Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 10-19-2004, 10:40 PM   #1
TexSooner05
Rookie Player

TexSooner05 is on a distinguished road
Default An idea to improve the situation for "non BCS schools"

Ok, this may sound kind of crazy, but I think it would bring a lot to the table for college football.
Take a large BCS conference....lets say the BIG 12, and now lets take a small conference in the same area....lets say Conference USA. I think it would be a great idea to have the 2 bests teams in the smaller conference (conference USA), and the 2 worst teams in the larger conference (Big 12) to switch conferences at the end of the season. They could do this every season and I think it would not only give smaller schools a chance, but put a lot of excitement in the game, with new teams to play every year and give smaller schools more room for growth.

Just a thought....I actually got the idea from soccer leagues in Europe.
TexSooner05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 10:55 PM   #2
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Actually, most college football experts think it is only a matter of time until the Big Five (Pac-10, Big Ten, Big 12, SEC, and ACC) swallow up the remainining D-I programs.

Besides, this won't really work because football schedules are typically set two to three years ahead of time. Plus, you run the risk of ruining rivalries if a school is in the midst of a down cycle. Take the ACC for example. UNC/Duke is a huge deal even though Duke sucks at football. If you instituted this plan then no more UNC/Duke games for a few seasons until both schools had open Out of Conference schedules. Look at Ohio State this year, they are 0-3 in the Big Ten and looking up at the rest of the conference. What if this happens to be a rebuilding year and they end up finishing towards the bottom of the conference. The Big Ten would lose all of thos marquee money games with OSU. Plus, they would be out any bowl monies that OSU would generate when they rebound next season and make it back to a quality bowl game.

I could not see the major conferences buy into this idea because they would run the risk of losing a revenue generating school if they had a down year. Not to mention how much it screws things up to have your conference set one way for football and different for every other sport. How do you effectively govern your conference with potentially 16 or 17 schools having skin in the game?
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 10:55 PM   #3
Joepritch2
Grizzled Veteran

Joepritch2 is on a distinguished road

Yes, but then you lose traditional rivalries should a team go south for a season. You're also relegating those conferences like C-USA for example from creating their own identity and eventually becoming a power conference in their own right, should their teams show consistent successes vs. BCS conference teams.
Joepritch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 11:06 PM   #4
TexSooner05
Rookie Player

TexSooner05 is on a distinguished road

I never said I thought it would happen. I personally do not see the conferences buying into it myself for the same reasons you listed above. Though, for your example of OSU, their games would still be very important even when moved down to the lower conference. After their "rebuilding year" they could, for example, win the Conference USA championship and be back in the Big 10 next season. I believe that would be exciting to watch as well. Also, I know scheduling is something teams do way in advance, but you could simple make your rivals non-conference games (ex. Colorado/Colorado State), or maybe the NCAA shouldn't schedule ahead like they do.
BUT I do understand this plan has a lot of kinks in it, and you have made great points that make me ULTIMATELY believe this would never work.

Thanks for the comments
TexSooner05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 11:30 PM   #5
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Good Lord, this is a traditionalist's worst nightmare. Thank God it's impossible.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 11:42 PM   #6
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Scheduling is not handled by the NCAA it is done individually by the school's athletic directors. That is one of the AD's main job functions is to set the schedules for all of their respective school's sports.
Old 10-20-2004, 03:13 AM   #7
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Welcom, TexSooner!

I LOVE your plan from a (non-traditional) fan's standpoint, and it'd get my vote. But, as doublee and others have already spelled out the logistical and tradition-and money-based reluctance why it could never happen.

One quibble with Doublee's statement: Conference schedules are (at least not in the Big Ten) not made out years and advance, or at least they are not released until after the year before ends. This allows them wiggle room, so I don't think scheduling (rivalry problems aside) would be too big a problem.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 07:55 PM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Conference schedules may not be done that far ahead of time, but almost all non-conference games are scheduled, or at least agreed to, years in advance.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:02 PM   #9
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

Right, but that's OK, because non-conference shedules would not be impacted by this plan.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
Old 10-20-2004, 08:04 PM   #10
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Well, I think the defection of VT and Miami to the ACC, leaving the BE remainders to hunt and peck for schedule filler, is proof that the non-conference schedules are also due a little bit of latitude.

I personally believe that scheduling is something the NCAA should enforce some control over at all levels. Of course, that'll never happen, because the conferences (really, univ. presidents) don't want to lose control of being able to dictate to all comers that they'll have 6 home games each season, hell, high water, or visits from the Rocco Clubbo School for Women's typewriter maintenance class.

Dave
Old 10-20-2004, 08:33 PM   #11
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinBeane
Right, but that's OK, because non-conference shedules would not be impacted by this plan.
Oh, but they could be. Let us say for example that OSU has Cincinnati on their non-conference schedule for next season, which is not that far out of the realm of possiblity as they have played two out of the last three years. Let's say that after season due to Louisville's outstanding season and OSU's bad season these two swap conferences. OSU goes to C-USA the same conference that Cincy is in. Now CIncy is a conference foe and OSU has to find someone to fill that whole in its schedule for next season.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:34 PM   #12
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

Well, there's two possible solutions to that problem in that hypothetical scenario. One is, they go ahead and play Cincinnati in the non-conference season anyway, even though they're in the same conference now. The game would not count towards conference standings. I grant you this is an unappealing solution, but it's not unprecedented. Teams from the same conference often meet up in college basketball in those early season tournaments (for example, the Far West Classic is co-hosted by Oregon and Oregon State. It's only a 4 team tournament, so the Ducks and Beavers end up playing each other quite a bit. Doesn't count in the Pac 10 standings).

If you combine that with a rule that you says, going forward, you can't schedule an OOC with a team in a conference you could play in in relegation. SO eventually it wouldn't be a prob....except for more travel for OOC games.

Old 10-20-2004, 09:48 PM   #13
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

As for fogginess in counting games against conf/non-conf schedules, you needn't go outside of football, although the examples work the opposite way of that described by KB above.

A couple of Sun Belt schools (I forget which) are allowed to count a couple of non-conf games (again, teams lost in the whirls of my mind) toward their conf record. I don't think I ever read a rationale, though.

As for relegation/promotion, I like the idea on its face, but the more I think about it, the more a professional sport resolution to poor performance I find it to be.

This may come as a shock to most of us, but college athletics isn't supposed to be a professional business venture.

What's more, you'd have, in doublee's hypothetical, something like this occur:
UofL and OSU swap conferences for '05.
UofL, being not quite deep enough for B11 competition, falls back to CUSA.
OSU rebounds, back to B11.
UofL returns to B11 in three years, on the backs of that '05 recruiting class, then falls back again.

I'd prefer we just let the Big 5 conferences splinter off into their own semi-pro league.

Dave
Old 10-20-2004, 10:04 PM   #14
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by MountaineerDave

I'd prefer we just let the Big 5 conferences splinter off into their own semi-pro league.

Isn't that what the BCS is?
Old 10-20-2004, 10:06 PM   #15
gconnhokiebird
age 13- itallion stallion

gconnhokiebird is on a distinguished road

This isn't a bad idea, but hasn't everyone been a little sick of all these teams moving to differnt confernces. It breaks the traditon. IMO all the confernces should have the same teams forever. I personally wished Miami, Virginia Tech, and BC would have stayed in the Big East. The only way to really get non B.C.S. Teams involved is too have a tournament. (which will never happen)
gconnhokiebird is offline   Reply With Quote