Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 05-22-2006, 05:05 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default The Da Vinci Code and summer movies

It's the biggest movie of the year and I saw it over the weekend. What did you all think? I was hyped and eagerly anticipated, but the critics bashed it. I tend to agree it wasn't a great movie, but still worthwhile to see.

There has also been a fair share of controversy from religious groups who see it as anti-religion (particularly Catholicism). I think the movie tried too hard to not offend anyone and just seemed to be missing something that would make it flow. It was just dry and slow in parts.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the Superman Returns movie, and maybe Miami Vice. What else is coming up you look forward to?
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 05:49 PM   #2
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Superman Returns is the only thing I am really looking forward to. I have a bad feeling Ratner will turn X-Men 3 into a pile of crap, but i will see it regardless.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 06:39 PM   #3
carter08
Mr. Tambourine Man

carter08 is on a distinguished road

yeah, Superman and possibly Pirates of the Carribean
Old 05-23-2006, 03:58 AM   #4
LA sports
I love LA!

LA sports is on a distinguished road

I saw the Da Vinci Code Saturday, it was okay. My wife enjoyed it more than I did and she said it is because she had read the book. Who knows. I am looking forward to the new Pirates of the Carribean movie, loved the first one.

Has anybody heard about them making another Lord of the Rings movie about the first book, I think it is called The Hobbit.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:23 AM   #5
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

The Da Vinci Code dragged for most of the first hour of the film, thanks to the apathetic performance from Tom Hanks (his least appeasing role since 1998's You've Got Mail) as leading-man Robert Langdon. But once the rest of the cast got involved, including Sir Ian McKellan, the film started to become a slow-moving, yet enjoyable thriller.

I never read the book, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but it did seem the film tried as hard as it could not to offend any moviegoers. Also, the theories presented in the film seemed rushed to conclusion to fit within the 2 1/2 hour time frame, leaving a lot left unexplained.

Unfortunately, this was a film that needed a lot of summarizing, but Ron Howard didn't have enough time to establish the needed tension to make the film intriguing.

In any event, it is probably the best movie playing at your local cinema right now, but will not be remembered come award season.

If you are looking for a great new movie to watch, I recommend renting the low-budget films Winter Passing or On the Outs.

As far as summer movies go, I am most excited to see Robert Altman's A Prairie Home Companion. The film, which takes a look at what goes on backstage during the last broadcast of America's most celebrated radio show, stars Meryl Streep, Kevin Kline, Tommy Lee Jones, Lily Tomlin, John C. Reilly, Woody Harrelson, Virginia Madsen and Lindsay Lohan (an early contender with this year's Thank You for Smoking for best acting ensemble).

Other summer movies I am looking forward to include The Break-Up starring Vince Vaughn and Jennifer Aniston, the beforementioned Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, Clerks II (Kevin Smith films have always been a guilty pleasure of mine), Oliver Stone's World Trade Center, and the indie-documentary This Film is Not Yet Rated.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 12:32 PM   #6
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I never read the book, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but it did seem the film tried as hard as it could not to offend any moviegoers.
Quote:
I think the movie tried too hard to not offend anyone and just seemed to be missing something that would make it flow
toby, I know you said you hadn't read the book, Marc, I'm not sure if you have...and I've only read the book, haven't seen the movie...But, I'd say that this whole the movie not trying to offend anyone wasn't a product of the movie so much. That was the entire nature of the book. I kept wanting the book to have that final edge, Brown took a long time setting it up, he just needed to go for more glancing blow and it just never happened. The nature of the book was not to offend, and I think that was the problem I had with the book. It just seemed like it was written to me where the author went, "well, I've got religious folks as shady characters, I can't have them do anything over the top offensive, because religious folks will already be upset since religious folks are bad guys in this book".
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 01:25 PM   #7
AmberOSU
All-Star Player

AmberOSU is on a distinguished road

I'm really looking forward to XMen 3. I don't really have much of a desire to see the DaVinci Code because I haven't read the book, and I'd rather know what all the fuss is about before I see the movie. Also looking forward to the Pirates of the Caribbean sequel even though I'm a little scared they will screw it up.

Either way, I think the best movie I will see this year, I have already seen. V for Vendetta.
AmberOSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 01:34 PM   #8
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

XMen3, no doubt, is on my must-see list. My daughter's away at her grandparents place next week, and this is top of the list of movies to see.

Haven't seen and likely won't see a big screen version of DaVinci Code.
My brother-in-law left a copy of the book and I've been slogging through it when the spirit (that is, my bowels) moves me. I have to say, it's... well, I don't think Brown will be up for any awards as an author, let's just leave it at that. (I'm not a published fiction author, so I try not to throw official stones. However, I'm pretty sure that when I put my mind to it, I'm a technically better writer. But, again: I'm unpublished, whereas, obviously, he has a great agent.)

I'm looking forward to Superman Returns. And I can't leave out the Will Ferrell does NASCAR movie. (Title escapes me.)

