Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge > Politics & Religion

Old 06-22-2007, 11:43 AM   #1
DETMURDS
Detroit Native!

DETMURDS has a little shameless behavior in the past
Default Censorship In The Usa

Sens. Hillary Clinton and Barbara Boxer have big plans to rein in conservative radio talk shows, according to Sen. James Inhofe, R-Okla.

He said Thursday on John Ziegler's evening radio show on KFI in L.A. that he overheard Clinton, D-N.Y., and Boxer, D-Calif., saying they want legislation to control conservative radio talk shows.

THIS CANNOT BE ALLOWED,...WE ARE NOT THE FORMER SOVIET UNION, CHINA, OR CUBA!

Meanwhile, the far left owns the rest of all MEDIA,....hypocrisy big time!
DETMURDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 11:54 AM   #2
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

I heard this being discussed on KOA (it comes on after my local station signs off) last night on my way home from work. I would not be a bit surprised to see it happen, as the left's attempt at talk radio -- "Air America" was a financial disaster.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 12:13 PM   #3
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

I actually agree with you guys on this. For some reason Liberal talk radio has never worked. I have several theories why, but that is for another thread.

At any rate, there should not be legislation to force liberal thoughts over the air waves. If conservative talk radio sells, and liberal talk does not, so be it. It's the same with comedians. How many conservative comedians can you think of? Liberal comedy seems to work better. Does that mean we should be forced to see conservative comedians just in the name of fairness? The answer is no.

I condemn any Democrat or liberal who supports such legislation. Grow up and find another outlet...

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 10:05 PM   #4
DETMURDS
Detroit Native!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post
I actually agree with you guys on this. For some reason Liberal talk radio has never worked. I have several theories why, but that is for another thread.

At any rate, there should not be legislation to force liberal thoughts over the air waves. If conservative talk radio sells, and liberal talk does not, so be it. It's the same with comedians. How many conservative comedians can you think of? Liberal comedy seems to work better. Does that mean we should be forced to see conservative comedians just in the name of fairness? The answer is no.

I condemn any Democrat or liberal who supports such legislation. Grow up and find another outlet...
CK, the libs had a radio network that did this,...it failed,...it was called Air America,...which Al Franken was a big part of. Problem is, why listen to the radio for the left's view when you can just watch, and read every other standpoint of media out there? I see this as a case where the left supporters are not truly supporters,..they simply just believe what the networks and papers are cramming down thier throats!:thumbdown: Again, Air America failed badly and the dems, left, and libs are mad and want the right wing radio (which has great support) to go away like the Jews in Nazi Germany!

I am very suprised you didn't already know this like a true left-wing does?
Old 06-23-2007, 11:10 AM   #5
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETMURDS View Post
CK, the libs had a radio network that did this,...it failed,...it was called Air America,...which Al Franken was a big part of. Problem is, why listen to the radio for the left's view when you can just watch, and read every other standpoint of media out there? I see this as a case where the left supporters are not truly supporters,..they simply just believe what the networks and papers are cramming down thier throats!:thumbdown: Again, Air America failed badly and the dems, left, and libs are mad and want the right wing radio (which has great support) to go away like the Jews in Nazi Germany!

I am very suprised you didn't already know this like a true left-wing does?
What the **** are you talking about? Did you read my post? I SAID I AGREE WITH YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

DETMURDS, you need to learn when to relax and be more agreeable.

Think Fresh.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:12 AM   #6
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

I know about Air America, jesus ****ing christ, what is wrong with you DETMURDS?

I have a theory on why liberal radio doesn't work, but I was just going to let this thread go hpefully with agreement, but apparently you can't even tell when I agree with you.

Quote:
This line was aimed at Democrats. I was saying, "if talk radio doesn't work for you, find another outlet."

Think Fresh.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:13 PM   #7
Montrovant
Hatecarver

Montrovant is on a distinguished road

I have a couple of points to bring up about this.

First, from what I've read, the two women have denied this occurred. At this point, all I've seen is one republican senator accusing two democratic senators, each side saying the other is wrong or lying. At this point it doesn't sound like anything to get upset over, who knows what the truth is?

Second, even if this is true, exactly what rationale would be used to somehow legislate conservative radio? I'm not saying it isn't possible, but I would think there needs to be at least the illusion of sound reasoning to get any legislation passed. I have heard nothing about how the democratic senators might attempt to do this.

