Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 09-07-2006, 11:50 AM   #1
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough
Default Hot Topics in College Football

I love Miami and Florida St kicking off the season. What a great start. I think the game was a great defensive effort for both teams.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/column...van&id=2573344
Old 09-07-2006, 06:13 PM   #2
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Defensive effort or offensive struggle? Kyle Wright and Drew Weatherford didn't exactly play their best games- and it wasn't because of either defense.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:37 PM   #3
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

UGA for some reason is benching their best WR Massoquoi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJC.com
By CARTER STRICKLAND
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 09/07/06

Athens — Mohamed Massaquoi, Georgia's top wide receiver a year ago, has been moved out of the starting lineup in favor of senior Mario Raley.

"[Massaquoi] is one of the hardest workers that we have," receivers coach John Eason said Wednesday. "But there were just some little things in terms of assignments and just route running effort. I felt like it could have been better."

Your Turn
What do you think of the decision to bench Mohamed Massaquoi and start Mario Raley and A.J. Bryant at wide receiver?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm all for it. Gotta shake things up for the Carolina game. 56.12% 1641
Not sure. Richt doesn't have too many options at that position. 43.88% 1283

Massaquoi had one catch for 2 yards in Saturday's rout of Western Kentucky. Raley's one catch was an 18-yard touchdown.

Junior receiver A.J. Bryant (no catches) also has been moved into the starting lineup for Saturday's SEC opener at South Carolina. He replaces Kenneth Harris (one catch, 33 yards).

Bryant has never started a game at Georgia. Raley started one game, in 2003.

"If [Raley and Bryant] perform, they stay in the starting lineup," Eason said. "If they don't, they move down. They have been waiting for this opportunity, and you find out Saturday whether they are going to take advantage of it."

Raley's wait has been the longest. But for the longest time, the effort was not there, coach Mark Richt said.

"No disrespect to him, and I love Mario, but Mario spent more time telling us how good he was gonna do and then he finally started showing us what he was gonna do," Richt said. "And that made all the difference in the world."
The reason he wasn't getting the ball was the QB throwing it to him doesn't have the arm for it. Seems there were no problems last year when Shock was throwing him the ball.

UGA is gonna get CRUSHED Saturday vs. SC.

Other UGA news, Stafford probably has the #2 spot locked down, moving up from hte 3 last week. He may see time in the game Saturday.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 11:27 PM   #4
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Crushed? Crushed?
I suppose I could see them lose to the 'Cocks, but I kinda doubt it.
If the Irish "looked bad" against Ga Tech, Spurrier's crew looked like dog poop v. Miss State.

Re: Notre Dame, btw... all summer long, much was made regarding the Irish weak pass defense, but the only team I saw getting long passing gains were Weis's team. Szmardijia (sp.) was killing the LCB whenever he damn well pleased.

While there wasn't much about the Irish to like, there was even more about the Yellow Jackets to dislike, I believe.

Oh, and let's just remember that while biased, I did begin the Slaton for Heisman campaign. espn is just realizing they slept my boy.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:49 AM   #5
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountaineerDave View Post
Crushed? Crushed?
I suppose I could see them lose to the 'Cocks, but I kinda doubt it.
If the Irish "looked bad" against Ga Tech, Spurrier's crew looked like dog poop v. Miss State.

Dave. It's me. When have you ever known me to be optimistic?
Old 09-08-2006, 07:17 PM   #6
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Defensive effort or offensive struggle? Kyle Wright and Drew Weatherford didn't exactly play their best games- and it wasn't because of either defense.
I tend to agree with Alex. That was just about a carbon copy of last year's lackluster game. If Kyle Wright and Drew Weatherford are two of the top five QBs in the country as I have seen suggested in the media we are in for some horrible football this year.

I honestly did not see anything to suggest that either team is significantly better this season over last and the ACC is going to be a wide open race again this year.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:06 PM   #7
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dunno how may people know oh him, but Erk Russell died earlier today.

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/mld/l...r/15472666.htm

I met him once. Really pleasant guy to be around.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:07 PM   #8
Hawkeye crazy
Sports Enthusiast

Hawkeye crazy is on a distinguished road
Default Drew Tate...

Well, Drew Tate is out for the Iowa-Cuse game. So don't be totally shocked if Iowa loses this game, Tate is a BIG part of this Iowa team and Iowa backup Manson SUCKS.
Hawkeye crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 04:11 PM   #9
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

I wonder if KB is going nuts right now. Akron up by 4 over NC State w/5 min lift.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:40 PM   #10
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Hate to double post, but.....

If he wasn't going crazy before, I bet he was after that finish. Wow what a football game. Gutsy call by the Akron head coach to go for it, but the last thing a coach wants is OT on the road.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:57 AM   #11
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Yeah, I love how Spielman played it up as Akron's coach having no faith in his kicker to tie up the game as opposed to him having all the faith in the world in his offense to punch it in from the one yard line.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 06:13 PM   #12
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

I didn't get to see it. :redhot:

We spent the night before in Atlantic City, and it looked like I'd get home in time to see the second half, but then we had car troubles and I found out about it later.

Well, better they win like that and I miss it than lose when I see it.

CRAZY day of college football. I don't think too many people were expecting Ohio State to just PUMMEL Texas, or Notre Dame, to Penn State. Also, Montana State, fresh off their win over Colorado, loses to D2 Chadron State. So I guess Chadron State is better than the defending Big 12 North Champs.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 12:34 AM   #13
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Same here, Kev. DirecTV never showed up Sat. afternoon to get me hooked up ... due to car (rather, van) trouble, so I didn't have TV at all on Saturday. But I was happy some of the big games were not as close as they could be. And fortunately, next week looks even better!
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 05:17 PM   #14
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

I think LSU and Auburn playing each other this week will be a hot topic:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2587398
Old 09-14-2006, 05:20 PM   #15
eric
Grizzled Veteran

eric is on a distinguished road

I think South Carolina suspending Blake Mitchell will be a huge story this week.
eric is offline   Reply With Quote