Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Tennis

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2001, 10:25 AM   #1
coach tom
Grizzled Veteran

coach tom is on a distinguished road

Lets keep this thread going for the entire two weeks.

My first two days observations, in no particular order:

Jelena Dokic needs to find a coach and learn how to close out a match. She has the skills, but not the head. Dokic also wears the new FILA outfit much better than Jenny Capriati.

Linday Davenport has not improved her game enough and although the Dokic win was good, foreshadows a tough road and most likely she will not win here this year.

Monica Seles got a good and bad break. The almost walkover is good in that she saved a matches worth of energy. Its bad because she could use some practice on the Rebound Ace, which in my opinion bounces way too high this year.

The Australian Tennis Association should stop dicking around with the court surface. Some of the balls I saw so far bounce higher than on clay and there is little or no ability to play touch tennis on the surface this year. Pick a surface, pick a set of characteristics, and stick with it forever guys!

If the temp and weather hold, this surface favors Agassi, and hurts Sampras. Should Pete and Andre meet in the quarters as the seeding has it, Andre wins in four.

With the exception of Sampras and Tauziat, doesn't anyone play serve and volley anymore? (The Aussies may not have invented that style but they sure as hell perfected it over the years.)

ESPN's coverage sucks so far. about one hour of tennis per day. The only thing they got right is the Davenport-Dokic match.

I think I've said enough for today. What do you guys think?
Old 01-16-2001, 11:57 AM   #2
tennis4you

tennis4you is on a distinguished road
Default ?

A 2 week thread is going to get a little big for me, but I am game. I will be posting a lot in these 2 weeks, if you can keep up, cool.

Here is my favorite so far...

Carlos Moya, Spain, def. Marcelo Rios, Chile, 6-3, 6-3, 6-2.

Not looking good for a guy who claimed 2 weeks ago he could regain his number 1 ranking in the world. He did become #1 in the ATP champions race after the first week, but to prove to me he is any good he will have to be the real #1, not just in the race, especially not just the first week!!! You can garuntee he wil lbe far from #1 in the race after this tournament!!!

As far as everyone else, they seem to be on track. I am suprised that Jan Michael Gambil lost in his first round!!! I am sure that is more than disappointing for him!!!

Henman still volleys.

I was not impressed with Capriati's play the other day, she looked horrible, I am suprtised she even won! She just claimed she could hang with the Williams sisters if she was in better shape. If If If, not my favorite word. Her play looked horrible in round 1, if she keeps up that level she will be out the forst site of a good opponent!!!
Old 01-16-2001, 04:52 PM   #3
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Good luck in keeping this thing going for two weeks. Sorry, but I'm not watching the Open now, so I can't really add much - blame it on mid-terms. Keep it going and invite some of your tennis friends to help out!
Old 01-17-2001, 12:07 PM   #4
coach tom
Grizzled Veteran

Default More on the Open..

Well, you are right, Tim Henmen still volleys. Okay, that makes it three.

Capriati looked better last night, but not because she was playing better. Oremans was pathetic. She waited until the last few games of the second set to change her game (always change a losing game, never change a winning one) and start coming to the net on every opportunity. When she did, she won the majority of the points. Had she awoken a few hours earlier she probably would have won in three easy.

Although I cannot pronounce it, Seles opponent last night looked to have promise. And yes, she was quite attractive. I must say that the WTA tour may have the best looking players it has ever had and is one of the most marketable commodities if you are willing to sell it with looks and sex. Best of all, these "girls" can play tennis!

I don't know what all the hubbub is about with Venus outfit. Did everyone miss the fact that she is a women and has a chest? I personally think her design doesn't work on an aesthetic level. Interesting, but not a great looking or functional outfit. Martina Hingis one long one short sleeve thingy is interesting but looks like crap in white. Maybe if it were in black or red...

Jan Michael is going to be another Clark Graebner. High ranking Yank, never a real contender. Like a predicessor (Gene Mayer) his two sided two handed style will not stand up to the overall men's singles competition.

Andrew Ilie. Need I say more?

I noticed that the Rocket plays with a Pro Kennex. Wouldn't you think that a higher profile company would have signed him on?

Just when you think she's on the verge, Chanda Rubin does something to bring us back to earth. I would love to be her traveling coach and manager. Lots of potential which will probably never be realized.

ESPN coverage is a littel better. At least they are showing the matches which are the most interesting at the time. Three hours last night, which is pretty good.

No one bashed me on any message board this week. Big accomplishment so far.

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi...
Old 01-17-2001, 01:10 PM   #5
tennis4you

Default : )

O, do you need a bashing? lol

I still want to see Capriati play someone good!!! I want to see how she holds up. My guess is she will get to the round of 16 and stop there. Of coarse this is coming from a guy who didn't look at her draw.

I missed the Seles match, I always miss the good looking ones, I also haven't seen Venus' outfit, but by what you say, maybe I don't, lol...

I agree that Jan-Micael Gambill will never be a great. I am not a fan of the 2 handed style. I don't think it will ever get anyone far except Seles.

A lot of people struggles last night, Safin, Sampras, especially Ferrero, he struggled himself right of the the tournament. I was suprised to see him lose so soon!!! But i liek to see the top player eliminated to give Sampras a better chance.

What do you think about Sampras having the best odds to win this tournament? I was suprised to see he was favored. I don't think he is going to do it. I think Agassi, Safin and Kuerten all have better chances, but again, I hope I am DEAD wrong!!!

Agassi squished Paul last night, he had no mercy!!!
Old 01-18-2001, 03:00 PM   #6
tennis4you

Default Kuerten Falls Hard

Sampras has Kraijeck, Kuerten had Rudeski... Kuerten is something like 1-6 again Rudeski now.

Greg Rusedski defeated Kuerten 4-6, 6-4, 6-3, 2-6, 9-7 in a second-round match. I am suprised the the number 1 player in the world fell in a second round on a surface that should somewhat favor his game. Heck, he won the FO twice.

Well, with him out of the game that makes the draw more interesting. I figured he was a straight shot through to the semi's.
Old 01-18-2001, 06:39 PM   #7
coach tom
Grizzled Veteran

Default More ramblings

I predicted (on another site) yesterday that the Big G would beat Guga. Yes, this rubberized French Open should favor Guga, but Rusedski's serve is not nullified on this court and the fact that every ball is sitting up gave Greg more than a fighting chance.

I didn't realize that Guga's record against this cannon was so poor...

Everyone acts like Venus had no clue about the outfit. Hell, like every other outfit she wears, she helped design it! I'm also surprised that people didn't realize she had boobs before. It's not like you would have missed them in last years bikini/dress/spandex thing.

Why is it that all the great American men are in the same quarter of the draw? Todd and Pete must play, then Todd or Pete Play Andre. What the hell is that?

The more I see of the Nike pink, the more I think that I want next years WTA calendar to be a player per day. I have never seen this many good looking female athletes in one place ever (not even in figure skating, which may not even technically be a sport.)

Hingis/Seles vs. Capriati/Dokic will be one hell of a doubles match. Assuming the two M's beat the two J's, that will be a great warmup for the two M's vs. the Sistas. The rest of the doubles draw, on both sides ain't worth the time (and I love doubles.)

Whats all the hubub about Anna's outfit? If you saw the Chase, its the same outfit only instead of all black the top is bright yellow. I like it in the black better.

Kim Clijsters could wind up in the semi's. She's playing well and her only big test will be Lindsay in round 4. If Kimmy beats Lindsay, that opens the way for my long shot Anna to make the semi's and possibly the finals.

Did I miss something, or did ESPN switch to NHL 2nite and hockey in the middle of a Williams match? If King Richard finds out, look out!

