Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 07-30-2010, 03:43 PM   #16
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAR(cotics) View Post
The Bengals simply have the most prolific offense on paper in the AFC...and it rivals that of the New Orleans Saints (yes...the Saints have the most prolific offense in the NFL) They have a QB who has thrown PLENTY of three hundred yard games. They have three recievers who could easily have 1000 yard seasons (much like the recieving corps in Arizona when they went to the super bowl versus Pitt) they have a Running Back who has proved he is probably one of the top three backs in the league. Behind only Adrian Peterson and Chris Johnson.
This is really pretty funny. You honestly believe that T. O. and the other guys they added this off season are going to be good for 12 points this year? Sorry, Owens is still a solid receiver but he is not an elite receiver any more.

You really believe the Bengals offense is going to score more points than Indy and New England?

Seriously, Cedric Benson is not the third best back in the league. Steven Jackson, Thomas Jones, Maurice Jones-Drew, and Ray Rice are all easily better backs than Benson is.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:34 AM   #17
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

I think the Bengals will be better than New England offensively, not Indy.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:51 AM   #18
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

NAR(cotics) is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
This is really pretty funny. You honestly believe that T. O. and the other guys they added this off season are going to be good for 12 points this year? Sorry, Owens is still a solid receiver but he is not an elite receiver any more.
You honestly think T.O. and Ochocinco and Antonio Bryant aren't going to be one of the best if not the best Recieving Corps in the league this year?

T.O. was playing last year in Buffalo's name which crappy QB we are going to throw out there this year to throw you the pigskin offense. No wonder his rates dropped, I don't even know who the QB was last year, the only Buffalo QB I know the name of is JP Losman, hes playing in the UFL.

I love stats, and so we will go to stats.

Ochocinco: 72 Receptions, 1047 Yards, 14.5 YPR, 9 TD's
T.O. (in Buffalo): 55 Receptions, 829 Yards, 15.1 YPR, 5 TD's
Antonio Bryant (in Tampa Bay) (in 13 Games): 39 Receptions, 600 Yards, 15.4 YPR, 4 TD's
Plus the Rookie Jordan Shipley who I think is going to be a better reciever than a lot of people will give him credit for.

Okay thats 2476 Yards, and 18 TD's. I would venture to guess you all think that Carson Palmer is a better reciever than whoever was in Buffalo and the rookie in Tampa Bay. Right? Okay.

Now your wondering why I quoted reception numbers. Let's take Carson Palmer's 282 Completions last year shall we?
Subtract Ocho's 72 Receptions, that leaves 210 catches for the rest of the recieving corps. Now T.O. didn't complain at all in Buffalo last year he had 55 catches, let's subtract that number. That leaves 155 Receptions. If Antonio Bryant plays a whole season and gets let's say 50 Receptions to keep him happy. 105 Catches left.

Here's the point I am trying to make, everyone says it's not going to work because those three won't be able to work together....not enough catches to go around. They could all get their exact numbers from last year, or even more receptions, hell they could all get 70+ receptions this year and their would still be 20 or 30 catches left for Jordan Shipley. That's assuming Carson only throws as much as last year, what if he throws more like he did in 2007 when he had 343 completions? So kill the TO MUCH EGO rumors.

That gives Cedric the Entertainer the same amount of carries as last year if Carson throws just as much. That is 1252 more yards and 6 more TDs.

Please explain Doublee why is this not the most prolific offense in the NFL? The funny thing is TO and AB and Ocho could easily have MORE YPR more TD's and MORE RECEPTIONS....tell me Doub, because you have failed to do this yet, when TO, Ocho and Bryant are on the field, who do you cover? How do you cover them? and how do you stop all three? If they line up four wide with Jordan Shipley same thing, who you gonna cover? Tell me how you stop 2 of them let alone 3 or 4?

This is scary. Now you can't stack 8 in the box and double cover Chad like you could last year, Cedric is going to get more open, and he is going to get more yards, and more TD's.

Thank you.

Quote:
You really believe the Bengals offense is going to score more points than Indy and New England?
Yes, easily. I believe they will score more than anyone in the NFL except the Saints. They have more threats and more talent than anyone in the league on offense. (sorry Peyton, sorry Tom). Most teams have a couple threats. They have threats all over the field.

Quote:
Seriously, Cedric Benson is not the third best back in the league. Steven Jackson, Thomas Jones, Maurice Jones-Drew, and Ray Rice are all easily better backs than Benson is
I believe I said he could be one of the top three backs in the league. I will wait until the end of the year, when he doesn't have to face 8 in the box every down, and we will see how many yards and TD's he has. Plus he simply doesn't turn over the ball, one fumble last year, no fumbles lost.

My only championship this year....college soccer. :thumbdown:
NAR(cotics) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 01:22 PM   #19
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

First off TO was slowing down before he even went to Buffalo. He got just 69 balls his last year in Dallas and that was with Tony Romo at quarterback. The last two seasons Owens has caught less than half the passes thrown his way 124 of 249 passes thrown his way.

