Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 08:13 PM   #61
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Okay, we can look at the career splits with Runners in Scoring Position if you like.

For their careers Dunn is hitting .226, .417 OBP, a homer every 19.9 plate appearances and a RBI every 3.35 plate appearances.

Howard is hitting .276, .422 OBP, homers once every 16.60 plate appearances and drives in a run ever 2.62 plate appearances.

We can look at RISP with 2 outs if you want but Howard embarrasses him even more in that situation.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
Old 09-11-2008, 09:19 PM   #62
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Come on Doub... You know that RBI is the most misleading statistic in baseball.

It is entirely team dependent.
I was just about to come to the site and start a thread about how misleading RBI and wins are and if they really were that team dependent. Certainly team dependent to some degree, but entirely team dependent?

The example I was going to use was going to be the Chicago Cubs. Ryan Howard has 128 RBI. Aramis Ramirez has 103. That's a pretty big difference between the two. Is it all team dependent? Well, the 1-2-3 hitters for the Cubs get on base more than the 1-2-3 hitters for the Phillies. As well, the 3 hitters for both teams are around the same in RBI. Lee having 86 and Utley 81. So, here, we have two teams getting runners on base just as much as each other this season, but one of them is driving in runs at a much better rate than the other.

Now, I realize not too many people will make the argument that Aramis Ramirez is a better hitter than Ryan Howard, but he does have a much higher average this year. So, it's not purely team dependent. It goes a lot with the type of hitter you are. I would argue that Howard is having a really good year, that goes deep under the radar because of the way he's hitting with runners on base. Howard is really affected by the shift when he hits without runners on base and is struggling to get over that. Eventually, he probably will and become a much better hitter. Which, is aside the point.

The main point is that to say RBI is entirely team dependent is to really look at only part of the story. You still need to be a certain type of hitter to drive in runs and there is some skill involved. Sometimes you need to have the mental makeup to not want to hit a homerun, to know you need to drive the ball in the gaps to get two runs in rather than go for it all with a homerun and end up with a fly ball to the warning track.

I think you need to watch Howard to truly appreciate what he does. A lot of people see the HRs, see the Ks and think that he's either going to hit a homerun or strikeout. Howard is at his best when he is singling in runs in big spots in ballgames. When he's locked in, he's really good. 6 for 14 off Johan Santana. Tough to imagine with his overall stats against lefties. You could call it luck, just a fluke, or any of those things, but I think it's mental. It's also part of why he doesn't do well against the shift.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:03 PM   #63
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Here you go Hibachi, for his career Howard is hitting .290 with 22 homers and 126 RBIs in 276 ABs with RISP and 2 outs.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:52 AM   #64
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

The real winner today was the weather. 5 games postponed by bad weather. Of all the times to have a series in Houston -- Ike is the winner there, for sure.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:28 PM   #65
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

So the Jays pound the Red Sox 8-1 & the Rays are slicing & dicing the Yankees 7-0 in the 7th which'll put them 4 games up in the loss column. Longoria's up to his old tricks, I see.

See, Mush?

I told you to keep calm.

It's always good for a team to feel some heat at this stage of the year.

Last edited by Tarkus; 09-13-2008 at 08:53 PM.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:58 PM   #66
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Longoria is a solid player, I think he should be good down the stretch. The injury might have helped him avoid that kind of downturn that a lot rookies seem to get when September comes around and they've had a solid first year.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:04 PM   #67
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

Magic # is 9 to make the postseason 14 to win the AL East.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:25 AM   #68
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Redsox will have to make their move down in Tampa if they want a shot at the East.

How bout the Sox and Twins in the Central? Looks like a good race.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:23 PM   #69
Brandon
is lurking...

Brandon is on a distinguished road

If my Braves can't make the playoffs nothing makes me happier than watching them help cause the Mets second straight September swoon.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:22 AM   #70
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

The Brewers certainly look poised to blow that wildcard lead. I'll be fairly shocked if Ned Yost has a job at the end of the season. They have talent there in Milwaukee now, but Yost is not very good at this managing thing. Going into the Series with Philadelphia Yost decided, since they were 4 games up on Philly for the wildcard and 4 back of the Cubs for the division, why not make sure we don't get CC in this series even if on short rest...save him for the Cubs.

Well, 4 games later that 4 game lead is none and the division is not even a consideration anymore. Probably should have got CC in last night to try and leave Philly with a 2 game WC lead.

The Brewers lost all 7 to the Mets and Phillies this month and if they miss the playoffs, they can likely blame it on that.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:38 AM   #71
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I wonder how safe Yost is as well if they don't make the playoffs. They went out and made the moves they made because they thought they had a legit shot at making a run at the World Series this year. This would make the second straight year the Brewers went in the tank after a strong start to the season.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:06 PM   #72
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

John Maine hopes to get back in time to be able to pitch in the Mets season ending series next weekend. He says he is willing to work out of the pen for the rest of the year if the Mets need him to. Anything the Mets could get out of him could be a nice boost as the bullpen is a bit sketchy with the loss of Wagner.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3589832
Old 09-16-2008, 01:51 PM   #73
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Right now, there isn't a team in the NL playoff hunt that would scare me if I were the Angels or Red Sox. Either team is much better than the best in the NL, and they have to get through the Rays as well.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:49 PM   #74
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

It keeps getting worse for the Brewers. Sheets leaves game in second with tightness in his forearm:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3594525
Old 09-18-2008, 01:11 PM   #75
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

That's probably a good thing for the Brewers. They likely weren't going to make the playoffs and now they have a much better shot at keeping Sheets.
Closed Thread