Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 02:21 AM   #1
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough
Default Down the Stretch they Come -- Thoughts of the day for September

Playoff fever is in the air. Who are the contenders? Who are the pretenders?

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:42 PM   #2
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

The Brewers are pretenders. They'll come apart down the stretch. The Mets and Phillies will both get into the playoffs.

Do I have a lack of respect for the NL Central? Absolutely. But, that's a product of the team I follow the most, Phillies, always doing well against the Central. 23-16 this season and solid in recent years. Including 4-3 against the Cubs where all 3 losses were close and late. The Phillies had leads in all 3 of those losses. Two of them they lost in the 8th, one they lost in 6th. The Phillies are +9 in run differential against the Cubs and in the wins did not particularly struggle.

The Mets and Phillies going into yesterday had 7 games with the Brewers. I expect the Brewers to win 2 of the games. The Mets took game 1.

Now, if the Phillies could just beat the Nationals...
Old 09-02-2008, 02:32 PM   #3
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

If the Rays make it to the post season they will have earned it. 16 of the last 26 games are against playoff contending teams. 6 v. Boston, 6 v. Yanks, 4 v.Twins.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:38 PM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Are the Yanks really a playoff contender any more? Being 7 out with 25 to go they are basically playing for pride right now. Tampa, Boston, Chicago and/or Minnesota would have to collapse for the Yanks to even sniff the postseason.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
Old 09-02-2008, 03:05 PM   #5
themush
Banned

I know the Yanks are on the outside looking in but, they are still being mentioned with the others.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:40 PM   #6
The Irish
Mr. Cellophane

The Irish is on a distinguished road

I think they are still being mentioned because of their name. They are decent at best.

They say the best weapon is one you never have to fire. I, respectfully, disagree. I say the best weapon is one you only have to fire once! That's how dad did it, that's how America does it, and it's worked out pretty well so far. - Tony Stark
Old 09-03-2008, 01:53 AM   #7
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Cubs have lost 4 in a row, but I wouldn't put them into the Pretenders column.

Ok, that didn't fit much, but AL talk is so boring.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:17 AM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I suspect the Cubs are losing their focus a bit since they have such a comfortable lead right now and the Brewers and Cards are doing nothing to put any pressure on them to keep winning.

However, the Cubs could be in a spot of trouble come October if Zambrano cannot get his arm right in time for the playoffs. Them being such heavy favorites revolves around the fact that Ryan Dempster is better than everyone else's #3 starter in the NL. If they have to go with Lily or Marquis in the 3-spot that brings their rotation back to the pack a bit.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:08 PM   #9
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

A lot of guys on that Cubs team have been overachieving this year as well. I know they've been the best team in the NL so far this year, but I think that's definitely a beatable team come the playoffs. Just a matter of who gets in to play them. The Mets and Phillies both won yesterday, so the Mets are showing that they're not going to have a collapse like last season, fortunately the Phillies are in a better position.

Both have games tonight, day off and then face each other for 3 of the biggest games of the season for each team. Phillies have not been bumping Hamels up in the rotation on his normal rest because of off days. They should strongly consider doing that to keep him out there Sunday against the Mets.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:30 PM   #10
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

The Mets have one thing they did not have last season -- Johan Santana. He will not let anyone around him give up on the season. Luis Ayala has been a very pleasant surprise for them at the end of the game. They still need to get the ball to him, however. That is the weakness of the Mets' team, and something they will need to address this off-season if they want to advance past the first round of the playoffs (providing that they make it at all).

Catman
Old 09-03-2008, 01:32 PM   #11
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

As to the Cubs, if Zambrano is right, they will be very tough to beat in the playoffs. Harden is a very good starter and Dempster has done a nice job in the #3 slot.

Catman
Old 09-03-2008, 02:05 PM   #12
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I don't think the Mets stand a realistic chance of any kind of a playoff run unless they get Wagner back at full strength.

I would also like their chances a bit better if John Maine were healthy though. Oliver Perez has always been a bit of a wild card and Pedro is in that territory now as well. Mike Pelfrey has been great for them but his previous career high in innings was 152 and he is already at 169 so there is no telling how he is going to hold up the rest of the year. He could hit a wall in another week or two.

The thing that would worry me just a bit if I am the Cubs is their two key setup guys Marmol and Samardzija are unproven in the postseason and Wood has yet to prove he can close out big games when it matters the most.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:59 PM   #13
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Well, they're 3 up now with 3 against the Phillies, if they win 2 out of 3, I think they'll win the division. The Phillies do not seem to have that same fire as they had last season and seem to be in this mood of waiting for the wins to come to them. They're not going to have a run like last season where they beat the Mets as much as they did. They've got to go out and handle their business more. The bright side, Howard hit two homers last night, so maybe he'll put the team on his back for the next couple of weeks.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:43 PM   #14
themush
Banned

Well the Rays seem to be ready for one of the biggest collapses in recent memory.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:30 PM   #15
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by themush View Post
Well the Rays seem to be ready for one of the biggest collapses in recent memory.

Just gettin' a case of the nerves or what, Mush?