Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 08-22-2007, 03:29 PM   #1
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough
Default My Take on the NFC South and the NFC West

NFC SOUTH
1.New Orleans Saints-QB Drew Brees is da man. Throwing for 4,418 yards and 26 TD's in 2006. Led the NFL with 41 completions of 25 yards or more. NO ranked first in offense in the NFL in 2006. And boy does he have the receivers to throw to. Look for WR Devry Henderson to catch a bunch this season with Joe Horn gone. I'm excited about Rookie WR Robert Meachem out of Tennessee. He's 6-3 211 pounds. You can't forget about Marques Colston. Boy what a rookie year he had in 2006. Catching 70 passes for 1,038 yards and eight TD's. He missed about three games with injuries. Terrence copper can be a big threat too. Boy this receiving corp is scary to most opponents. Then in the backfield u have Reggie Bush and Deuce McAllister. Bush is also a receiving threat. Catching 88 passes in 2006. McAllister rushed for 1,057 yards. Now you rookie RB Antonio Pittman out of Ohio St. He has great potential. On the offensive line you have Pro-Bowler LT Jamaal Brown. I like RT Jon Stinchcomb too.
The Saints defense is quite decent. DE's Charles Grant and Will Smith had 10.5 sacks between them. New orlean's linebacking corp is very good. Scott Shanle led the defense with 97 tackles. NO added Cincinnati's LB Brian Simmons to the lineup. In the secondary CB Roman Harper should be healthy for the start of the season. He was very impressive until his season ending injury last year. They also added Jason David from Indianapolis.
NO acquired FGK Olindo Mare from Miami.(Facts-13 consecutive wins for NO when McAllister rushed for at least 65 yards. Also 78 points the Saints scored in the last two minutes of either half last year, the most in the NFL).

2.Carolina Panthers-Look for Carolina to challenge the Saints in 2007 for the division. They added QB David Carr from texas. I think he will strive well with Carolina. But Jake Delhomme will get the starting nod until he falters. WR Steve Smith is the go to guy on this offense. Catching 83 passes for 1,166 yards and eight TD's in 2006. I like their selection of rookie WR Dwayne Jarrett from USC. He has all the material of being a great one. What the Panthers need is a strong running game. I don't know if DeShaun Foster is that man to help them. He rushed for 897 yards and only three TD's last season. Maybe DeAngelo Williams could be that man.
As for the offensive line they are switching to zone blocking schemes. I have no idea what that is. haha I also like their selection of rookie center Ryan Kalil out of USC. LT Travelle Wharton returns from injuries suffered in 2006.
Carolina has the defense. Ranking seventh in the NFL in 2006. DE Julius Peppers leads the way. Had 13 sacks in 2006. DT Kris Jenkins is a Pro Bowler. MLB Dan Morgan is coming back this season. You gotta like their selection of rookie LB Jon Beason out of Michigan and DE Charles Johnson from Georgia. Safety Mike Minter has the most experience in the secondary for this team. FGK John Karsay is very good. He has 47 consecutive field goals of less than 40 yards heading into the 2007 season.(Facts-18-12 Carolina's divisional record since the NFC South was created in 2002.

3.Atlanta Falcons-The Wicked Witch of the South is gone. Talking about coach-killer Michael Vick. Joey Harrington replaces him. I think Harrington will do fair in Atlanta. Just needs some good receivers to throw to. WR Joe Horn was acquired from NO, but I think he has seen his better days. Michael Jenkins needs to step up bigtime. Jenkins caught 39 passes for 436 yards and seven TD's in 2006. Atlanta does have a great tight end in Alge Crumpler who caught 56 passes for 780 yards and eight TD's last season. Not sure about rookie WR Laurent Robinson and his abilities. He's out of Illinois St. I've seen some great receivers come out of small colleges. Atlanta did rank number one in rushing last season. RB Warrick Dunn rushed for 1,140 yards and scored four TD's in 2006. Jerious Norwood is capable of gaining over 1,000 yards. Atlanta's offensive line ain't bad. They selected rookie Justin Blalock from Texas. On defense Atlanta spent their first pick on rookie DE Jamaal Anderson out of Arkansas. DT Grady Jackson still has some good games in him. LB Keith Brooking led team with 136 tackles in 2006. Safety Lawyer Milloy had 98 tackles. DT Rod Coleman led defense with six sacks. I like rookie CB Chris Houston from Arkansas.
Atlanta also acquired DT Anthony Bryant from Detroit. Bryant played his college ball for Alabama.(Facts-Joe Horn has 7,622 total receiving yards isince 2000.)

