Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 10-24-2007, 06:59 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default Heat trade Walker...

NBA season is upon us (like anyone cares :lol.

Heat get:

F-G Ricky Davis
C Mark Blount

Wolves get:

F Antoine Walker
C Michael Doleac
F Wayne Simien
Conditional first round pick

It was time. Walker showed up to Miami camp overweight again. Riley was either gonna trade him or kill him at this point.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:28 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Kinda trading one erratic guy for another, but at least Davis is younger and can do more for the Heat.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 11:13 PM   #3
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Lotta old Celtic players getting thrown around huh? This was a good deal for the Heat.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:13 AM   #4
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

I agree. Rickey Davis and Mel Blount could help the Heat alot. The T'Wolves seem to be gutting their team and starting from scratch.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:58 PM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_aloha View Post
Lotta old Celtic players getting thrown around huh? This was a good deal for the Heat.
Meh, I don't know. Like Marc said they are basically swapping one head case for another. There is a reason why Davis has never lasted more than two seasons with the same team. He has always been a bit of a lockerroom cancer everywhere he has been. It will be interesting to see how he meshes with Wade seeing as he has never really seen a shot he didn't like.

Don't count the Wolves out just yet. They have scads of quality young talent and by moving Davis this means they will be able to give guys like Gerald Green and Ryan Gomes more minutes.

The big negative of this means Al Jefferson may have to play center again as opposed to power forward.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 04:58 PM   #6
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Ricky's a nut...no doubt. But Riley can use his Jedi mind powers on the likes of him with ease.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:09 PM   #7
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

I like Ricky to deal with more than Antoine. Walker was just delaying a move like this cuz of flashes of on court success that helped hide the Heats deficiencies...

Solid move? We'll see. Necessary move to find out? Absolutely...
Old 10-27-2007, 11:49 AM   #8
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
Meh, I don't know. Like Marc said they are basically swapping one head case for another. There is a reason why Davis has never lasted more than two seasons with the same team. He has always been a bit of a lockerroom cancer everywhere he has been. It will be interesting to see how he meshes with Wade seeing as he has never really seen a shot he didn't like.

Don't count the Wolves out just yet. They have scads of quality young talent and by moving Davis this means they will be able to give guys like Gerald Green and Ryan Gomes more minutes.

The big negative of this means Al Jefferson may have to play center again as opposed to power forward.
I don't see that the Wolves are done dealing yet. They could pull another out of their hat and Jefferson could play his "natural" position. Or they could use Doleac more to see what he can do. He can't be worse than the other plodders they have had out there for most of the franchise history.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 02:58 PM   #9
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
I like Ricky to deal with more than Antoine. Walker was just delaying a move like this cuz of flashes of on court success that helped hide the Heats deficiencies...

Solid move? We'll see. Necessary move to find out? Absolutely...
I think this was Master Riley's take as well.

Of course we'll never know...due to being mere mortals... but take comfort in the fact that you and Riley may have been on the same brainwave at one point.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:40 PM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I don't see that the Wolves are done dealing yet. They could pull another out of their hat and Jefferson could play his "natural" position. Or they could use Doleac more to see what he can do. He can't be worse than the other plodders they have had out there for most of the franchise history.
I don't know I don't see them making too many more moves to be honest. The sole reason they took Doleac and Simien are because their deals are up at the end of the year. I have a feeling the Wolves are looking to '08-'09 being the year the franchise gets back into contention. With their current roster they have only $38 million committed in salaries for that season so they will have tons of cap space to acquire a quality veteran or two to supplement all of the young talent. My hunch is they will go with Juwan Howard and Jefferson in the 4 and 5 slots with Doleac, Simien, and Madsen playing support roles.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:41 PM   #11
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
Ricky's a nut...no doubt. But Riley can use his Jedi mind powers on the likes of him with ease.
You mean like he did with 'Toine?
Old 10-29-2007, 10:11 AM   #12
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
You mean like he did with 'Toine?
He squeezed a ring out of 'Toine. That's all that counts.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:35 PM   #13
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

You mean he squeezed a ring out of D-Wade....
Old 10-30-2007, 03:44 PM   #14
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
You mean he squeezed a ring out of D-Wade....
Nah, not D-Wade. He's a player. The NBA is all about having a superstar and finding enough solid role players to keep their crap to a minimum in order to win. That's what Riley does so well: squeezes 'em dry and moves on.

Well, unless you're the Spurs. :thumbup: