Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 11-05-2006, 03:59 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default Week 11 Top Ten...

Ohio State and Michigan got a scare but are still the best IMO...

1. Ohio State
2. Michigan
3. Wisconsin
4. Southern Cal
5. Texas
6. Louisville
7. Notre Dame
8. Oklahoma
9. West Virginia
10. Rutgers
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 05:48 PM   #2
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

1. Ohio State
2. Louisville
3. Auburn
4. Florida
5. Michigan
6. LSU
7. Texas
8. West Virginia
9. USC
10. Arkansas
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 05:57 PM   #3
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

1.Ohio State
2. Louisville
3. Michigan
4. Rutgers
5. Boise State
6. Texas
7. Arkansas
8. USC
9. Florida
10. West Virginia

Sorry, but imo, if you have a loss at this point of the year, you don't deserve to be in front of the guys that don't, I don't give a damn who they have or have not played.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 05:57 PM   #4
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

Buck, I can't help but notice you have no SEC teams in there.

Here's mine:
1. OSU
2. Michigan
3. Florida
4. Louisville
5. Auburn
6. Texas
7. USC
8. LSU
9. WVU
10. Arkansas

Mike, Boise State in the Top 5 are you on medication?
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 06:46 PM   #5
The Executioner
All-Star Player

The Executioner is on a distinguished road

good college football season as always. will check in with a rankings.
buckeyefan, just to let you know, you have Wisconse at number three and no SEC team in the top 10.

1. Ohio State
2. Auburn
3. Michigan
4. Florida
5. Louisville
6. USC
7. Texas
8. Arkansas
9. California
10. LSU

bring on the Trojans, Longhorns too!
The Executioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 07:02 PM   #6
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
buckeyefan, just to let you know, you have Wisconse at number three and no SEC team in the top 10.
He knows, it is hilarious that he does, so I certainly don't begrudge you pointing it out, but he without a doubt knows this. I highly doubt he can defend it, which is why I assume he constantly ducks out when called on it.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:17 PM   #7
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Graham View Post
He knows, it is hilarious that he does, so I certainly don't begrudge you pointing it out, but he without a doubt knows this. I highly doubt he can defend it, which is why I assume he constantly ducks out when called on it.
Their SOS isn't as strong as the mighty Pac-10.

1. Ohio State
2. Michigan
3. Louisville
4. Texas
5. Arkansas
6. Auburn
7. Florida
8. Cal
9. Southern Cal
10. LSU
Old 11-05-2006, 10:08 PM   #8
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

The funniest thing about that is that he uses the SOS argument to artificially prop up the Pac-10, but it would hurt the Badgers, so I imagine he's very conflicted there.

Aside from that, SOS is a link in the chain, it is never...evvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvver a statistic that should be used on its face. Buckeye has a huge flaw with how he uses SOS, and I'm not doing this just to rip buckeye, I know I've hinted at this a couple times. But, his logic is really, really bad on strength of schedule.

For starters, it makes no sense to add up the SOSs of all the teams in a conference and then average it and boom...that's the toughest conference. This makes sense on no level.

The main reason is that conferences level out because you're constantly playing each other. For instance, of the 11 Big Ten teams, 6 of them will likely have 6 wins or more. Maybe 7 if Indiana beats Purdue. The SEC will have something like 7-8. The Pac 10 will have 6. The point of bringing this up is that teams 5 through 7 in the Big Ten, Purdue, Indiana, Iowa wouldn't get 6 wins if they were to replace a team in the SEC. Conference play allows teams to generally slip into an arc of Conference wins.

From there, you have to look at the depth of these Conferences. If a Conference is deep, there is less of a chance that the teams at the top run the table or finish with 1 loss. The Big Ten is going to finish with an undefeated team and 2 teams with 1 loss. The Pac-10 will be similar. The SEC won't. This is not because of SOS or anything like that, it has to do with conference depth...BUT...this factors in to SOS and the Pac-10 and Big Ten teams have their SOS artificially propped up.

I also think buckeye might be using one of those preseason SOSs, but there's so many out there, I really can't make that claim 100%, but it is my hunch. Those are even sillier because they are predicated on myth.

Strength of Schedule needs a huge tweak if it is to be used as a stand alone statistic. I'm not sure if I would be opposed to turning the current SOS analysis (opponents win% and opponentsopponents win%) into a state called schedule assessment, and use it in the BCS formula as normal, but then creating another statistic, SOS, that would add a team's position in the BCS into the equation somehow, then churn out the BCS once again. I don't know if that is the FIX, I haven't seen it in action, but it would make more sense in theory.

But, then again, SOS doesn't need to be fixed, since most people don't take it for more than what it is anyway. Buckeye clearly does, to his disadvantage.

Non-Conference SOS is a stat to consider, though. Any SOS including conference games is just silly, though. Just take non-conference SOS and then look at the actual strength of the conference and you'll be better off. The SEC teams will have weaker non-conference schedules, so, you balance that with how the conference is in a given season.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:21 PM   #9
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by themush View Post
Buck, I can't help but notice you have no SEC teams in there.
Here's the deal mush...

1. Ohio State...no problem right?

2. Michigan...no problem right?

3. Wisconsin...senior QB, second leading rusher behind Wolfe, best lines (when taking both into account) in the nation, and a road loss by 14 points to a team that I had as #1 up until this week.

