Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 12-06-2010, 09:38 PM   #1
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Hypocrisy? Ravens' McClain and Ngata Fined, But Not Bucs' Freeman

Jameel McClain's fine for his concussion-producing hit on Heath Miller = $40,000

Haloti Ngata's fine for his nose-breaking hit on Ben Roethisberger = $15,000

Josh Freeman's fine for launching himself into Brent Grimes five steps after Grimes ran out of bounds with a game-sealing interception = $0

The inherent double standard = Priceless?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:49 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

There is a human element here that cannot be overlooked. The idea of using replay to evaluate hits during games is ludicrous, we'd spend half the time watching replays. But I don't see why they can't get things right when assessing fines after the games. There's no doubt the system isn't perfect, but it's a step in the right direction.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:38 AM   #3
Anthony

At the absolute least, Freeman should have gotten ejected for what he did - which would have had no competitive effect on the game, as Tampa Bay had no timeouts left and the Falcons simply ran out the clock.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:51 AM   #4
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

Get off your soapbox Anthony. He was fined and why would he be ejected? He did nothing that isn't done numerous times every Sunday.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:56 PM   #5
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

NAR(cotics) is on a distinguished road

Seriously I see no problem here Anthony. Everything with you is some kind of great tragic injustice or crime against humanity. There are probably several hits made each Sunday that could get players ejected. They don't.

This is football, its not an absurd crime against humanity...they assessed the situation and made a judgement, one that I agree with.

My only championship this year....college soccer. :thumbdown:
NAR(cotics) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:05 AM   #6
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by themush View Post
Get off your soapbox Anthony. He was fined and why would he be ejected? He did nothing that isn't done numerous times every Sunday.

But what is a forum like is if it is not a "soapbox"? And part of my "job" here is to generate traffic - and when was the last time you posted anything on this particular board?

So there.

And a $5,000 fine was announced on Friday - three days after I started this thread.

But my argument is that what's good for the goose is good for the gander - and not only fining policy, but the rule book itself, needs to reflect that: A chop block should carry a loss of down as well as the existing 15-yard penalty, as should offensive pass interference (plus the 10 yards already enforced; indeed the latter is actually done in college football).

And hey, if I were Mike Smith, I'd have had Matt Ryan take a shot at the end zone after what Freeman pulled - or maybe attempted a walk-off field goal - just to send a message that I protect my players: That's what Giants' head coach John McVay did in a game against the 49ers in 1977 after a San Francisco player committed a very similar foul to Freeman's in essentially the same situation at the very end of the game. McVay had Joe Pisarcik throw a pass into the end zone, in an attempt to rub it in; after the game, McVay quipped, "If they want to be sore losers, I figured I'd give them something to be really sore about" (the pass was incomplete, by the way).

Last edited by Anthony; 12-12-2010 at 10:23 AM.