Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 10-14-2006, 02:17 AM   #1
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about
Default T.O. Countdown To Extinction

Might as well start the inevitable T.O. thread as it appears he's finally gettin' his mouth into "game shape"...

A followup installment to the Look At Me sitcom that is T.O. ....

T.O., receivers coach 'merely co-workers'

Terrell Owens is done talking to his position coach.

T.O. said on his radio show Friday that his relationship with Dallas Cowboys receivers coach Todd Haley was ruined by a blowup this week. It began when Owens missed the start of Wednesday's practice because of an upset stomach, and Haley berated him for being late. Owens held his tongue then, but they later argued during a meeting.

The story getting out seems to bother Owens the most because Haley vowed since training camp that all internal matters would stay behind closed doors. Owens spoke with reporters for 45 minutes Wednesday without ever mentioning any problems with Haley. But the incident was reported by several media outlets Friday before Owens gave his side of the story later on his weekly show.

From now on, T.O. said, "there will be nothing else, no other dialogue" between him and Haley.

"There will be no more friendly nothing because I don't trust anybody like that," Owens said. "I will go out and practice hard. I will respect him as a coach, and he should respect me as a player. Anything outside of that I am not going to be able to deal with.

"Right now, we are merely co-workers, and that's it," he added.

Owens caught only three passes for 45 yards in a loss to Philadelphia on Sunday. It was a key division game for the Cowboys and a personal revenge game for Owens after the Eagles dumped him midway through last season.

TV cameras showed Owens screaming at Haley - who also carries the title "passing game coordinator" - on the sideline during the game. Although teammates said some of his rants were encouragement, Owens admitted saying, "Why am I here?" about his limited action. Coach Bill Parcells later noted that 13 balls were thrown to Owens, five more than anyone else; two were intercepted and one was dropped.

The confrontation between receiver and coach occurred Wednesday, the first time the Cowboys were back on the practice field. A strength coach was sent to get Owens when he was absent.

"By the time I step on the field, Todd starts cursing at me, this and that, and I'm like, 'Dude, I was in the restroom,"' Owens said. "He said, 'I don't (care) what you were doing. Everybody else is out here."'

Owens said he didn't respond, although he later apologized to Parcells and was told, "All right, just try to get out here a little earlier."

Then Owens and Haley butted heads during a meeting.

"I was venting, he was venting," Owens said. "I felt it stayed behind closed doors.

"It's all about frustration. Everybody is still frustrated from the loss on Sunday. At some point, we had our time to vent on Monday, Tuesday and have that bad taste that sick feeling out of your mouth. On Wednesday, it's a new day. It's a new game plan, a new team that we're getting prepared for. That's where our focus and direction should be. But obviously Todd, he's been frustrated, and he's taking it out on other people."

Parcells does not allow assistant coaches to talk to reporters. Team officials did not immediately return calls. Parcells said Thursday and Friday he wasn't talking about Owens. Asked why, he said Thursday: "I'm tired of it."

Dallas plays Houston at home Sunday.

Owens has a history of not getting along with coaches, from his position coach to the offensive coordinator to the head coach. It led to his dismissal from San Francisco and Philadelphia.

Although Owens has missed most of the preseason with a hamstring and had a highly publicized accidental overdose, he insists that he's been on his best behavior in his first season in Dallas.

"I know in the back of people's minds they are waiting for something to happen," said Owens, in the first year of a three-year, $25 million contract with the Cowboys. "I have made a conscious effort not to go down those roads again."

Owens made it clear that he'll still listen to Haley, but their discussions must be limited to Xs and Os.

"In business, you have people that work together and don't necessarily get along together," he said.

Owens said "anything is fixable," but he feels his trust in Haley "is being violated."

"I will have a hard time (trusting him) here on out," Owens said.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6052142
Old 10-14-2006, 03:11 AM   #2
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

The media whores will obviously do anything - and I mean anything - to get their 226 pounds of flesh.