The league's elite receivers are at 60% or better, Owens simply does not get open the way he used to three or four years ago. The Cowboys cut him primarily because he was not producing like he did for them in '06 and '07. If Dallas still thought he was a premiere receiver who was going to give them 85 catches they would have hung onto him.

Everyone wants to give him a pass for having crappy QBs in Buffalo but the fact of the matter is his play was starting to drop off his last year in Dallas. You will be hard pressed to find anyone who thinks Owens is still remotely close to being an elite receiver in the league. The consensus is that he is, at best, a top 20 to 25 receiver.

Honestly, I would not hold my breath on the Bengals getting much out of Bryant this year. His knee is still not 100% and is already sitting out practices because he cannot run at full speed. The main reason they brought TO in was because Bryant has struggled all spring getting back to full speed.

As for Benson you said
Quote:
they have a Running Back who has proved he is probably one of the top three backs in the league. Behind only Adrian Peterson and Chris Johnson.
He simply is not. The two reasons he is not is for one he never stays healthy enough to play a full 16 games and secondly he brings nothing to the passing game the way the other guys that I mentioned do. Benson has never caught more than 20 passes in a season while the others are good for 40 to 50 catches a year. They are much more versatile than Benson is, not to mention they score a lot more than Benson does.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:00 PM   #20
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

So 1052 Yards and 10 TD's is not up to par with normal TO numbers I give you that. BUT that is a lot of points and 1000 yards is what most recievers strive for. Those were TO's numbers in Dallas...

Stop him Ocho and Antonio Bryant, I dare you, just try.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:05 PM   #21
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAR(cotics) View Post
Stop him Ocho and Antonio Bryant, I dare you, just try.
So, is Bryant even gong to play this year? He has yet to practice for them. I am telling you he will be cut within the next week or so if he cannot get back on the practice field.

Based on what I saw last night I am not sure the Bengals' o-line play is going to be good enough for them to have en explosive offense. The Eagles did not seem to have too much trouble getting pressure on Palmer and they really were not bringing a lot of blitzes.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:55 AM   #22
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

Based on the track record of the O Line and Benson's ability to run for over 1000 yards each of the past two seasons I think the Offensive Line will get it together. Okay so AB doesnt play Shipley has proven he can in the preseason. You gonna stop him TO and Ocho? Your missing the point the Bengals have to many options you can't double them all and stack 8 in the box to stop Benson, what you gonna do?

Old 08-22-2010, 05:43 PM   #23
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

The point is if the line is not giving Palmer enough time to set up and throw it does not matter who you have at receiver. You don't need to double team receivers if you are able to get pressure on the quarterback.

The Eagles were able to force Palmer into throwing two picks on Friday simply because they were able to force him into throwing before he wanted to.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:28 PM   #24
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

Remember the Bengals are a run first offense, and they give CB PLENTY of time to run the ball. I agree the O Line is inconsistant, Bengals fans are STILL outraged that we dont have Micheal Oher on our team...damn it Blindside...but its still only preseason, save the worry till the games mean something.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:12 AM   #25
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Did you ever think that they are a run first offense because they do not do a very good job of protecting the quarterback?

Offensive line play is a lot like hitting a baseball in the majors. Ninety percent of offensive lineman can run block it is far easier to do than pass protect, just like 90% of all big leaguers can kill the fast ball, it is the elite that can hit the change or the breaking ball 400 feet.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:12 AM   #26
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

I would like to point out that the Bengals are a run first offense because it is proven that Cedric the Entertainer can in fact run, he can run good, he can run for over 1000 yards a season and he can score touchdowns. I would like to point out that the backup, well he's pretty damn good to.

I think being a run first offense has more to do with the fact that since the Bengals started using CB they have won a division title, went from shit to first and made the playoffs.

Don't forget CB is the reason the Bengals even won ANY games when Carson was injured, god knows it wasn't Jordan Palmer :lol:

Cedric has proven his worth that is why they use him, the Bengals like to go out and hit you in the mouth, kick your ass defensively, get a one Touchdown lead and the slowly tick time away with CB. Than hit you in the mouth, over and over and over again.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:00 AM   #27
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

You need to be very careful when evaluating the Bengals' defense. Sure, it has looked "good" statistically in recent years - but that may have been due to the fact that because of Cincinnati's injury-plagued offense, most teams were playing "not to lose" against them, instead of playing more aggressively, to win - the point being that if a team feels they can beat you by scoring 17 points, they are likely to be far more conservative in their offensive gameplan than if they felt, say, 30 points were necessary.

I've seen this syndrome literally myriads of times in the 35 years I've been following the NFL more-or-less closely.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:12 PM   #28
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Yeah, about that Bengals offense. Sure looks unstoppable against the Pats huh?
Old 09-14-2010, 08:15 AM   #29
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

They're still gonna be better than what they showed the last two years.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:57 PM   #30
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
Yeah, about that Bengals offense. Sure looks unstoppable against the Pats huh?
Offense scored 24 points, I would say the defense was the problem, wouldn't you agree. I seem to recall 90+ yards for Ocho, 7 catches for T.O. and Shipley had over 70 yards....so umm yeah.