Time for me to take more Lithium...
Old 01-18-2001, 07:43 PM   #8
tennis4you

Default cool...

That does suck that the Americans are on the sma ehalf of the draw. I really liek to see Todd Martin do well. I wish he woul dwin a slam so that some day he can say he did. He has worked hard! But there is no way he can get past the wall of Sampras and Agassi.

The Hingis/Seles vs Dokic/Davenport will be a great match, but I give it to Seles and Hingis. They may not have played much doubles together previous, but I think they can win this one. Heck, I didn't even know Davenport played doubles!!! I think that Dokic will be the weak link in all of that.

As far as Venus' outfit, she toned it down a little in er last match, there was barely a slit where before there was a large one. I could care less, I just want to see tennis.

Good job on your Guga prediction, I was predicting the opposite!!!

I don't see how Clisters will beat Davenport. I think the only one who will eliminate Hingis, Davenport, or the Williams sisters is one of the 4 i just mentioned.

pass me some of that Lithium!

Scott
Old 01-19-2001, 09:10 AM   #9
tennis4you

Default Sampras' matches are getting looooooong!

Pete's matches so far (3 of them) have all been longer than 3 sets, last nights was a 5 setter. I don't think he is ion the same shape as he used to be, I hope he can hang in there. We have seen him faulter due to exhaustion before in matches.

However, Agassi says he doesn't buy it, he says Sampras will still play good tennis. Injured, sick, tired, Agassi is quoted saying "you still have to beat him".

Next up for Pete is Todd Martin which should be a tough match. And I don't see a 3 setter out of that one either. I am not too worried about exhaustion there, it is his next challange if he gets to it, Agassi. Agassi's last opponent defaulted due to exhaustion. Agassi is the master at killing your legs and making you run. I hope that the adrenaline from playing Agassi will keep Sampras alive! That will not be a 3 setter either if Sampras is to win.

It will not be an easy road for Sampras if he is to win this AO! I hope he does though!!!
Old 01-19-2001, 10:47 AM   #10
tennis4you

Default capriati

Uh oh, Capriati is making me look bad, I saud she wasn't looking good and that she would lose if she didn't pick up her play. Looks like she is on cruise control now...

Jennifer Capriati (12) def. Virginia Ruano-Pascual, 6-0, 6-2

That was the 3rd round, and her second round looked about the same.

We will see when the real competition comes though. I wish her the best, I just don't think she has what it takes to win it.
Old 01-19-2001, 11:15 AM   #11
coach tom
Grizzled Veteran

Default Did I say Lithium? I meant Prozac...

Watching Pete play last night just confirms that he will announce after winning his eight Wimbledon that 2001 is his last full year of tennis. He had zero fire in his eyes, and he made more backhand mistakes than I have ever seen him make, even as a junior! Pete looked happy just to be sitting down on the changeovers.

I think that Pete may have to change rackets. Unlike me, Pete plays for big money, so using his 15 year old design racket won't cut it any more. Pete's backhand, never his strongest shot, has no crunch anymore. Pete could really use the boost of some of this hyper technology at Wilson (seeing as he has a super long endorsement contract and will be using Wilson till long after he retires) or maybe some of the new Rollers technology. Pete was raised on wood and aluminum, so his fundamentals are sound. All it will take is some adjustment to the new trampoline cannons, which Pete could do well before the French starts. Hey Pete, I suggest the Hypercarbon Pro Staff 7.6 Rollers, customized to your weight and balance specs. You will still get some of that old time feel, but you will be amazed at how all of your shots and serves are untouchable, like in your "youth" (I can't believe that a guy who's not over 35 is out of his "youth". That makes me a senior citizen I guess.)

Kim Clijsters looks amazing (tennis that is). Hey, you heard it here first, Kimmy will beat Lindsay, in two. It may be 4 and 4, but Clijsters will register her first huge major tournament win. Then with any luck she'll lose to the beautiful Anna and the Russian bombshell will make it to at least the semi's.