Until more information is available, this is a story I'm not going to think much about.
Montrovant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 11:22 AM   #8
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Montro,

The Democrats seem to be complaining about the "structure" of the News Talk Radio Industry. They are saying that the "higher ups" want to censor liberal voices and only air those that they agree with, Conservative voices. First of all, I don't think that is the case, and even if it was, so what? I think this is a bit of cry-baby-tactics on the part of the Democrats. I hope they fail in this legislation.

Think Fresh.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:43 AM   #9
DETMURDS
Detroit Native!

CK,...I am not really saying you are wrong or anything like that,..I am just explaining why dem/liberal/left wing radio doesn't work...,it is because it is in every other form of media,..that is why it failed,...why listen to am radio if you have it everyplace else?
Old 06-25-2007, 03:08 PM   #10
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETMURDS View Post
CK,...I am not really saying you are wrong or anything like that,..I am just explaining why dem/liberal/left wing radio doesn't work...,it is because it is in every other form of media,..that is why it failed,...why listen to am radio if you have it everyplace else?
That, and liberals are more likely to get their news elsewhere. Younger people tend to be more liberal and younger people use the internet nad other sources for news. Talk radio's audience is inherently more corsevative. The type of person who would rather listen to talk radio over music in the car is most likely an older, white, middle-to-upper-class male; AKA a conservative.

Again, I think anyone who wants to force us to listen/watch/read something that doesn't sell is wrong. I condemn anyone who supports this bill. If conservative talk radio is more successful, so be it.

Think Fresh.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:24 AM   #11
DETMURDS
Detroit Native!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post
That, and liberals are more likely to get their news elsewhere. Younger people tend to be more liberal and younger people use the internet nad other sources for news. Talk radio's audience is inherently more corsevative. The type of person who would rather listen to talk radio over music in the car is most likely an older, white, middle-to-upper-class male; AKA a conservative.

Again, I think anyone who wants to force us to listen/watch/read something that doesn't sell is wrong. I condemn anyone who supports this bill. If conservative talk radio is more successful, so be it.

In what you say about young people,...that only applies to young Americans in big cities,...the Bible belt, small towns America (not suburbs), and most all of the Military are on the right. Therefore it is hard to generalize in agreeing with your "younger people" theory. But overall,...I'm onboard with you.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:09 AM   #12
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Either liberals just aren't good at talk radio (Jim Hightower also flopped in the mid-'90s) or the demographics aren't conducive to liberal shows being profitable (the target audience's overall income is too low to make the stations any money).

But what about the fact that something like 85-90 per cent of all newspaper and TV journalists are registered Democrats? And the left does seem to dominate the blogosphere.

There appears to be some professions where you almost have to lean one way or the other to even have the desire to pursue them; I bet that if you did a survey of all NFL and college football coaches, it would be very likely to show that the vast majority of them are politically conservative; and that a similar survey of social workers would reveal an lopsided liberal dominance of that vocation.

You can't legislate people's job preferences. This misguided attempt at doing so needs to die a quiet death.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:40 PM   #13
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Either liberals just aren't good at talk radio (Jim Hightower also flopped in the mid-'90s) or the demographics aren't conducive to liberal shows being profitable (the target audience's overall income is too low to make the stations any money).

But what about the fact that something like 85-90 per cent of all newspaper and TV journalists are registered Democrats? And the left does seem to dominate the blogosphere.

There appears to be some professions where you almost have to lean one way or the other to even have the desire to pursue them; I bet that if you did a survey of all NFL and college football coaches, it would be very likely to show that the vast majority of them are politically conservative; and that a similar survey of social workers would reveal an lopsided liberal dominance of that vocation.

You can't legislate people's job preferences. This misguided attempt at doing so needs to die a quiet death.
Well said Anthony.

Think Fresh.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:57 AM   #14
jhuerbin88
Sports guy

jhuerbin88 is on a distinguished road

I thought this was actually going to be a discussion on censorship in the US, not just a rambling about an incident that one person said one time that kind of maybe upset one person...one time...Although Fresh and Anthony bring up so very good points.

I think we should steer the discussion that way (actually about censorship of US citizens)...anybody else?
Old 07-01-2007, 11:27 AM   #15
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Sure thing jhuerbin, start us off.

Think Fresh.