Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 11-07-2006, 01:38 PM   #1
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road
Default Election Day

Political opinions to the forefront, today is election day and we all have the opportunity to exercise our right to vote.

If you voted, who'd you vote for? What races are you most likely to follow today?

I voted last week with an absentee ballot for PA...Voted for Bob Casey Jr for senate...mainly because I dislike Santorum a whole lot. I did not vote for Casey in the primary, but I think he'll be fine. Voted for Ed Rendell as Governor, which was an easy thing to do. Lynn Swann seems a nice enough guy and I hope he runs for something like Congress in a Republican district in a couple of years. On my local races, I voted for a couple of democratic candidates that I don't know a whole lot about, but my dad has done some work for and my mother says the one lady is nice, so, hey, she can go to the statehouse. Had a ballot referendum asking if the Commonwealth should be indebted 20million to pay some bonus checks to veterans of the first Gulf War. Said no to that.

Michigan has some interesting ballot options, as voters are voting on eminent domain, affirmative action and dove hunting.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 01:57 PM   #2
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

I usually don't vote straight party lines, and although I am a registered Republican, I voted this morning for incumbent democrat Bill Nelson for U.S. Senate over that icky shrew Katherine Harris.

Just a story about Harris (yes THAT Harris of the controversial 2000 presidential election) I have met her several times, but one of the last times was in August 2004 after Hurricane Charley hit our area. Now let me tell you, the town I worked in at the time was absolutely devastated - houses and commercial buildings destroyed, huge, stately oak trees splintered and in the middle of roads, no power, no water, you get the picture. I show up at my bank to help out, everyone is in jeans and t-shirts, giving out supplies and water, and here is Harris, wearing a business suit, full makeup, shaking hands, politicing!!! I felt like telling her: "B***h, time to help your constituents, get your hands dirty & get to work!"
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 02:01 PM   #3
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedon1970
I felt like telling her: "B***h, time to help your constituents, get your hands dirty & get to work!"
Then, fists were flying, clothes were being torn and the audience was yelling "JERRY!! JERRY!! JERRY!!"

I am getting ready to go vote. Wish me luck!
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 02:03 PM   #4
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobynosker View Post
Then, fists were flying, clothes were being torn and the audience was yelling "JERRY!! JERRY!! JERRY!!"

I am getting ready to go vote. Wish me luck!
:lol: :lol: I tell ya, I was seething so much, it came pretty close to that scenario, Toby!

Good Luck!!!:thumbup:
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:05 PM   #5
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

I voted this morning and did not vote a straight party ticket, as I usually do not.
I'm not sure how the results will turn out here in Iowa, but the weather is great and most of the harvest is in, so farmers will be able to come to town and vote. The weather is supposed to be very nice for the rest of the week, so those farmers that are not done with their harvest should be able to get it done after today's vote.
I encourage everyone to vote for the candidates that they feel will represent their interests best and not be swayed by the negative campaigns that both parties are running.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:07 PM   #6
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

I voted for three Democrats, three Republicans and one Libertarian.

On a national scale, I voted for Incumbent Jerry Moran (R) to continue to serve in the United States Congress and represent the first district of Kansas, while I also voted for Incumbent Kathleen Sebelius (D) to continue to serve as governor of Kansas.

The most highly contested race in the state has been for the attorney general seat, and I voted for Democrat Paul Morrison to unseat Republican Incumbent Phil Kline.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:14 PM   #7
IntheNet
Hall of Famer

IntheNet is on a distinguished road

I voted straight Republican because I think they've all done a good job... local ballot inititives wanted to take more money from me via higher taxes and I said no way... They also wanted to define marriage strangely and I said no way. Then they gave me some sticker and I told them where to put it... Some broad asked me on the way out how I voted and I told her where to shove it... So much negativism...
Old 11-07-2006, 03:17 PM   #8
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

But, won't it be tough for the broad to shove it, with the sticker already placed in that particular region?
Old 11-07-2006, 04:40 PM   #9
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

State candidates...blah. Didn't vote for any of 'em. I almost went Green for governor but nah. Only voted for 2 local candidates. Did vote for most of my local issues. We had some state issues too...

Issue 1: Didn't vote on it.

Issue 2 (Increase Min. Wage): Yes

Issue 3 (Gambling and Education): No

Issue 4 (Restricts Smoking in certain places): Yes

Issue 5: (Restricts Smoking in public places): No
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 11:04 PM   #10
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

Wow, the Democrats are making a huge run. It looks like they have a chance of taking the Senate and House.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 01:10 AM   #11
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Not necessarily a huge run. They seem to have taken control of the House, but not certain they will win the Senate.
In a side-note, there was a local race in which $6M was spent in total during the campaign.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 01:23 AM   #12
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

It's going to be damn close, though. Webb apparently pulled ahead of Allen late. FOX is calling it for Webb, it seems, putting the democrats at 49. But, I mean, recounts and lawyerin'-up is forthcoming as that one was seperated by something like 2500 votes. Missouri, Talent leads now, apparently a lot of the areas where McCaskill is expected to be strong have not reported, yet.

So, a lot could still happen.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 02:41 AM   #13
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Dems, as I write this, need to win all three Senate races still contested to take a majority there. But, even if they win just one of the three, they will have a de facto majority with the two Independents voting Dem on most issues (notable exception being Lieberman on Iraq votes).

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:43 AM   #14
LA sports
I love LA!

LA sports is on a distinguished road

Voted Republican across the board except for one American Independent. Republicans winning almost everything in California including Gov, Lt. Gov & Secretary of State as well as insurance commissioner. Diane Frankenstein will of course win again though and the dems have done very well nationally so congrats to all the liberals. I hope the two parties can work together and be effective, but I doubt it.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:30 AM   #15
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Graham
FOX is calling it for Webb, it seems, putting the democrats at 49. But, I mean, recounts and lawyerin'-up is forthcoming as that one was seperated by something like 2500 votes.
One of the county commission races here locally resulted in the Incumbent receiving 508 votes, and the challenger receiving 506 votes.

Who thinks a recount is going to be demanded in this case?