4. Southern Cal...strong SOS, lost on the road with many injuries, and playing the best conference in the nation...IMO.

5. Texas...home loss to #1 otherwise it has been domination.

6. Louisville...undefeated.

7. Notre Dame...home loss to #2 Michigan, still with a strong SOS despite it going down in recent weeks.

8. Oklahoma...neutral loss to Texas, road loss to Oregon (note: no SEC team went on the road to a high-ranking BCS school this year...which means Oklahoma would have only 1 loss by "SEC rules" despite the loss of their QB and partial loss of Peterson)

9. West Virginia...road loss to an undefeated...this is basically the same team that spanked the SEC champ from last year which means I can take them or leave them over an SEC team...and I just happen to be taking them right now.

10. Rutgers...undefeated, nice rushing attack, good defense.

My main problem here is that I firmly believe you have to have Arkansas as your #1 SEC team since they are the only undefeated in conference play. But they lost to a team with one loss while Wisconsin, Notre Dame, West Virginia and Texas all lost to a team with no losses. In all fairness, if we expanded the rankings I'd probably have Arkansas at #11.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:43 AM   #10
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
9. West Virginia...road loss to an undefeated...this is basically the same team that spanked the SEC champ from last year which means I can take them or leave them over an SEC team...and I just happen to be taking them right now.
The 2005 season is over. Deal with it. Trust me, I wish it was still 2005 but it isn't. What West Virginia did to the '05 Georgia team should have no impact on the rankings at this point in the season.

Please post the SOS rankings you use to develop your rankings. SOS is a worthless claim without anything to back it up with.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:40 AM   #11
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78
5. Texas...home loss to #1 otherwise it has been domination.
It took a game-winning field goal for Texas to defeat a fairly mediocre Nebraska team, and an impressive rally from a 21-point defecit for Texas to beat another mediocre team in Texas Tech to continue their winning ways. And that all occured within the last three weeks.

Maybe I need to look up the definition of the word "domination" again, but I don't think Texas has been displaying it all season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
The 2005 season is over. Deal with it. Trust me, I wish it was still 2005 but it isn't. What West Virginia did to the '05 Georgia team should have no impact on the rankings at this point in the season.
I couldn't agree more.

I mean, I don't see Nebraska getting a favorable ranking in the polls based off of their win over Michigan last season.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:24 PM   #12
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post

Please post the SOS rankings you use to develop your rankings. SOS is a worthless claim without anything to back it up with.
I agree that the Sugar Bowl has no impact on the rankings this year. My point here is that I believe the Big East is a worthy BCS conference and used historical evidence to back that up. Evidence where the Big East beat the SEC since the two conferences haven't played each other this year.

My SOS rankings are from Jeff Sagarin of USA Today. SOS plays a role in my decision making. It isn't the whole basis of my poll. I believe Sagarin is credible for several reasons...

1. If you believe in the BCS you must acknowledge Sagarin because he is a hand of the system.

2. Jeff Sagarin is an agent of a poll that determined national champions in prior years.

3. If a playoff ever comes to fruition it is my belief Sagarin and/or the entity he now represents will play a factor.

I have everyone covered there. The pro-BCS people, the old poll people, and the playoff people. The only way to discredit him is to be a staunch traditionalist (as I am) and not recognize national champions at all.

Anyway, the basis of my post was to show that I believe all the teams I have ahead of Arkansas/any SEC team deserve their ranking. I'd be more than happy to go over any specific team that you'd like and why they deserve to be in over Arkansas or any other SEC team.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:34 PM   #13
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

I don't think anyone is going to try to discredit Jeff Sagarin. But, it's how people misuse his data, that is the problem.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:06 PM   #14
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
Ohio State and Michigan got a scare but are still the best IMO...

1. Ohio State
2. Michigan
3. Wisconsin
4. Southern Cal
5. Texas
6. Louisville
7. Notre Dame
8. Oklahoma
9. West Virginia
10. Rutgers
Your Big Ten/anti-SEC bias is hilarious. Yes, Wisconsin only lost to Michigan away, but that is the ONLY ranked opponent they will face this year. Florida lost to Auburn away by less than two touchdowns, and btw beat three ranked opponents. If Wisconsin is so great, why are they still only ranked 14th or 15th depending on the poll? Oh, I think I answered my own question....

USC lost to an unranked opponent, and has beat only one so far this year. You don't even have Cal on your list, and they are undefeated in the "mighty" Pac 10........

Notre Dame.....don't even get me started. Beat one ranked opponent, got whipped by another the next week at home, and that's it. USC will probably have two more losses by the time they meet on Nov 25....

West Virginia......

Rutgers....I will add them to my list if they beat Louisville this Thurs, but before that, nope. Heck, Wisconsin should be ranked before them, even with their joke of a schedule......

IMO, none of these teams I mentioned should be ranked before Auburn, Florida & Arkansas.........
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 05:09 PM   #15
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedon1970 View Post
Your Big Ten/anti-SEC bias is hilarious. Yes, Wisconsin only lost to Michigan away, but that is the ONLY ranked opponent they will face this year. Florida lost to Auburn away by less than two touchdowns, and btw beat three ranked opponents. If Wisconsin is so great, why are they still only ranked 14th or 15th depending on the poll? Oh, I think I answered my own question....

USC lost to an unranked opponent, and has beat only one so far this year. You don't even have Cal on your list, and they are undefeated in the "mighty" Pac 10........

Notre Dame.....don't even get me started. Beat one ranked opponent, got whipped by another the next week at home, and that's it. USC will probably have two more losses by the time they meet on Nov 25....

West Virginia......

Rutgers....I will add them to my list if they beat Louisville this Thurs, but before that, nope. Heck, Wisconsin should be ranked before them, even with their joke of a schedule......
Name the specific team you believe deserves to be in over the ten I have in there and I will go thru it point by point using that team and all ten teams I have listed.