Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 10-15-2004, 04:11 AM   #1
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road
Post Butch Davis Blasts "Skittish" Garcia

One day after Cleveland's 34-23 loss at Pittsburgh, Browns head coach Butch Davis - who seems to have one foot planted permanently in his mouth and the other one inserted in his brain - characterized quarterback Jeff Garcia as having been "skittish" during the game. Then, on Wednesday, came Garcia's reaction.

What's next - Davis cutting Garcia because Garcia can't block?

And - as if almost on cue - the Browns host the Eagles next week.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 06:18 AM   #2
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Ya got me on that one, Anthony. Garcia sounds like he was just being defensive about a comment taken out of context & then both of them realized the point that was being made & laughed it off.

I agree with Davis cuz it's true & I believe Garcia admits to be exactly that...skittish. Understandably so but nonetheless, leaving the pocket too soon cuz of protection breakdowns. If Davis had attacked his heart or courage, I would have taken that differently but he didn't.

So I don't see how Davis was out of line at all.....
Old 10-15-2004, 12:23 PM   #3
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Garcia has always been skittish. The O line could give him seven to eight seconds, and unless the routes are completely uncovered, he'd find reason to scramble around and screw things up.

Dave
Old 10-15-2004, 06:37 PM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I'd be skittish too having to play chuck-and-duck behind that offensive line. I don't know how fair it is to label him as generally skittish as he never had much of a line in front of him in SF either. The guy took a pounding in San Fran and is taking one in Cleveland.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 06:56 PM   #5
Habs Fan
Gary Bettman Must Go

Habs Fan is on a distinguished road

Imagine how Lee Suggs must feel ??????? Davis is the only one skitish in Cleveland. Why the hell does he insist on making William Green the starter? The pattern seems to be Green for a carry or two followed by an onslaught of Suggs.

If Davis wasn't such an idiot, he'd deal Green, start Suggs and end all this nonsense.

Favorite Teams: NHL - Canadiens .... NBA - Spurs .... MLB - Jays .... NFL - Cowboys
Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 12:34 AM   #6
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I don't know does it really matter when Green has had only seven carries the last two games and Suggs has had 33? Suggs may not have started, but he still ended up with over 80% of the carries the last two weeks.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 01:47 AM   #7
Habs Fan
Gary Bettman Must Go

Habs Fan is on a distinguished road

Yes it does doublee ..... I mean he either is afraid of hurting Green's feelings or he has serious delusions about his backfield situation. He continues to talk of a great 1-2 punch in the backfield which would be fine ...... if he was coaching a more well-rounded team.

Let's face it .... aside from Garcia, Suggs, Green, and maybe Andre Davis ..... there's not alot of talent in the Dog Pound. Why not get rid of Green via a trade and get something that might help the team. I mean, Miami still doesn't have a starter at RB yet and they could do a lot worse than Green. Maybe they could work out a deal for a WR ....... by offering Green and a little more they might get Booker who, up until last week's game didn't even appear to be in the team's offensive game plans this season.

By moving Green, the organization would be sending a very cleaar message to the highly talented Suggs .... namely that he is the team's top RB.

Favorite Teams: NHL - Canadiens .... NBA - Spurs .... MLB - Jays .... NFL - Cowboys
Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 02:38 AM   #8
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Interestingly, about a decade ago there was an NFL head coach who was behaving about the same way Davis is now. It was Bill Belichick - and we've all seen how that has turned out.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote