Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 12-05-2005, 01:06 PM   #1
190 Octane
All-Star Player

190 Octane is on a distinguished road
Default BCS bowls are in place....and they're a joke

http://www.bcsfootball.org/news.cfm?headline=139

Wow. Just...wow.
I know the conferences are guaranteed a bid for their champion, but an 8-4 team? That's a travesty. Your conference should lose its bid for the season if 8-4 is the best you can produce.

And Notre Dame - it's time for the suits to stop claiming a computer does these rankings, since it's obviously a business decision. ND is in for money and nothing else. They have ONE win against another bowl-bound team, no wins against a current Top 25, and a loss to a 5-6 team.

And once again, the West Coast is hung out to dry. Oregon has one loss, to the No. 1 team in the nation no less, and three wins over bowl-bound teams (Fresno State, Arizona State, Cal). This is a joke.
190 Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 01:54 PM   #2
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 190 Octane
http://www.bcsfootball.org/news.cfm?headline=139

Wow. Just...wow.
I know the conferences are guaranteed a bid for their champion, but an 8-4 team? That's a travesty. Your conference should lose its bid for the season if 8-4 is the best you can produce.

And Notre Dame - it's time for the suits to stop claiming a computer does these rankings, since it's obviously a business decision. ND is in for money and nothing else. They have ONE win against another bowl-bound team, no wins against a current Top 25, and a loss to a 5-6 team.

And once again, the West Coast is hung out to dry. Oregon has one loss, to the No. 1 team in the nation no less, and three wins over bowl-bound teams (Fresno State, Arizona State, Cal). This is a joke.
But the 8-4 team you mention (Florida State) beat the 3 best teams in the ACC. (Boston College, Miami, and Va Tech) FSU clinched a spot in the ACC title game way before the season was over, so you have to think that maybe they werent really motivated towards the end of the season.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 04:09 PM   #3
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jay 05
But the 8-4 team you mention (Florida State) beat the 3 best teams in the ACC. (Boston College, Miami, and Va Tech) FSU clinched a spot in the ACC title game way before the season was over, so you have to think that maybe they werent really motivated towards the end of the season.
They lost to Virginia, Clemson and N.C. State. No team that loses to a 7-4 and two 6-5 teams sure as hell ain't the best team in the conference. I'm not saying that FSU won't give Penn State a game, but the 'Noles don't deserve the opportunity. I feel really bad for Oregon fans, having to watch an overrated ND team and a four loss Florida State team get BCS bids while they're headed to the Holiday Bowl to face the third best team in the Big 12.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:14 PM   #4
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

If the above is true, then it's not an argument against the BCS so much as an argument against conference championship games. If you have conference championship games, and you tie the winner to the BCS, then this can happen. These arguments would carry more clout if you guys were complaining about confernce championship game winners getting automatic bids into the BCS BEFORE this happened, not just now when we don't like the result. And I want citations!

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 04:20 PM   #5
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
They lost to Virginia, Clemson and N.C. State. No team that loses to a 7-4 and two 6-5 teams sure as hell ain't the best team in the conference. I'm not saying that FSU won't give Penn State a game, but the 'Noles don't deserve the opportunity. I feel really bad for Oregon fans, having to watch an overrated ND team and a four loss Florida State team get BCS bids while they're headed to the Holiday Bowl to face the third best team in the Big 12.
So who do you think is the best team in the ACC?

Old 12-05-2005, 04:27 PM   #6
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

As it turns out, Notre Dame wasn't even really "selected" over Oregon. Notre Dame got in automatically because of the deal they have with the BCS. That's where your complaint lies. Oregon wasn't getting in the BCS unless they somehow made it into the top four of the BCS standings. Should have sheduled harder I guess.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:32 PM   #7
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jay 05
So who do you think is the best team in the ACC?
Miami. Let them play FSU again and I bet that they would beat them.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:39 PM   #8
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
Miami. Let them play FSU again and I bet that they would beat them.
Yea I'm sure Miami would give them a much better game now.

Old 12-05-2005, 07:23 PM   #9
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

This is EXACTLY why I can't get into college football. I love the sport, but this "bowl" BS is a joke.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:03 PM   #10
190 Octane
All-Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky the Kid
As it turns out, Notre Dame wasn't even really "selected" over Oregon. Notre Dame got in automatically because of the deal they have with the BCS. That's where your complaint lies. Oregon wasn't getting in the BCS unless they somehow made it into the top four of the BCS standings. Should have sheduled harder I guess.
You'd have a point about Oregon "scheduling harder" if not for the fact their schedules are almost equal, save for the fact Oregon has a slight edge in both combined opponents' record and record number of bowl teams played.

Oregon: Combined record of opponents 57-54
Record against bowl-bound teams 4-1 (beat Houston, Cal, ASU, and Fresno; lost to USC)

Notre Dame: Combined record of opponents 60-62
Record against bowl-bound teams 3-1 (beat BYU, Navy, Michigan; lost to USC)

And the kicker, Oregon has a better record. Shouldn't that account for something? Let's not forget Notre Dame lost to a 5-6 team, too. Even if ND has some "deal" with the BCS, that right there is enough to add even more fuel to the flame against the BCS. Remember, ND is not affiliated with a conference BY CHOICE, to make a truckload of money from NBC they don't have to share with a league. That's a choice. They shouldn't be rewarded by the BCS for it.

As far as the Florida State thing, I think there should be one of two resolutions: either 1. an understading going into the season you have to hold a certain record to get the conference automatic bid, otherwise your league loses that bid or 2. drop the conference title game system. A four-loss team has NO BUSINESS playing in the BCS.

And Jay, you said FSU had a spot in the conference championship game sewn up so they weren't "motivated." A team should be rewarded for taking games off? Games against some very mediocre teams, no less? That's ridiculous. If anything, the BCS should be a reward to NOT become complacent in such situations.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:12 PM   #11
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

You all realize that the BCS was put in place to pit number one versus number two and the rest is just in place to placate the revenue generating conferences right? I find it funny how folks get their panties in a bunch over the other BCS games that are not the national title game. Other than from an entertainment standpoint it really doesn't matter who plays in what bowl game other than the Rose Bowl this year given that there are two unbeaten teams.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 09:14 PM   #12
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 190 Octane
And Jay, you said FSU had a spot in the conference championship game sewn up so they weren't "motivated." A team should be rewarded for taking games off? Games against some very mediocre teams, no less? That's ridiculous. If anything, the BCS should be a reward to NOT become complacent in such situations.
No I agree, they shouldnt be rewarded for taking games off. But as the season turned out, FSU did clinch a spot in the title game a few games before the season ended. Now since they were able to beat Virginia Tech, I think that they did somewhat slack off against the mediocre teams in the ACC. But they were technically the best team in the conference, so I still think they deserve the BCS spot.

Old 12-05-2005, 10:11 PM   #13
190 Octane
All-Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee
You all realize that the BCS was put in place to pit number one versus number two and the rest is just in place to placate the revenue generating conferences right? I find it funny how folks get their panties in a bunch over the other BCS games that are not the national title game. Other than from an entertainment standpoint it really doesn't matter who plays in what bowl game other than the Rose Bowl this year given that there are two unbeaten teams.
That couldn't be any further from the truth. Who makes the other BCS games means a lot. Each BCS team gets $7.2 million to spread throughout its athletic department. And if a conference gets two teams, that second team generates and extra chunk of revenue for each school in the conference. It's somewhere in the vicinity of $1 million extra per university. So in reality, who gets a BCS bid means quite a bit.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:22 PM   #14
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

I think Doublee makes some valid points. And as far as Oregon goes, they played one top 10 ranked team and got blown away. I think for the first time in several years, each BCS bowl game is worth watching for all kinds of reasons. Unless you're a Oregon fan, what would you rather watch in the Fiesta bowl, ND vs Oregon, Ohio vs Oregon or ND vs Ohio? I'll bet you 9 out of 10 college football fans would rather watch the last one.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:39 PM   #15
digital7
Deep South

digital7 is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty happy with the fact that we're playing Louisiana State in the Peach Bowl rather than playing Louisville AGAIN minus Brohm which would surely have been a killing.

I happen to think it's the best non BCS matchup this year.. I just wish Russell recovers in time for the game. I want LSU at full strength
digital7 is offline   Reply With Quote