4.Tampa Bay-Poor TB doesn't stand a chance of winning anything important in 2007. Why play I say? They will be led by the capable Jeff Garcia at QB. He did lead Philadelphia to the postseason in 2006. But TB is not Philadelphia. He has Joey Galloway to throw to, who caught 62 passes last season. WR Michael Clayton has been a bust so far. Maybe this will be his year. WR Maurice Stovall does have potential. RB Cadillac Williams has great potential, but really hasn't shown it yet. Selecting rookie RB Kenneth Darby from Alabama was not impressive. The offense ranked 29th in the NFL in 2006.
I did like their pick of rookie OT Aaron Sears from Tennessee. They also acquired Jeff Petitgout from the NY Giants. I also like their selection of rookie DE Gaines Adams from Clemson. I really like them acquring June Cato from Indianapolis. Great pick up here. Had 142 tackles in 2006. WOW. LB Derrick Brooks led defense with 121 tackles in 2006. In the secondary, Pro-Bowler Ronde Barber returns. The defense ranked 17th in 2006.(Facts-100 regular season wins by TB in 12 seasons since Malcolm Glazer purchased the franchise on January 16, 1995.)

NFC West
1.Arizona Cardinals-Yes another upset to win a division in 2007. I love their offense. Second year QB Matt Leinart will show his good stuff in 2007. He has great receivers to throw to and a good rusher in Edgerrin James. WR Anquan Boldin led the team with 83 receptions in 2006 and had 1,203 receiving yards. WR Larry Fitzgerald caught 69 passes. I like their TE Leonard Pope. He's 6-8 and 265 pounds. They also got another good receiver in Rookie WR Steve Breaston from Michigan. RB James will be more comfortable this season and rush for over 1,500 yards. Rookie OT Levi Brown out of Penn St will help the offensive line a lot. Acquired center Al Johnson from Dallas.
On defense rookie DT Alan Branch out of Michigan should start. I like LB Buster Davis from Florida St too. Pro Bowler SS Adrian Wilson returns this season. Safety Terrence Holt comes over from Detroit. Arizona was 4-2 in their division in 2006.( Facts-Scored 104 points in the first quarter. Highest in the NFL.)

2.Seattle-The key for this team to win is the health of RB Shaun Alexander. If completely healthy he could gain from 1,800 to 2,000 yards. QB Matt Hasselbeck is a good QB. This club needs a big time receiver. Deion Branch needs a big season. He caught 53 passes in 2006. WR D.J. Hackett has great potential. Maybe rookie WR Courtney Taylor out of Auburn can help. OT Floyd Womack needs to really assert himself this season.
This team ranked 19th in offense last season.
On defense they acquired Patrick Kearney from Atlanta. They also spent their first pick on rookie CB Josh Wilson out of Maryland. Middle LB Lofa Tatupu had 122 tackles in 2006.(Facts-Last season Seattle receivers dropped 11.8 of their passes.) FGK josh Brown is very capable.)

3.St. Louis-I like QB Marc Bulger. Threw for 4,301 yards and 24 TD's in 2006. He was sacked 49 times though. RB Stephen Jackson is a good good running back. Rushed for 1,528 yards in 2006. WR Torry Holt is one of the best. Catching 93 passes for 1,188 yards and 10 TD's. Issac Bruce caught 74. Jackson caught an amazing 90 passes. The Rams had a lot of injuries to their offensive line in 2006. RG Ritchie incognito is a power blocker. LT Orlando Pace is very capable.
On defense rookie DE Adam Carriker was their first pick out of Nebraska. CB Jonathan Wade from Tennessee was their third pick. DT La'Roi Glover needs to return to his glory days.
The Rams acquired return man Dante Hall from KC. FGK Jeff Wilkins kicked 32 of 37 field goals in 2006.(Facts-29-Drives that lasted five minutes or more last season-led NFL).

