Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 12-10-2004, 01:15 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default BCS bowl picks and thoughts...

Haven't been on in awhile, too much to do, but here's my picks and thoughts...

Orange.....USC 38 Oklahoma 21
Rose.........Michigan 24 Texas 16
Fiesta.......Pitt 27 Utah 24
Sugar.......V Tech 17 Auburn 6

Kind of mixed emotions on Cal being left out, striking down the traditionally Pac 10-Big 10 matchup, but being that Cal isn't Pac Ten champ, I'm happy in that respect. The Rose doesn't have to take a second best team. All I heard about was how Cal hadn't been to the Rose in 40some years or whatever, so I'm glad they didn't get in due to the BCS system instead of earning it ( by beating USC).

VERY HAPPY Auburn got left out of the Orange. Contrary to Trev Alberts beliefs, this had EVERYTHING to do with their weak non-conf schedule and nothing to do with them being ranked so low in the human polls in August. If they could have lined up the talent USC and Oklahoma did in non-conf play, they would have gained ground in the computers to overtake someone, or at the very least, make a case for themselves. Interesting to see who Auburn gets in their non-conf games in the upcoming years. Will they learn their lesson or continue to play the Citadel? I think we all know the answer to that one. This was a wake up call for the SEC in general. Just because the HUMANS in the popular media think Jesus Christ had the SEC on the tablets brought down by Moses doesn't mean the unbiased computers will. Good to see one avenue in American society where logic and rational thought win out over Southern culture. They've got the political and cultural stronghold, atleast logic still has college football. I'll take it I guess, even though I hate the BCS and hate defending anything about it.

All 6 Big Ten teams in their bowls are underdogs, nothing new there. All 8 were underdogs when OSU won the NC two years ago and the Big Ten went 5-3.

Big Ten bowls...

Michgian 24 Texas 16
Iowa 16 LSU 13]
Wisc. 23 Georgia 13
Az St. 31 Purdue 17
Bama 19 Minn 3
Oh. St. 35 Ok St. 14
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 07:08 PM   #2
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

OU will beat USC, and Texas will beat Michigan
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 07:33 PM   #3
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

USC beats OU
Auburn beats VT
Utah beats Pitt

I'm so torn about Michigan-Texas I can't call it yet.

Aside from Pitt, I think Texas is by far the softest team in the BCS. BY FAR.
They did have a couple games at the end of the season where they exhibited a little toughness (the OSU game stands out--an incredible comeback performance by the 'Horns), but if Michigan can punch them in the jaw a couple times, I would expect Texas to crawl under a desert rock.

On the other hand, Texas might hide under that rock and realize that they're still able to win the game because Carr is such an incredibly bad coach in games that take place away from the Big House.

I'm really torn by it.

I think I kind of hope Michigan wins by 21, but I figure if they do win, it'll be by a much smaller margin. I don't know if it'll be an entertaining game, but it should be close.

Dave
Old 12-10-2004, 08:20 PM   #4
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Texas is a softer team than Utah?

Orange.....Oklahoma over USC
Rose.........Texas over Michigan
Fiesta.......Utah in a close one
Sugar.......Auburn, unless they have a world is against them attitude since they got left out.

Texas and Michigan will be the best game aside from the Orange ball. That Michigan pick could go either way.

As for Utah and Pitt, while I don't think Pitt is that good, I think that they will gameplan better for Alex Smith than anyone else has. That will keep them in the game. I expect this game to be sloppier than the rest. I do think the non BCS schools are getting better though and that Utah will hold them off.

I'm looking forward to the DUMBEST name ever bowl, between Fresno and Virginia, the liberty bowl and Holiday Bowl more than that Pitt/Utah game.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 09:09 PM   #5
Bucknut
Grizzled Veteran

Bucknut is on a distinguished road

At least they put the Big East Pitt vs Non-BCS conference Utah in the same bowl, instead of ruining two BCS bowls.

Will the Fiesta Bowl be filled? I doubt it. Probably will have the lowest tv ratings for a BCS bowl ever.

Yippie for Non-BCS conferences and the Big East (soon to be non-BCS)
Old 12-10-2004, 09:24 PM   #6
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Oh, if only, Bucknut.

Unfortunately for the college football world (and mostly chagrinning Disney and Fox Sports), the Big East is comfortable through the year, uh... 2007, I think. A team has to finish outside the Top 12 four years running to eliminate its automatic bid. There's been no indication from the BCS Committee or the TV gurus that that would be changed anytime too soon.

I doubt the Fiesta Bowl will be filled, because Pitt travels not so well. It should be pretty red, though, the Utes being a relatively short distance away.

Dave
Old 12-10-2004, 09:52 PM   #7
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

Next year Louisville will be Big East Champ
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 11:26 PM   #8
MaddEnemy
Always next year

MaddEnemy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: BCS bowl picks and thoughts...

Quote:
Originally posted by buckeyefan78

Orange.....USC 38 Oklahoma 21
Rose.........Michigan 24 Texas 16
Fiesta.......Pitt 27 Utah 24
Sugar.......V Tech 17 Auburn 6

Big Ten bowls...

