Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 12-07-2008, 10:15 PM   #1
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about
Default BCS Selection Show

I guess no one saw it huh?
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:28 AM   #2
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

FOX generally doesn't do a good job with their programs such as these. Probably a lot of commercials to create drama for matchups we pretty much knew and Barry Switzer saying at least two things silly.

So, not much point watching when the matchups are confirmed on the internet like five minutes later.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:00 AM   #3
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

I think it's probably the best slate of bowls we've had in several years. We get a real Rose Bowl, and including that game, two other huge bowls...a Texas/Ohio State tiebreaker (if they blow us out badly enough they might be able to squeeze their way into an AP title...probably doubtful but possible I think) and of course, the Florida/Oklahoma game which will be entertaining if OU continues to tackle at an average level.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:22 AM   #4
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Texas got jobbed.

Final SOS...

Texas - #12
Florida - #18

So for only the 2nd time in BCS history a team with a lower SOS vying with another 1 loss or 2 loss team for a shot at the BCS CG got in. And of course, the last time it happened was 2006 with Florida.

Michigan - #12
Florida - #17

What a f'n stat that it was actually almost the same exact SOS.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:56 AM   #5
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard the Lionheart View Post
I think it's probably the best slate of bowls we've had in several years. We get a real Rose Bowl, and including that game, two other huge bowls...a Texas/Ohio State tiebreaker (if they blow us out badly enough they might be able to squeeze their way into an AP title...probably doubtful but possible I think) and of course, the Florida/Oklahoma game which will be entertaining if OU continues to tackle at an average level.

I like the Ohio State/Texas game, because I think Ohio State will be able to give them a solid game. They were able to shut down a Penn State offense that really has only been shut down by Ohio State and the Iowa City wind. So, I think they should be able to stay in the game against Texas with their defense and with tons of time to prepare, I think offensively they'll be better.

But, I think the Big Ten is going to be solid across the board, so I might be wrong on that. I don't know, I like MSU and Iowa's chances against Georgia and South Carolina as well, I like the Big Ten in comparison to the other conferences more this year than the recent past.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:35 PM   #6
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I disagree.

As I stated before, Texas got jobbed. And not only did they got jobbed but now they have to play Ohio State...a vastly inferior opponent. If they win, no big deal. They have no chance to prove themselves. I really wish Texas would have got Utah (if you had to job them) and Bama-Ohio State...if you had to put OSU in the BCS.

USC-Penn State is technically a legit Rose Bowl but it still feels weird having PSU in there simply because they have made the trek only once before since joining the conference in the early 90s.

If I had to place 'em...

BCS CG: Texas vs. Oklahoma (clearly the two most deserving teams)
Rose Bowl: Penn State vs. USC
Sugar Bowl: Florida vs. Utah
Fiesta Bowl: Alabama vs. Boise State
Orange Bowl: Cincinnati vs. Virginia Tech

The minor bowls have some intriguing matchups but the bad economy forced many bowls to pick local teams over better teams. Georgia Tech, #3 in the ACC, has to play LSU which finished tied for #7 in the SEC. And to top it off, the ACC was clearly better than the SEC this year. Jackets got jobbed but the game will be in their hometown.

Games I do like...

Boise-TCU

Florida State-Wisconsin

BYU-Arizona

Ole Miss-Texas Tech...which is technically a #4 vs. a #4 so I'm going to enjoy the thrashing by the Red Raiders

The Big Ten is in big trouble.

Penn State and Ohio State are clearly facing superior opponents in the BCS bowls. Michigan State vs. Georgia is one I think we can handle. Iowa-South Carolina will be close as well. Minnesota playing Kansas is bad news for us. I don't think we have much of a chance there. Wisconsin-Florida State is really a toss-up. NWestern-Missouri isn't going to be pretty IMO. The Cats simply don't have the depth in the secondary to hang with the Tigers.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:02 AM   #7
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

I've had a sneaking suspicion all year that the Big 12 is a little overrated. We'll see in January.

I supported Florida getting the nod in '06 and do so again this year. I disagree with the system as you do, but since it is in place, I don't think it's advantageous to have two teams from the same conference in the "title" game. While I think Texas should be the team coming out of of the Big 12, I think Florida "deserves" to be there playing them. Texas already proved their superiority to Oklahoma on the field this season, and should not have to do so again in this contrived game. At least make it interesting and have two conferences going head to head here. Is it unfair? Yep. Is it not how the system is supposed to be? Absolutely, but I don't give a crap about the system so I don't really care. Fans like us are the ones getting screwed by this system (as opposed to the old bowl system), at least give us the most interesting match-up possible as far as I'm concerned.