Still, I'm forced to admit that I'm kind of glad that the witch hunt isn't taking place in Philadelphia any more.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 09:25 AM   #3
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Please tell me I'm misunderstanding you, Anthony...

It's seeming that you're saying the media fabricated this silly outburst. I'll grant that the media, & most talking heads, can't seem to not keep shining the spotlight on T.O.'s comments, but it's hard not to when T.O. keeps jumpin' up on stage.

As far as witch hunt, while the media does their fair share of egging T.O. on, it's still up to T.O. to be mature & quit feedin' the dogs. T.O.'s problem is that he's a media whore himself....

Of course if I misread your comment, nevermind....
Old 10-14-2006, 11:26 AM   #4
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

Haha, wow, it's always great to see nice chemistry between a player and his coaches. T.O. just can't seem to not cause trouble. Although, I will admit that I agree with his statement a few days ago when he said he should be a bigger part of the gameplan and should be getting more catches.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 11:49 AM   #5
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

This is exactly why i was mad when they signed TO. And as far as being more part of the offense, he is th WR getting the most balls thrown to him...should they throw to him every down or what? He has had a lot of drops this year, and Bledsoe has been off on throws too.
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 03:40 AM   #6
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
Please tell me I'm misunderstanding you, Anthony...

It's seeming that you're saying the media fabricated this silly outburst. I'll grant that the media, & most talking heads, can't seem to not keep shining the spotlight on T.O.'s comments, but it's hard not to when T.O. keeps jumpin' up on stage.

As far as witch hunt, while the media does their fair share of egging T.O. on, it's still up to T.O. to be mature & quit feedin' the dogs. T.O.'s problem is that he's a media whore himself....

Of course if I misread your comment, nevermind....

How often does a player and his position coach and/or coordinator have a verbal disagreement? I would estimate - conservatively - ten times per week, league-wide. How come there was no story this week about the other nine (or more)?

For whatever reason, the media has it in for this dude (T.O.).
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 10:15 AM   #7
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
How often does a player and his position coach and/or coordinator have a verbal disagreement? I would estimate - conservatively - ten times per week, league-wide. How come there was no story this week about the other nine (or more)?

For whatever reason, the media has it in for this dude (T.O.).
1st off, I believe your estimate (by the way...where did you come up with a formula for that one?) is waaaay off. The idea that every player is constantly at odds with staff decisions would see a special section in the sports page. These aren't the Hadfields & the McCoys...

As far as the Hallowed T.O. ...

He's indefensible. How many "other" players feed the media their side of a disagreement & how many claim their relationship with said coach is over & that they don't "trust them"? Or are you implying that the media is keeping a lid on the same antics for other players? Yea...the media is my 1st choice to keep a secret....

Sooner or later you'll have to face it that T.O. is just an attention whore who needs chaos to exist. His antics are tailored & fabricated to fill a reporter's ear. I'm just surprised that you refuse to accept it, I guess...
Old 10-15-2006, 10:12 PM   #8
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

The honeymoon lasted a year in Philly before it blew up. It sure hasn't lasted that long in Dallas. Still, I think the media deserves some blame for reporting every little nuance about T.O. The media itself makes nothing into a big deal and it amplifies the situation.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 12:44 AM   #9
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
1st off, I believe your estimate (by the way...where did you come up with a formula for that one?) is waaaay off.
10 to the power of 1 base 9 divided by pi plus 5 minus 3 :thumbup:
How can anyone NOT think he is an attention whore - working out in your driveway... hmmmmmm
Old 10-16-2006, 01:01 AM   #10
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

What do you know, no blow-up? Caught 3 TD passes today and got some catchable passes to him.

