Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 09-24-2006, 12:56 AM   #1
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road
Default ND, MSU...wow

Doug, I'm sorry. Hopefully you're not reading this.

Unbelievable. I'm not sure if that was an amazing comeback, or an amazing collapse. Either way, I'm pretty sure I tore my rotator cuff in celebration.

-RB
Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 01:31 AM   #2
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Noon, what happened on the final play? (The ND interception) The way they described it to us in the Stadium was that the MSU guy had it, but while he was on his back, the ND player took it off him. I have no idea what happened, but off that description, they left us thinking "what the hell, if the player had it and is on his back, is he not down?"

Collapse or Comeback, John L Smith is a bad, bad coach. If you're going to get conservative and run the ball when the offense doesn't know how to be conservative, why do you NOT give it Caulcrick who is absolutely smacking fools in the face? I mean, it's just aggravating. Worst loss I've ever attended. The Stanton fumble, the Stanton INT ran back, that damn tipped ball on ANOTHER horrible Brady Quinn pass that Notre Dame winds up with. Aggravating.

EDIT: While I'm on the subject of asking questions about stuff I missed...the offsetting personal fouls...was it justified? I mean, dude took a run at Stanton and was on the Notre Dame sideline, from my vantage, it just looked like Spartans went in there to defend the guy, how did MSU come away with a personal foul also?

Last edited by HibachiDG; 09-24-2006 at 01:40 AM.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 01:50 AM   #3
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

On the final play, a ND player tipped the ball into the guy who eventually wound up with the INT, it bounced off his chest, and onto the back of the MSU player, and then the ND guy landed on him, grabbed the ball and it was an INT.
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 01:57 AM   #4
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Ah, ok. I figured with them not reviewing it, it was something like that, but they didn't tell us that it was on the MSU guys back.

Sportscenter just said about Notre Dame...we'll have more on them later..."as they chase a NATIONAL TITLE" Are you kidding me? Notre Dame should, hopefully, drop in the rankings. They looked awful the entire game.

Last edited by HibachiDG; 09-24-2006 at 02:07 AM.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:07 AM   #5
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty sure I counted the ball bouncing five different times before the ND db got it. One of those Antonio Freeman plays you see about once a decade.

-RB
Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 02:47 AM   #6
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noon View Post
I'm pretty sure I counted the ball bouncing five different times before the ND db got it. One of those Antonio Freeman plays you see about once a decade.
My thoughts exactly. I just wrote that over at M Zone.

It was freakin' Freeman-like. The Freeman clip: http://youtube.com/watch?v=LrS3Giq05yE

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 10:55 AM   #7
Hoosier Daddy
Sports Enthusiast

Hoosier Daddy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Graham View Post
Sportscenter just said about Notre Dame...we'll have more on them later..."as they chase a NATIONAL TITLE" Are you kidding me? Notre Dame should, hopefully, drop in the rankings. They looked awful the entire game.
Winning ugly is still another 'W' in the win column come BCS bid time. We should be on cruise control until the USC matchup November 25th. UCLA might provide a little stumbling block, but we have them at home so I'm pretty sure we'll get by them. If we get out of the USC game with a win I believe we'll have a shot at playing the OSU for the title. Tough loss for your Spartans. They played their butts off and deserve a hell of a lot of respect for the way they played. Good luck the rest of the way.

Tim.
Hoosier Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 03:08 PM   #8
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Good grief. Does a gift wrapped victory still count as a victory? It seemed as if Smith was trying to run clock late in the 3rd quarter, and I was thinking to myself, that will come back and bite him. Bad, bad, coaching.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 04:06 PM   #9
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

MSU still had a chance. On the 3rd and 3 and up by 4 with 3:10ish left...Smith tells Stanton to pass it. That calls for a good grief. You had 43 rushes for 248 yards at that point ( 5.8 per carry) and then you go Pac Ten on everyone and put it in the air...interception...game over.

Passing = Evil.

Last edited by buckeyefan78; 09-24-2006 at 05:38 PM.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 06:50 PM   #10
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Well, Smith's conservative play calling might have been nuts, but what was worse, was that it wasn't Caulcrick that he was giving the ball to. Hey, he's going for 10 a pop and Notre Dame can not tackle him, let's NOT give him the ball? Made no sense.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:01 PM   #11
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Doug, have you dried out yet? The rain, especially for a time in the 3rd when Quinn couldn't hold the ball from center, looked downright bone-drenching.

When the game was over I sat for several minutes slackjawed and incredulous, but overall happy. Not because ND had won, but because BC had lost to awful NC State. That made me pretty damn happy.

Then I played NCAA 2005 (no, I haven't upgraded in a while, and I have no plans to do so) for a couple hours.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:18 PM   #12
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Notre Dame has no business playing for the MNC. Texas and LSU are both better one loss teams right now.

Yet another inexplicable loss for Michigan State. That annual collapse might start before the Michigan game this year. The entire time MSU kept pulling ahead big I couldn't help but think that they would find a way to blow it. They are incapable of winning the big game. And when they do (see Wisconsin '04), they end up finding a way to disappoint themselves soon after (37-13 loss to 4-7 and offensively challenged Penn State following said big win).
Old 09-24-2006, 07:35 PM   #13
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountaineerDave View Post
Doug, have you dried out yet? The rain, especially for a time in the 3rd when Quinn couldn't hold the ball from center, looked downright bone-drenching.
The rain was nuts. Just coming down hard in the 3rd quarter, the wind going wild, the temperature not being bad all day and dropping ridiculously in 5 minutes time. Definitely the hardest rain at a football game I've been at.

The most hilarious part of the rain was that the MSU basketball team was sitting right near our section and bailed right when the rain started to come down.