Chela? I thought that was some kind of red wine...

Hey everyone, wake up. Lleyton won't win it. Enjoy it now while it lasts...

Go Yevgeny, Go Yevgeny, Go Yevgeny, Go!

The British Lawn Tennis Association toasting Rusedski? That's like the Queen shopping at Kmart...

What the hell does the UTA on Barbara Schett's dress stand for?

Hey, did I just cheer for two Russians? I was raised during the Cold War. They are my mortal enemies. CCCP and red stand for beat them at any cost. If you cheer for them, you must be a commy...

Am I going insane or does Damir Dokic kind of remind you of a younger George Steinbrenner mixed with a large dose of the Iron Sheik...

Why hasn't ESPN or NBC called me yet to work with Cliff "You all forgot I'm from South Africa" Drysdale and Bud "he's my idol but you won't catch me in those pants" Collins?

Dick Enberg, where are you?

Oh, and Pam Shriver and Mary Joe Fernandez together as commentators is as boring as Pam and Mary playing doubles. They are both jealous of Anna's "Portfolio".

Yes Dr. Laura, I'll take that Prozac now...

Old 01-19-2001, 12:37 PM   #12
tennis4you

Default yummy yummy prozac...

Just pass it along, I can use some.

I am not sure if Pete will announce any retirement. I am almost doubtful to say he will win Winbledon again. He better strike now and win this AO or you never know what might happen. As far as his racquet, I think what he has works good. If he wanted more power he could string it at less than 82 pounds. Don't forget, it was that backhand that took down Cedric Pioline in the U.S. Open final back in (92?). So it is a weapon, it just doesn't compare to his bomb of a forehand. If I recall correctly, he knowed 2 backhands for winners in the second set of the Wimbledon final against Rafter last year to make his comeback. However, I did not get to see him play yesterday, O si iwll stop here on the backhand praise. I just wish mine was that good.

Clisters vs. Davenport, I still say it will take a Hingis or Williams to beat Davenport here! Hingis is just killing her opponents, this is like a vacation for her so far!!!

No Yevgeny, No Yevgeny, No Yevgeny, No! I liek the guy, but I don't see him winning. Then again, I didn't see Kuerten lossing.

"Hey everyone, wake up. Lleyton won't win it. Enjoy it now while it lasts... " No kidding!!! I don;t think he has what it takes to win a major yet, and I wonder if he ever will.

ESPN hasn't called you yet because they called me first, lol.

Pam Shriver and Mary Joe Fernandez, try the mute button, it may help. :)
Old 01-19-2001, 11:24 PM   #13
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Well, to be honest, I usually NEVER look at this board because tennis doesn't really appeal to me that much, but since I had some time, I thought I would check it out.

2 things I wanted to say:

1) A while ago, I noticed, there was a thread saying, "Kournikova still can't win." Well, she's still in it and going into the fourth round (or fifth?)!... could this be it!?

2) I need to find some pics of that Venus outfit, because I heard about it on a sportscast, but I was just catching the end of it, an someone mentioned it here, but I still haven't seen it!!... what did it look like?
Old 01-20-2001, 12:05 AM   #14
tennis4you

Default : )~

Kournikova is headed into the 4th round I believe, and (in my opinion) there is no way she can win this one. She is not ready mentally or physcially. The post you saw the heading for was because she got to the finals of what wasn't even a WTA tour event and she still lost...

As far as the outfit Venus is wearing, it just has a horizontal slit across the chest that is somewhat revealing.

Old 01-20-2001, 10:17 AM   #15
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default Re: : )~

Quote:
Originally posted by tennis4you
Kournikova is headed into the 4th round I believe, and (in my opinion) there is no way she can win this one. She is not ready mentally or physcially.
Oh, really? She'll never win if no one gives her a chance!
Closed Thread