4.San Francisco-SF beat Seattle twice last season. QB Alex Smith is going to be a quality starter for years I feel. RB Frank Gore is a monster. Had 1,695 yards rushing in 2006. RB Michael Robinson of Penn St can run well. SF acquired Darrell Jackson from Seattle and Ashliey Lelie from Atlanta. TE Vernon Davis returning from broken leg. Offensive line has some questions that need answers.
Selecting Rookie LB Patrick Willis was an excellent choice. DT Aubrayo Franklin acquired from Baltimore. LB Tully Banta came over from New England. Had 5.5 sacks with NE in 2006. So this team is trying to put a defense on the field. CB Walt Harris had eight picks last season. They ranked 26th in 2006.(Facts-Committed 32 turnovers which opponents converted into a league leading 126 points.)
Old 08-23-2007, 11:12 AM   #2
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

Surely someone has their take on these divisions?
Old 08-23-2007, 11:16 AM   #3
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Good stuff Bama.

Personally, I know very little about the NFC.

The only thing I know about the NFC is that they are inferior to the AFC.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:26 AM   #4
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

That was a low blow my friend.:lol:
Old 08-23-2007, 11:30 AM   #5
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Sorry...

But it's true

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:58 AM   #6
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bama4256
Poor TB doesn't stand a chance of winning anything important in 2007. Why play I say? They will be led by the capable Jeff Garcia at QB.
And a team led by Joey Harrington does stand a chance of winning? I would flip-flop your picks on Atlanta and Tampa Bay, but I agree that both will finish at the bottom of the South.

I like your selections for the West, although if Seattle can get their offense to produce once again, they could be the division favorite. I also think San Francisco could finish ahead of St. Louis, given the Rams's tough road schedule this season (at Baltimore, at New Orleans, at Cincinnati).
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:50 PM   #7
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

The Stars and the Heavens say this will be Joey's year. Not argue with them and not me.:lol:
Old 08-24-2007, 06:57 PM   #8
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

The Saints are going to have trouble matching last year. They only played a handful of opponents with winning records last year and this year have a more brutal schedule. Their defense is a big liability. I do like Leinart and think the Cardinals could end like 9-7 this year. Don't sleep on SF and the improved Alex Smith, either. Honestly, I have no idea who'll win the NFC West.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:51 AM   #9
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

I'm very interested to see how NO plays against Indianapolis this coming week. That will tell me a lot about them. They should have a great offense even better than last season's.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:52 AM   #10
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bama4256 View Post
4.Tampa Bay-Poor TB doesn't stand a chance of winning anything important in 2007. Why play I say? They will be led by the capable Jeff Garcia at QB. He did lead Philadelphia to the postseason in 2006. But TB is not Philadelphia. He has Joey Galloway to throw to, who caught 62 passes last season. WR Michael Clayton has been a bust so far. Maybe this will be his year. WR Maurice Stovall does have potential. RB Cadillac Williams has great potential, but really hasn't shown it yet. Selecting rookie RB Kenneth Darby from Alabama was not impressive. The offense ranked 29th in the NFL in 2006.
I did like their pick of rookie OT Aaron Sears from Tennessee. They also acquired Jeff Petitgout from the NY Giants. I also like their selection of rookie DE Gaines Adams from Clemson. I really like them acquring June Cato from Indianapolis. Great pick up here. Had 142 tackles in 2006. WOW. LB Derrick Brooks led defense with 121 tackles in 2006. In the secondary, Pro-Bowler Ronde Barber returns. The defense ranked 17th in 2006.(Facts-100 regular season wins by TB in 12 seasons since Malcolm Glazer purchased the franchise on January 16, 1995.)

What in the world???? You actually asked why should the Bucs play the games?????

Did you watch any of the Bucs' preseason games? Jeff Garcia has actually played well during the preseason. He is one of the more mobile (albeit aging) QBs on the team. The O-line has definitely improved from last year, and should give Garcia & the RBs plenty of opportunities to make plays. Yes, Caddy underachieved last year, but that was mostly due to the Bucs constantly having to play catch-up by calling a majority of pass plays plus the ineffectiveness of the O-line. Rookie Kenneth Darby has also played very well in the preseason.

My only concerns based on performance in the preseason is the defensive line, but as Gaines Adams gets more experience, he will be a beast.

This is a team, with it's easier schedule, that I could see at .500 at the end of the year, which is a vast improvement over last season.
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 01:18 PM   #11
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

Sorry no Super Bowl for TB or postseason!