Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Hockey

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2001, 09:36 AM   #1
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road
Question

Why don't Americans like hockey?... well, at least, that's the stereotype that most of you don't like hockey.

Well, first of all, I guess baseball is the tradition in America, just like hockey is a tradition in Canada. However, you would think that with more NHL teams than Canada (and more money to make those teams run), as well as some states (e.g.: Texas!) having more professional hockey teams than ALL OF CANADA, that Americans would start enjoying hockey a bit more.

But no.

In "The Sports Source's" Year in Review issue, there was not a SINGLE MENTION of hockey -- believe me -- I looked through EVERY SINGLE PAGE. Not a picture of a hockey player. Not even the word "hockey," unlessed I missed them making fun of it or something.

Why is this!? Tell me!

Here's my theory: I bet the only highlight that made it to an American sports newscast (unless it was a local newscast, showing a local team) was of Owen Nolan (SJS) cheap-shotting a Dallas Star that hit him from behind earlier in the game.

To clear the dust: that's not what hockey is all about. If you think that cheap shots from behind and fighting is what hockey is all about, it's like saying that brawls at the mound in baseball is what baseball is ALL about.

I watched have more than a few 4-quarter basketball and football games, full 9-inning baseball games, and a complete 6 consecutive hours of golf during the British Open last year, but how many of you have actually watched a full 3, 20-minute period hockey game? I wouldn't be surprised if some of you "sports fanatics" haven't, and if you have, then why haven't you been posting on this board!?

Please just answer my question posted in the subject of this thread, because it is really bothering me that hockey isn't taking off down there.

Anyone can play basketball or football or baseball or golf (though some may not play very well), but hockey requires the special art of skating on a nearly frictionless ice surface. If you can't skate, you can't play. Anyone can run or walk! -- hockey is special.
Old 02-02-2001, 11:51 PM   #2
iFroggy
Sports Virtuoso

iFroggy is on a distinguished road

I don't have anything against Hockey, Lee. I just don't really watch it, it just doesn't interest me. Why? I don't know.
Old 02-03-2001, 09:41 AM   #3
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Same here. I don't really have anything against hockey, either, it just doesn't spark my interest. Why? Maybe because it's more difficult to be able to play - you have to go to a skating rink everytime you want to play - with like basketball, you can just go out on your drive way and play.

It's not like hockey is totally ignored in the states. My high school has a hockey team and everything, but it isn't as big as football or basketball.
Old 02-03-2001, 10:12 AM   #4
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by M. James
Same here. I don't really have anything against hockey, either, it just doesn't spark my interest. Why? Maybe because it's more difficult to be able to play - you have to go to a skating rink everytime you want to play - with like basketball, you can just go out on your drive way and play.

It's not like hockey is totally ignored in the states. My high school has a hockey team and everything, but it isn't as big as football or basketball.
I see... interesting... but the fact that you mention it is more difficult to play -- well, that should spark more interest at the pro level (to watch it, I mean).

...but to say you can't "just go out on your drive way and play" is considerably incorrect. In everytown in Canada at any time in winter, I am sure you could find at least one hockey game being played in the middle of the street, or someone practicing his wrist shot or something... I however think that's a little too cold play a lot of hockey in SUMMER... a puck, ball, stick, and net is all you need -- you don't need a rink to practice your shot skills.

...if you feel you NEED a rink for hockey, though, I'm sure you could find at least one of those in every town up here! We even made one a few years ago... it wasn't 100% smooth, but it was suitable enough.
Old 02-03-2001, 10:21 AM   #5
ppsprotec
Sports Enthusiast

ppsprotec is on a distinguished road
Talking hockey,love it or leave it.

Growing up in Canada,after school,we would get together to play street hockey.Only the select few of us,who could skate at an advanced level,would play ice hockey.But everybody played street hockey.In school we would organize a tourniment between streets and get $30 or$50 from a local busness for t-shirts.We were raised with hockey in our blood.For much of the USA ,hockey is still a verry new sport.The younger generations in the USA are growing with a much higher expouser to hockey,it will grow with them and they will grow with it,as for the older generations,it`s hard to teach an old dog new tricks.I think the USA media are the ones to convince that Hockey IS the greatest sport on earth.PPS.
Old 02-03-2001, 11:19 AM   #6
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Default Re: hockey,love it or leave it.

Quote:
Originally posted by ppsprotec
The younger generations in the USA are growing with a much higher expouser to hockey,it will grow with them and they will grow with it,as for the older generations,it`s hard to teach an old dog new tricks.I think the USA media are the ones to convince that Hockey IS the greatest sport on earth.PPS.
Good points -- ESPN2 recently broadcasted something like six or seven consecutive Pittsburgh Penguins games upon Mario Lemieu'x return.

