Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 08-16-2006, 12:58 PM   #1
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough
Default 20 Reasons Why the NFL is better than College Football

Sorry his reasons don't convince me. Super Bowl is big, but the Championship Bowl is better to me:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...len&id=2549313
Old 08-16-2006, 04:14 PM   #2
LA sports
I love LA!

LA sports is on a distinguished road

This guy is so far off. College football is far better than the NFL. Most of his reasons are simply wrong. He talks about rivalries, no sport has more than college football, this guy is not very bright. He says that there are a lot of NFL teams that have a chance at the Super Bowl, is he trying to say their are more teams than have a chance at the NC?

Plus college football does not have hold outs. As far as the cheerleaders showing skin, NFL cheerleaders wear hose on their legs while many of the college cheerleaders are just showing skin and those college cheerleaders are getting mighty skimpy with the uniforms as well. Plus do they lift the NFL cheerleaders in the air like in college, don't think so.

You also see a lot more ego in the NFL and less team spirit. To me it's not even close.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:20 PM   #3
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

I don't care who plays...I NEED FOOTBALL....NOW!
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 12:40 AM   #4
The Pirate Bob
All-Star Player

The Pirate Bob is on a distinguished road

The is no greater loyalty than a person for his alma mater and their football team. Up or down, good or bad, you just gotta root for them and wish them the best.

The rivalries and enthusiasm at important college games is the best thing about sports to me.

I love to watch pro football, but am 10 times more emotionally involved with college football. Nothing hurts more than to see my beloved Sun Devils lose a close one. Even to watch the great rivalries in all the other parts of the country is just amazing. The spirit and excitement at those games is just so special year after year.

To compare the NFL to college football is sort of like 2 different good kinds of sex. The NFL is like having a real good $500 hooker. And College football is like having a young beautiful virgin. You wouldn't turn down either if you could afford it, but I will take a virgin every time.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:08 AM   #5
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Some of Pasquarelli's points are silly but the point is valid. Comparing the NFL to college game is like having a film of 1 player, from college thru the pros. While the young version would bring a lot of commentary, it would have more to do with the surroundings, that period of time in the young player's life, etc., than the game itself.

If you look for pure football, you got to the NFL. If you look for the college scene, school rivalries, your alma mater, etc., you watch college ball. & while you find good games at times, it's from a far less talented pool.

So while comparing them isn't fair, if someone talks straight football, the NFL has no equal. It's fun to watch the learning of the game stage with highlights of true NFL bound talent but I personally like watching the best of the best, picked from the best standouts that college has to offer...
Old 08-17-2006, 01:12 AM   #6
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78
I don't care who plays...I NEED FOOTBALL....NOW!
Ditto. Thanks to the glory that is NFL Network, I have watched every preseason game that aired last week. I need games that matter.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 01:58 AM   #7
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus
Some of Pasquarelli's points are silly but the point is valid. Comparing the NFL to college game is like having a film of 1 player, from college thru the pros. While the young version would bring a lot of commentary, it would have more to do with the surroundings, that period of time in the young player's life, etc., than the game itself.

If you look for pure football, you got to the NFL. If you look for the college scene, school rivalries, your alma mater, etc., you watch college ball. & while you find good games at times, it's from a far less talented pool.

So while comparing them isn't fair, if someone talks straight football, the NFL has no equal. It's fun to watch the learning of the game stage with highlights of true NFL bound talent but I personally like watching the best of the best, picked from the best standouts that college has to offer...
Tarkus is just hatin' cuz the Bears resemble a college team most years....division II that is. :lol:
Old 08-17-2006, 02:05 AM   #8
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

That's gotta be the most outrageous, tho true, thing anyone has ever said to me.....
Old 08-17-2006, 02:10 AM   #9
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

But the Bears will keep on fightin' the good fight Tark...

I think some of this debate has to do with where you live and grew up. The order of importance here is...

1. High School football
2. College football
3. NFL football

Once you get closer to Cleveland though people are 100% crazy for the Brownies.

