Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 08:24 PM   #16
gconnhokiebird
age 13- itallion stallion

gconnhokiebird is on a distinguished road

sorry bout the name, I thought i might of had it wrong but I was too lazy to check. I thought I heard the announcers say that he had some form of experience or was highly touted or something like that.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:07 PM   #17
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Cal is one of the best teams in the country. They have one glaring weakness (secondary), which obviously meant they were in trouble against Texas Tech. Also their best receiver (MacArthur, one of better receivers in the country) was out with an injury.

Notre Dame I still think is a good team, albeit enigmatic. They did beat Michigan and Tennessee (at Knoxville).

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:32 AM   #18
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

I guess if you don't respect the Pac 10, nothing is going to make you. I think GConn will still think USC is overrated if they beat Oklahoma.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
Old 01-03-2005, 07:25 PM   #19
gconnhokiebird

What are you talking about. All I said was that Cal isn't a top team. Don't assume I don't think USC is great. I even said they are holding back. I see them winning easily agasint Oklahoma, their the most powerful team in the country.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:09 AM   #20
gconnhokiebird

Like I said, I knew their was more too USC than how they played agasint UCLA and Cal. Their proving it tonight. I knew that in a big setting they would play at a different level. Cal isn't a top team like I said and USC could crush them in a rematch.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:55 AM   #21
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

Why in the world didn't USC crush them - AT HOME - the first time they played them? Just a fluke, huh? And why did not one single other team beat Cal during the regular season? Just 'cause of the Pac 10 sucking, even though Cal, Oregon State, UCLA, and Stanford ALL played the Trojans within single digits? All flukiness too? This win by USC actually, and obviously, does tons to repudiate your "Cal isn't a top team" nonsense. Cal and the Pac 10.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
Old 01-05-2005, 04:16 AM   #22
El Jefe
Philosopher of Sport

El Jefe is on a distinguished road

How great it is...for me to not having to come to the boards here whatsoever to rant on how the Pac-10 is disrespected by some for no real logical reason all season long...and to just come here tonight and smile, for vindication was given tonight with the dominance of USC.

As a fan of the elite conference in the west, and arguably in the nation... what a glorious, glorious night in college football history!
Old 01-05-2005, 11:20 AM   #23
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Welcome back, El Jefe. And congratulations to your team and the Trojans.

Pete Carroll did an interview with local guys up here because of his leftover relationship as the Patriots coach, and confessed that before the team got on the bus after the game he'd received two phone calls from potential recruits who wanted to verbally commit to the Trojans.

Carroll's having sooo much fun. They talked to him at 7a, and he claimed that he hadn't yet slept and didn't expect to till they boarded the plane.

I'm glad for him. And glad to have been able to go to bed early. I felt a little bad for Stoops toward the end of the first half, but not that much.

The thing about this game that I find kind of strange is that there was soo much surprise about how the game played out. Anyone without SEC affiliations had to understand how fast this Trojans team was. Had to understand that their bad games--v. Oregon St, v. Stanford--they didn't play the entire games. Anyone who actually watched the Stanford game, in fact, knew the Trojans sleepwalked through the first half, and played about 3/4 speed during the second half, which they dominated as thoroughly as they did last night.

Dave
Old 01-05-2005, 06:50 PM   #24
El Jefe
Philosopher of Sport

^^^agreed Dave. I watched every single game these guys played, and I'll tell ya...even I initially bought into the media hype about Oklahoma and how they had a good chance of winning, mainly because of my own doubts about a very talented, but young Trojan team. Then I realized how the national media was breaking down the Trojans...making it seem as if all they had were Leinart and Bush. Well...now folks around the country know that's certainly not the case. Stop Bush and we win...nice gameplan Sooners. And Steve Smith...man what a great story. Oklahoma didn't respect him, or any of the other receivers not named Jarrett at all. He came back from a serious injury and played like the big-time star the Trojans knew he could be.

Outside of the Rose Bowl, which was just an amazing game to watch, my favorite game of the year goes back to Cal/'SC...a historical clash that showed both sides left everything they had on the field, not to mention one broken leg on each team. And if anyone says the Pac-10 is soft, well hey...the three-closest wins the Trojans had all year were in conference.

I'm glad you touched on Carroll, because how can anyone not like the guy? He is simply a class act as a winner...and I love the fact he knows how to just savor the moment and rejoice only when the job's done. His personality is one that fits the mold flawlessly for this continuing Trojan dynasty, and hopefully he and Norm Chow stick together for many years to come, though it would be nice to see Norm fill in a head coaching spot at the collegiate or pro level. They make an incredible duo.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:13 PM   #25
gconnhokiebird

Did the Holiday bowl happen? Did Cal not get destroyed by Texas Tech? Oh, but it was a bad matchup for Cal, That means it doesn't count.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:01 AM   #26
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

A bit offtopic, but how the hell were Jojo and Ashlee Vanilli allowed to "sing" at the same event?

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:18 AM   #27
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Satan
Old 01-06-2005, 09:38 AM   #28
El Jefe
Philosopher of Sport

Quote:
Originally posted by gconnhokiebird
Did the Holiday bowl happen? Did Cal not get destroyed by Texas Tech? Oh, but it was a bad matchup for Cal, That means it doesn't count.
Ok...so a very good college football team has no business losing to another good team? Hmmm, if that were the case, we would've told Texas to burn in hell a long time ago, but funny enough they seem to always hang around the Top 15 when they can't win a truly big game for the life of them.

Bad matchup for Cal, and not having both of your starting receivers can hurt a bit too. They fell apart against a team that had nothing to lose and everything to gain by beating them on a national stage. With that said, it was an upset, plain and simple. Tech surprised them, worked away from the strength of the Bears defense, and took them down. Good for the Red Raiders.

Truth be told, the Bears hadn't been the same without Lyman. If you watched from that point of the season on, you could see the passing attack was not as explosive. The running game continued to be strong and consistent, but without a solid replacement for their primary deep threat, they were vulnerable...and the Oregon game was the indicator.

In the end, however, if you match up Cal against the rest of the Top 10, you should see that they have the players to take down any of those teams...all starting with a running attack featuring the most productive feature back to play this season.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:41 AM   #29
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

El Jefe, just to give you some background, GConn has been disrespecting Cal all year and was never going to give them any respect regardless of what they did. I remember how we all got a good laugh out of it when he said Cal was overrated and one of their problems was "They didn't have any good players," something like that.

Old 01-06-2005, 10:34 PM   #30
gconnhokiebird

I NEVER EVER SAID CAL DIDN'T HAVE ANY GOOD PLAYERS. I actully like Cal more than you would think. I probaly respect them more than you think after also after they stomped the Hokies in a bowl game. I just think they are unproven. Besides, I havn't even talked about Cal all year so what are you talking about?
Closed Thread