There must be some other stuff coming that I'm interested in seeing, but I don't know what at the moment.
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 03:38 PM   #9
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted By MountaineerDave
I'm looking forward to Superman Returns. And I can't leave out the Will Ferrell does NASCAR movie. (Title escapes me.)
The Will Ferrell movie is called Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted By AmberOSU
Either way, I think the best movie I will see this year, I have already seen. V for Vendetta.
V for Vendetta was a very good early year release, and Hugo Weaving was amazing in that film (if you are a fan, check Weaving out in the Australian-film Little Fish). But my favorite film to this point has been Jason Reitman's satire Thank You for Smoking.

If you want to talk about what I would expect to be the best movies of the year, I am really looking forward to the remake All the King's Men, Cannes film festival favorite Babel, the star-studded Running with Scissors, Emilio Estevez's Bobby, and Steven Soderbergh's latest The Good German.

I am also excited to see Game 6, which is available to rent today.

Quote:
Originally Posted By Doug Graham
I kept wanting the book to have that final edge, Brown took a long time setting it up, he just needed to go for more glancing blow and it just never happened. The nature of the book was not to offend, and I think that was the problem I had with the book.
Again, I haven't read the book, but I would at least hope that Brown's novel took a little bit of time setting up the theories presented. It is sad to say that a movie dragged on and on, yet rushed to conclusions on important pieces of the plotline.

The Da Vinci Code featured dreadful dialogue forcing the film to lag, and what appeared to me to be a rush to conclusions in the theories so as to stray away from offending those who disagreed with the work of fiction.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 04:51 PM   #10
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Again, I haven't read the book, but I would at least hope that Brown's novel took a little bit of time setting up the theories presented. It is sad to say that a movie dragged on and on, yet rushed to conclusions on important pieces of the plotline.

The Da Vinci Code featured dreadful dialogue forcing the film to lag, and what appeared to me to be a rush to conclusions in the theories so as to stray away from offending those who disagreed with the work of fiction.
I'll probably get around to seeing it in the theatre if only because while reading it I kept feeling that it would be a better movie than book.

In terms of theories and the like getting wrapped up, I know with the book, although I can't quite remember everything, it seemed like a lot of the theories were meant to be open ended. And that leads me into Dave's comment...

Quote:
But, again: I'm unpublished, whereas, obviously, he has a great agent.
Great agent, maybe...great marketing plan behind this? Without a doubt. The success in the Da Vinci Code was in how it was marketed. It starts with that one page about how things are factual and the like...specifically where it says that the rituals are accurate. I don't particularly think a whole lot of Brown's writing, but that line and this whole page is great. It just gets a lot of people to believe in what they're about to read, for better or for worse, but they're into it. After the book came out there was a lot of stuff like Da Vinci Code games and puzzles that people really got into.

Aside from that, people ask questions about religion, the book was designed in a way to get people to talk about religion in a very basic manner where anyone of any intelligence level could have serious religious discussions. I think that was the key in this book selling. I was listening to NPR yesterday and a speaker there mentioned how they picked the book up only after hearing how excited a young person was about talking about some of the religious theories presented. That's one of the main reason I think the theories in the book were kept open ended. If people talk about this book, more people are going to read this book. You close off all those theories, maybe you make the book better in terms of the writing, but you stir up less talk.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:39 PM   #11
IntheNet
Hall of Famer

IntheNet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
It's the biggest movie of the year and I saw it over the weekend. What did you all think?
Code movie=-> Heavily panned by critics and I'm not spending 5 cents for a fictional and badly written attack on the Catholic Church... waiting for Apocylpse by Mel Gibson on South American Inca empire...
Old 05-23-2006, 10:39 PM   #12
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

I think Gibson's flick is on the Mayan civilization not the Incan people. Switchin' attack for attack eh IntheNet?

Mayas, Incas...no difference. Should get to see some fact based rapin', robbin', and murderin' of the native savages at the hands of Catholics if Gibson is honest in this endeavor.

Now that is worth 5 cents! :lol:

Sorry, I'll admit that was "trollish," but I couldn't help but see the irony in that last post. Besides, we have the "Holy War" theme in the terrorism thread.

Clerks II? Nah, you can't do that. That's a one time deal...like losin' your virginity.

Last edited by buckeyefan78; 05-24-2006 at 12:07 AM.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 07:23 AM   #13
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Of course the Mary Magdaline angle isn't even original - the same territory was covered in The Last Temptation of Christ 17 years ago; and in any event one need not be specifically Catholic to get offended by it.

The way Opus Dei was depicted, however, is another story.

But where are the riots all over the West over this - in contrast to what happened in the aftermath of those Danish cartoons?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 08:07 AM   #14
IntheNet
Hall of Famer

IntheNet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
But where are the riots all over the West over this - in contrast to what happened in the aftermath of those Danish cartoons?
Classic contrast between Muslim and Christian religions there Anthony... Christianity is a religion of peace; though true Christians should be and are offended by this Code film, we express our rage peacefully. Muslims however, offended by Mohammed depicted in cartoons, go on a violent tear through Europe. That is why Hollywood delights in offending Christians; the liberal secular Directors know that it is unlikely they'll be beheaded for their smear.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:20 AM   #15
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntheNet
though true Christians should be and are offended by this Code film
Question IntheNet: Did you actually read the book, or are you calling it garbage because that's what your preacher told you to say?
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote