Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Basketball

Old 03-22-2011, 01:09 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default March Madness 2011

We're down to the Sweet 16. I'm really, really loving the tourney this year, with all games being televised in HD. How did it take them this long to get it right? Also enjoying seeing Charles and Kenny doing college analysis.

We have OSU and Kentucky Friday night. UK can win this, trust me. If we hit our threes and make someone other than Sullinger beat us, watch out. OSU is, however, the best team in the country by a good margin. OSU wants to push the tempo, and UK excels at that, so UK is the type of team that can beat them.

Marquette is a surprise team as a No. 11 and they battle UNC. How about the Big Least? Only two teams out of 11 left. What a joke.

I'm also looking forward to Duke and Arizona. Then there's VSU and FSU, two double-digit seeds. Who would have thunk it? Lastly, I'm pulling for Florida to beat BYU and Jimmer. SEC, baby!

How are your brackets looking?
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:34 AM   #2
chiefsfan27
Paul Foeller

chiefsfan27 is on a distinguished road

My bracket looks like crap. I was doing well the first day, but from the second day on it was awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
UK can win this, trust me.
No doubt Kentucky can win. Anybody can be beaten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
If we hit our threes and make someone other than Sullinger beat us, watch out.
I don't agree that it's that simple. Sullinger is good, to be sure, but he hasn't led the team in scoring in either tournament game so far. And looking at OSU's season, he generally doesn't. He may average more points than anyone else on the team, but generally one or more of OSU's perimeter players outscores him.

The key to beating the Buckeyes is actually guarding the perimeter. William Buford, David Lighty, and Jon Diebler are all capable of 30 point games if left unguarded at times. If I was Kentucky, I'd keep rotating fresh bodies into the game to keep the defensive pressure up on the outside, and let Sullinger do what he will. He's good, but when the guards on his team have shown that they're capable of shooting as well as 14/15 from beyond the arc, he should be the least of Kentucky's worries.

I would actually try to make Sullinger be the one to beat me if I was John Calipari.

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall."
Vince Lombardi
chiefsfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:10 AM   #3
Marc
Administrator

Nice post, Paul. And guess what, Kentucky pulled off the win over the overall No. 1! Now it's on to North Carolina, whom only beat us by 2 in December. It's crazy, but Kentucky's role player veterans, Liggins and Harrellson, won this game, as the star freshman struggled.

How about Butler? In the Final Four again. What a job Brad Stevens is doing.

Final Four almost set!!!
Old 03-28-2011, 02:14 PM   #4
chiefsfan27
Paul Foeller

chiefsfan27 is on a distinguished road

Jared Sullinger had 21 points and 16 rebounds, but the Buckeyes lost. Again, I thought all season long that he, while certainly valuable in his own way, wasn't as important to Ohio State's success as their perimeter players.

Good news is that while letting Sullinger go crazy may have worked this year, it likely won't next year. If Sullinger does in fact come back, and I think he will, he'll be one of only two big men on the starting roster.

Deshaun Thomas will be a starter next year, and while not huge, he's certainly not small either. He can play down low and from beyond the arc. Those two with Aaron craft will be a lethal combo.

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall."
Vince Lombardi

Last edited by chiefsfan27; 03-28-2011 at 02:37 PM.
chiefsfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:56 PM   #5
Marc
Administrator

I just wrote a long post, but my damn hotel Internet redirected me to a login page for access and I lost it.

UK vs. UConn, VCU vs. Butler. UK vs. Butler in Final, Kentucky wins in Coach Cal's best coaching performance of his career, cementing #8 for the Cats and making this the best year in sports in my life (with the Packers also winning). VCU is not going to win, they got hot from three and aren't very good. No way Kemba Walker beats Kentucky again, UK is more balanced and hotter now.

mush, buckeye, thoughts?!
Old 03-30-2011, 10:26 PM   #6
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

I like Kentucky's chance too. But against Butler they better no get cold from beyond the arc.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:03 PM   #7
Marc
Administrator

Shit. Kentucky didn't bring their A-game last night, and got beat by a point.

So it's Butler vs. UConn for the title. I will majorly be pulling for Butler, as I'm not a fan of Jim Calhoun. UConn finished NINTH in the Big East at 9-9. It is shocking that this is the title matchup. One-and-done is killing the college game...
Old 04-06-2011, 07:01 PM   #8
Marc
Administrator

Congrats to UConn on their win. I feel like this year's Final Four was really mediocre. That title game was really ugly basketball.