However, if the US media is to teach that hockey is one of the greatest sports, they had better START, because, as I said, that "year in review" issue of the "Sports Source" didn't contain a single mention of the NHL.
Old 02-03-2001, 05:04 PM   #7
Rick Dogg
All-Star Player

Rick Dogg is on a distinguished road

We Americans love to score. Wait a minute, let me rephrase that...We Americans like high scoring games. That sounded a little better. High scores keep us intersested in the games. That is why America absolutely detests soccer.

--Captain Hook
Old 02-03-2001, 07:00 PM   #8
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Reighard
We Americans like high scoring games. That sounded a little better. High scores keep us intersested in the games. That is why America absolutely detests soccer.
...so I guess your point is that America absolutely detests soccer AND hockey, which you did not metion, BTW.

The NHL had increased scoring from 1999 to 2000, as they removed the "skate in the crease" rule.

This year, the NHL is averaging around a goal or two more per game than last year at this time.

What more do you want!? -- is BASEALL high scoring!?... (well, if you don't include last year) No, so that's not much of an excuse.
Old 02-03-2001, 07:43 PM   #9
Rick Dogg
All-Star Player

Actually Baseball is generally high scoring. Some games are real high scoring and some, there is no scoring. Baseball has a lot more scoring and the home run also keeps us interested. Also,Americans have grown up with baseball and played it as kids. Hockey is just beginning to enter the USA.

--Captain Hook
Old 02-03-2001, 08:25 PM   #10
Wedge231
Fan of Struggling Teams

Wedge231 is on a distinguished road

I am American and watch hockey. I watch the Rangers as much as I can but find it less and less interesting as of late however (must be the team).

I'm Back After 5 Months
Old 02-04-2001, 12:19 AM   #11
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Yeah, Chris -- choose a better team if winning is what you need to keep interested!... actually, I've never seen the Rangers play this year. A REAL good match-up is the Maple Leafs and Sabres -- you should probably be able to get a broadcast of that if you live in the New York area, shouldn't you?

Avs vs. Detroit... you want high scoring? -- watch the Kings (although they were ODDLY on a 2.5 game being shutout streak recently.. but then they came back and shutout the other team 8-0 after that slide)

Rick, do you have actual stats of how many runs per game there were last year in MLB? -- or a good guess? between two teams, the NHL is averaging 5.3366 goals per game, if I did my claculations correct (what I did was add all the teams' goals for, and divided it by half the number of games played between ALL NHL teams -- does that sound right?)
Old 02-04-2001, 02:57 AM   #12
Rick Dogg
All-Star Player

I am sure baseball is much higher than 5 runs a game. Especially with the rescent softball scores we have been getting.

--Captain Hook
Old 02-04-2001, 09:54 AM   #13
BTRoots
Grizzled Veteran

BTRoots is on a distinguished road
Talking

Thanks for trying Lee (re:email) - Lots of hockey fans in Colorado this weekend what with the All Star Game upcoming today. Spoke with an avid hockey fan from Aspen. No lack of hockey fans there. As a Canadian, I think Mr. Bettman, in his zeal and quest to remove hockey from being a Canadian game before America's game, neglects to realize that ice hockey (5:24 am here and am just listening to sports central) is not condusive to West/South States. Too warm. Even Nashville, with Dolly haven given a welcoming party for its new team, has reported a dwindling number of fans. As some have posted, I suppose we should give them time. How much time? Well, the world's largest glacier is receding at a rapid pace. But, no Canadian, Mid/Eastern, South of the 49th winter coming any time soon to the expansion teams. It would help this board if its founder would recognize that hockey is played year round in Canada. Roller hockey, street hockey,ice hockey. Easy enough to mark a net with a couple of sticks, skates replaced with a pair of runners, or bare feet (for the toughest), a broom for a stick and anything that can be swatted for a puck. You don't need a round net, hanging off a wall to play. Just as easy for sure. No excuse. The bottom line is that a man of erroneous vision is trying make a game indigenous to a country that is not interested, while removing the game from a country that thrives on it. I still ask ... Who knows what the Stanley Cup really is?

Old 02-04-2001, 10:24 AM   #14
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

good points, I made a few that you did, but you greatly elaborated on them, CanFan.

My family has friends that have younger kinds than I, and they have an open-air garage, so in the winter, we always take turns playing goal in their garage and take shots on each other.

In the summer, we do the same thing on their lawn, but we use pails, or something, as goal posts for one team, and the other team gets the actual net, and play a little 3-on-3 -- mighty fun!
Old 02-04-2001, 11:11 AM   #15
BTRoots
Grizzled Veteran

BTRoots is on a distinguished road
Cool

Hi Lee - the toughest in central Canada make the posts outside the garage.

By the way, I still haven't received any answer as to if anyone south of the border (or north for that matter) knows what the SC really means. Just a thought.

[Edited by SC-Lee on 02-04-2001 at 10:34 AM]
Closed Thread