Seriously, if I had his talent, but had a QB who throws like a blind man, I would probably be upset too

I think that the relationship between the Cowboys and T.O. will be good from here on out. Owen's got his point across and the Cowboys have seemed to listened. The more you get T.O. involved with good passes, the better your team is going to be.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:13 AM   #11
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

yeah, but dont forget this was Houston (a freebee game) - wait till another close game and a close loss... its only a matter of time before the nuclear meltdown!
Old 10-16-2006, 01:35 AM   #12
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Yep...T.O.'s happy so everyone should continue to spoon feed him....

He had 3 TDs on 5 catches for 45 yards. Problem is that he's not the only receiver out there & he's garnering 2 to 3 defenders cuz of his talent. One second he wants the ball no matter what & then when Bledsoe forces it & is INTed, he acts the fool.

The Cowboys haven't been giving Bledsoe the best protection as of late & during games, a lot of routes are already passed up in checkdowns only to open up after the protection has broken down. That's a lack of timing & execution, not ignoring T.O. Bledsoe doesn't react to pressure well as it is & T.O. adding more by ranting & raving is just going to make things worse. Anyone who thinks Bledsoe isn't trying to force the issue cuz he being influenced by Owens potential outbursts haven't followed T.O.'s career. It's happened before. It's all about him & only him.

Him scoring 3 TDs just gives him a reason to bellow some more & throw out more sounbites that the shark media laps up. Like Steve said...this was Houston. The Cowboys have a lot of work to do on both sides of the ball, not just the bandaid of throwing to Owens more.

Bledsoe has made his share of mistakes but on the whole has been OK under the circumstances. He spread the ball well today & is just lucky that those 5 catches for only 45 yards to Owens ended up in the end zone 3 times or instead of a win being discussed tomorrow, he'd be hearing how Owens is whining about being misused & ignored....
Old 10-16-2006, 01:42 AM   #13
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

I see your point, but I think this whole T.O. thing is being blown out of proportion. You see a lot of players go on rants on the sidelines. And from what I hear a lot of receivers will go off on their WR coach from time to time.

T.O. hasn't done anything wrong with the Cowboys so far. The things that he has done are the same things that a lot of WRs do. The only difference is that most WRs don't have a million reporters watching and reporting their every move.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 06:26 PM   #14
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Well, there are two things here. One is TO's reaction shows just how petty of an individual he can be by claiming there will be no more dialogue between he and the recievers coach. He needs to get over it. It is not as if Haley is the first coach to chew a player out for not showing up to practice/meetings on time.

Secondly, is that it was reported that Jerry Jones was going to punish Haley for the incident until Parcells had to step in and squash that idea. This is a bad precedent as now it potentially draws a line in the sand between Parcells' camp and TO/Jerry Jones. The speculation on TO/Parcells being together for a year may be accurate if too many more of these incidents occur. It could come down to Parcells telling Jones at the end of the year that either he or TO will have to go before next season.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 08:38 PM   #15
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis View Post
I see your point, but I think this whole T.O. thing is being blown out of proportion. You see a lot of players go on rants on the sidelines. And from what I hear a lot of receivers will go off on their WR coach from time to time.
Of course it's being blown out of proportion. The media is waitin' on every breath of T.O for a soundbite. Problem is, it's all in T.O.'s hands when it comes to him helpin' by mouthin' off. It's not just what's heard on the sidelines but what he adds after the fact. He knows exactly what he's doin' & he's just manipulating the press for attention.

Quote:
T.O. hasn't done anything wrong with the Cowboys so far. The things that he has done are the same things that a lot of WRs do. The only difference is that most WRs don't have a million reporters watching and reporting their every move.
Oh but yes he has. He's been fined twice for silly crap & then feigned innocence & played the victim. He should have let it go but he brings it up like a young child. This last episode that he feels "disrespected" by a coach who "yelled at him" sounds exactly like it is...immature.

& as far as him being scrutinized...yes he is...by the amount of talent he has & by the outrageous antics he pulls...He's a big boy & knows the effects his actions have on the team & teammates but he only cares about himself. Just having talent doesn't absolve him of his responsibility to the Cowboys...