And it isn't like any one entity is missing out on love. It's football 24/7 here in Ohio. Thank God.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:20 AM   #10
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

I know what you mean...

My order of importance went:

1. Left HS beginning of senior year...mutually agreed with school admin...
2. Worked like a dog for family considerations....
3. Had Sunday afternoons off sometimes for the NFL...

So I can see I'm missing that critical college indoctrination. But even bein' the complete loser that I am, I still like the pro game better....
Old 08-17-2006, 02:34 AM   #11
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus
I know what you mean...

My order of importance went:

1. Left HS beginning of senior year...mutually agreed with school admin...
2. Worked like a dog for family considerations....
3. Had Sunday afternoons off sometimes for the NFL...

So I can see I'm missing that critical college indoctrination. But even bein' the complete loser that I am, I still like the pro game better....
:lol:

This only means you still have college elgibility left though Tark. If you play your cards right you can play in college and then for the Bears...at age 90. :lol:
Old 08-17-2006, 02:44 AM   #12
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
But the Bears will keep on fightin' the good fight Tark...

I think some of this debate has to do with where you live and grew up. The order of importance here is...

1. High School football
2. College football
3. NFL football

Once you get closer to Cleveland though people are 100% crazy for the Brownies.

And it isn't like any one entity is missing out on love. It's football 24/7 here in Ohio. Thank God.
I don't say this very often, but Buckeye is pretty much dead on. A lot of football passion has to do with where you live and grow up. At my first job, out in the middle of no where, it was high school football all the way. People lived and died with a bunch of 16-18 year old kids. At my current job, in a Division I town, it's college football 24-7. The high school team gets talked about in passing, but you can't turn around without someone asking about the college team. But where I grew up, it was the NFL team that got nearly all the attention. Saturday's were for the college game and a preview of Sunday, the rest of the week belonged to the NFL.

Obviously, this is a broad generalization and not everyone falls into the same catagory, but I'd say people tend to gravitate more toward the primary level of competition in their town/city.

-RB
Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 03:10 AM   #13
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Quote:

This only means you still have college elgibility left though Tark. If you play your cards right you can play in college and then for the Bears...at age 90. :lol:

& with the luck of a Bears fan, be their leading rusher/receiver....:thumbup:
Old 08-17-2006, 05:56 AM   #14
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA sports
This guy is so far off. College football is far better than the NFL. Most of his reasons are simply wrong. He talks about rivalries, no sport has more than college football, this guy is not very bright. He says that there are a lot of NFL teams that have a chance at the Super Bowl, is he trying to say their are more teams than have a chance at the NC?

Plus college football does not have hold outs. As far as the cheerleaders showing skin, NFL cheerleaders wear hose on their legs while many of the college cheerleaders are just showing skin and those college cheerleaders are getting mighty skimpy with the uniforms as well. Plus do they lift the NFL cheerleaders in the air like in college, don't think so.

You also see a lot more ego in the NFL and less team spirit. To me it's not even close.

Of course then again you may not exactly be unbiased here, since you reside in the biggest "college town" of all - Los Angeles! :lol:

But more seriously, I can come up with a few areas where the college game is superior, including:

1. If, on a 1st-and-10 play, the defense commits a foul which carries a 5-yard penalty and an automatic first down (defensive holding, etc.), they do not move the chains in college, making the next play 1st-and-5; in the NFL they do, and the next play becomes 1st-and-10 (which has the net effect of penalizing defensive holding less severely than an offsides in that same situation, which makes no sense whatsoever).

2. In college, offensive pass interference carries a 5-yard penalty and a loss of down, instead of 10 yards and no loss of down in the NFL (if defensive pass interference carries an automatic first down even if the spot of the foul was short of the first-down marker, shouldn't what's good for the goose be good for the gander?).

3. And I also like the college rule which gives the defense on a conversion attempt a chance to score if they come up with a turnover.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:42 AM   #15
LA sports
I love LA!

LA sports is on a distinguished road

Man I forgot, I don't even have an NFL team anymore. I guess I am a bit bias. I loved watching the LA Rams and was a faithful fan until they moved. A little bitter as well I suppose.