Michgian 24 Texas 16
Iowa 16 LSU 13]
Wisc. 23 Georgia 13
Az St. 31 Purdue 17
Bama 19 Minn 3
Oh. St. 35 Ok St. 14
I'll take the spread you give on:
Oklahoma +17
Texas +8
Utah +3
Aburn +11
LSU +3
Georgia +10

Ill even take
Purdue +14 for the hell of it.

My Picks:

Orange.....USC 34 Oklahoma 24
Rose.........Michigan 21 Texas 24
Fiesta.......Pitt 17 Utah 27
Sugar.......V Tech 27 Auburn 31

Iowa 14 LSU 28
Wisc. 23 Georgia 27
Az St. 24 Purdue 19
MaddEnemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 08:08 AM   #9
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Pitt fans hardly ever leave the city of Pittsburgh to watch a college football game. The fans couldn't even be bothered to make a relatively short trip to North Carolina for the Continental Tire Bowl a few years ago while Virginia had 30,000+ strong. Here's an article covering this topic:

http://postgazette.com/pg/04345/424678.stm

Orange.....Oklahoma over USC 31-28
Rose.........Texas over Michigan 35-21
Fiesta.......Utah over Pitt 31-17
Sugar.......Auburn over Virginia Tech 21-14
Old 12-11-2004, 09:51 AM   #10
Bucknut
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by MountaineerDave
Oh, if only, Bucknut.

Unfortunately for the college football world (and mostly chagrinning Disney and Fox Sports), the Big East is comfortable through the year, uh... 2007, I think. A team has to finish outside the Top 12 four years running to eliminate its automatic bid.
I believe if the conference doesn't AVERAGE a team at #12 or lower in a four year stretch that their BCS status can be taken away. VERY good chance of that happening.

Pitt is currently at #21.....IF they win their bowl game against Utah they could get close to #12, but I'd guess around #15.....hopefully they'll lose though and take them out of the top 25, make it just about impossible for the less than mediocre Big East to average #12 over four with only three more years.

Have fun watching your Mountaneers try to win their pathetic conference so that they can go to the 2008 Toilet Bowl.
Old 12-11-2004, 01:25 PM   #11
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

I've said it before and I will say it again....it you are down on Utah this year (as Bucknut seems to be, since he is glad they are playing Pitt; I think it's a travesty), then simply no non-BCS conference team will EVER be good enough for you.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 01:59 PM   #12
Bucknut
Grizzled Veteran

Utah has done NOTHING to prove they deserve to be in a BCS bowl.

Pick the top three teams from the Big Ten, Big XII, SEC, or ACC and give them Utah's schedule and chances are very good they go undefeated too.

On one hand it's a shame that Utah will probably go undefeated and they'll never get their chance to be exposed, and on the other it's good they play Pitt so that only one BCS bowl is ruined instead of two.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:55 PM   #13
tigereyes33
War Damn Eagle!!!!

tigereyes33 is on a distinguished road

Sugar-Auburn 31 Va. Tech 13
Orange- OU 27 USC 17
Rose- Texas 31 Michigan 10
Fiesta Utah 42 Pitt 28

I think that the Rose and Fiesta bowl will be very lopsided with Pitt and Michigan being badly outmatched. Also, I cannot see Va. Tech sticking with Auburn for 4 quarters. It will be a good game for 2 and 1/2, but Auburn will take over. Then, USC's luck will run out, as a healthy, OU team will be too much for the Trojans on both sides of the ball.
tigereyes33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 02:56 PM   #14
tigereyes33
War Damn Eagle!!!!

tigereyes33 is on a distinguished road

Also, look for UGA to walk all over Wisconson in the Outback. That one will get ugly.
tigereyes33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 03:07 PM   #15
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Bucknut
Utah has done NOTHING to prove they deserve to be in a BCS bowl.

Pick the top three teams from the Big Ten, Big XII, SEC, or ACC and give them Utah's schedule and chances are very good they go undefeated too.

On one hand it's a shame that Utah will probably go undefeated and they'll never get their chance to be exposed, and on the other it's good they play Pitt so that only one BCS bowl is ruined instead of two.
I'm going to have to call bull **** on this. Utah does not play in a powerhouse conference, so there's no way they can compete with the conference schedule of a Oklahoma or Auburn. But they did go out and play a tough non-conference schedule against quality BCS conference teams. Not only did they go undefeated, but they went virtually unchallenged, winning each game by at least 14 points.

And it wasn't like all of their opponents were simply walked over by everybody. Here's a quick list of some of their opponents' wins.

BYU - Notre Dame
Arizona - Arizona State
Texas A&M - Oklahoma State, Texas Tech
New Mexico - Texas Tech
North Carolina - Miami

Did they earn a shot at the national title with the schedule they played? Absolutely not. But there's no doubt they earned a BCS bid.

-RB
Noon is offline   Reply With Quote