Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-05-2007, 04:36 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default Latin players easier to control than blacks?

Quote:
The percentage of African-Americans playing Major League Baseball is at an all-time low and Gary Sheffield says he has a theory why that's the case.

In an interview with GQ magazine that's currently on newsstands, the typically outspoken Tigers designated hitter said Latin players have replaced African-Americans as baseball's most prevalent minority because they are easier to control.

"I called it years ago. What I called is that you're going to see more black faces, but there ain't no English going to be coming out. … [It's about] being able to tell [Latin players] what to do -- being able to control them," he told the magazine.

"Where I'm from, you can't control us. You might get a guy to do it that way for a while because he wants to benefit, but in the end, he is going to go back to being who he is. And that's a person that you're going to talk to with respect, you're going to talk to like a man.

"These are the things my race demands. So, if you're equally good as this Latin player, guess who's going to get sent home? I know a lot of players that are home now can outplay a lot of these guys."
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2891875

A bunch of BS...
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote