18-game regular season, and it didn't stop Jim Kelly, Reggie White and Steve Young (just to name three) from moving on to distinguished NFL careers.

Lyrics to live by:
Old 08-13-2001, 10:46 PM   #11
Ross
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony
And the experience with the USFL also tends to weaken your "injury" argument. The USFL played an 18-game regular season, and it didn't stop Jim Kelly, Reggie White and Steve Young (just to name three) from moving on to distinguished NFL careers.
Not to mention how the CFL does an 18 game schedule, which has produced Warren Moon, Jeff Garcia and Doug Flutie.
Old 09-07-2001, 04:49 PM   #12
Spike
N.B.A. Moderator

Spike is on a distinguished road
Default Preseason being useless

I'm so glad the N.F.L. season is almost upon us and that the preseason is over. I think the preseason is useless. All you really need is 2 weeks of preseason. And then maybe 18 regular season games for each team which is what a lot of people talk about.

All preseason games are, are pigs dressed up to look nice.

The only thing that matters with them are injuries and maybe seeing young players develop.

We'll we ever see that talked about ideal of a shortened preseason. Probably not because the owners know they can rip fans off by the long preseason they have. Just look at last week's monday night preseason game. It made the Top 10 for the week in T.V. ratings so fans are really being suckers and buying into this stuff.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2001, 06:24 PM   #13
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

[Spike, I've merged your thread with this one to avoid confusion and redudancy.]

I, too, am very much looking forward to this weekend. Football is finally in full force, with Week One kicking off. I'm ordering NFL Sunday Ticket so I get all the games. Yeehaw!
Marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2001, 01:18 AM   #14
Spike
N.B.A. Moderator

Spike is on a distinguished road
Default Regular season starting soon

Quote:
Originally posted by mjames:

[Spike, I've merged your thread with this one to avoid confusion and redudancy.]
Whoops, sorry about that, Marc. I glanced over the threads on my screen before I posted and apparently missed that this thread was here.

Quote:
I, too, am very much looking forward to this weekend. Football is finally in full force, with Week One kicking off. I'm ordering NFL Sunday Ticket so I get all the games. Yeehaw!
My enthusiasm is a little dampened now since I found out the games I'm getting here: Ravens-Bears, Falcons at 49ers, and Raiders-Chiefs. Ugh.

I can't wait for the Monday Night game though (even though we still have to endure Dennis Miller again). Giants and Broncos. Now that should be a good one.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2001, 10:38 AM   #15
Ross
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by mjames
Ditto there, Marc.

I love it when I can sit back on the couch and watch the game I want to watch instead of some lame Cowboys or otherwise dumb game.