In 2006 lots of people wanted Michigan. I made the argument that it is possible the SEC was vastly superior to the Big 10 that year and one loss in that conference was as much of a claim as OSU's no losses and UM's one loss, despite their better SOS stat. That turned out to be the case. Florida was, if not the best team in the country that year, at the very least a better team than Ohio State. I think we may be seeing the same thing happen to the Big 12 this year, even though the SEC is down a bit as well and there seems to be a realignment going on.

This is the second year in a row where there is no deserving sole national champion, and if I were an AP voter I would purposely give my first place vote to Texas if they beat Ohio State, regardless of what happens in the OU-UF game.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:10 AM   #8
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
I've had a sneaking suspicion all year that the Big 12 is a little overrated. We'll see in January.
I feel the same way, but temper it with a couple of things...I Felt the same way last season, then Missouri and Kansas both won their Bowl Games. Texas Tech's defense seems markedly improved from previous seasons and it's not just the teams looking for a gimmicky offense that are up.

They said during the SEC Title game that Tebow made some remarks about wanting to throw against the Big 12 Ds all season. I think it'll be a pretty interesting matchup.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:54 AM   #9
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

The thing about the Big 12 is OU is the only team that has any wins worth getting excited about: TCU and Cincy. The rest of the conference either lost to the best out of conference opponent it had or they did not play anyone of note.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:49 PM   #10
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
The thing about the Big 12 is OU is the only team that has any wins worth getting excited about: TCU and Cincy. The rest of the conference either lost to the best out of conference opponent it had or they did not play anyone of note.
Problem is this applies to every conference except the ACC.

Check this chart out...

Home wins vs. bowl-bound teams/road wins vs. bowl-bound teams/neutral site wins vs. bowl-bound teams/total wins vs. bowl-bound teams

SEC: 11 home, 1 road, 1 neutral = 13
Big 12: 12 home, 1 road, 1 neutral = 14
ACC: 8 home, 5 road, 0 neutral = 13

All 3 conferences played 48 non-conf games. Another stat proving the ACC was better than the SEC this year. Overall, the Big 12's wins were better than the SEC's as well even if the numbers were similar. Without Florida's wins over FSU, Miami, Hawaii and Bama's win vs. Clemson the list for the SEC would be absolutely horrendous. Like I said before, the SEC has 2 teams (UF and to a lesser extent Bama) but after that...pure garbage.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:54 AM   #11
apostille
Rookie Player

apostille is on a distinguished road
Default BCS Selection Show

What a sham.

They are acting like the teams get pulled out like lottery balls at 6:58 right before the latest episode of Wheel of Fortune.

The only amusing thing is to watch Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer sit next to each other.

No surprises - Oklahoma vs. Florida in the title game. Orange Bowl has Virginia Tech against Cincinnati. Rose Bowl has USC vs. Penn State. Sugar Bowl is Utah vs. Alabama, and the Fiesta Bowl is Texas vs. Ohio State.
apostille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:54 PM   #12
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

^

I'd rather have silence than scary s-hit like this.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:07 PM   #13
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
^

I'd rather have silence than scary s-hit like this.
:stupid:

Holy four-month delay...
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:02 PM   #14
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Default My Predictions for the BCS Games

Sugar Bowl: Utah vs. Alabama
Call me crazy, but I see the Utes pulling this one out. 31-17

Fiesta Bowl: Ohio State vs. Texas
Maybe it's the homer in me. But I see the Buckeyes playing the Horns tight. They might even have a lead late in the game before McCoy does his usual heroics. 24-21

Orange Bowl: Virginia Tech vs. Cinncinnatti

Cincy is outmatched here. Gimme...say..a 20-7 rout that isn't as close as the score suggests.

USC has too much for Paterno and the boys. This one might get ugly. 38-24

BCS Game: Florida vs. Oklahoma

Florida is the more complete team here. 24-14
Old 04-07-2009, 09:05 PM   #15
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Sugar Bowl: Utah vs. Alabama
Call me crazy, but I see the Utes pulling this one out. 31-17

Fiesta Bowl: Ohio State vs. Texas
Maybe it's the homer in me. But I see the Buckeyes playing the Horns tight. They might even have a lead late in the game before McCoy does his usual heroics. 24-21

Orange Bowl: Virginia Tech vs. Cinncinnatti

Cincy is outmatched here. Gimme...say..a 20-7 rout that isn't as close as the score suggests.

USC has too much for Paterno and the boys. This one might get ugly. 38-24

BCS Game: Florida vs. Oklahoma

Florida is the more complete team here. 24-14
Interesting.

Any call on the Super Bowl?