Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Tennis

Old 01-16-2012, 12:09 PM   #1
Mertov
All-Star Player

Mertov is on a distinguished road
Default Australian Open 2012

I have not been able to follow much so far, and it just started anyway. I just saw that both Federer and Nadal are in the same half of the draw (that's got to be a shocker, we are so used to seeing Federer on Djokovic's side since he dropped out of top 2). They both came in with questions on their physical form but today they both won their first rounds in straight sets. I briefly saw the draw, I believe Federer has the easiest road to the semifinals out of the top 4.

I have not looked at the Women's draw yet. I plan on watching as much as I can find time.

Mert
Mertov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
Mertov
All-Star Player

On the Women's side, US Open champion Sam Stosur is out first round!!!! That is a shocker even if she did not start the year well in earlier tournaments.

Wozniacki and Kvitova are the top 2 seeds. Clisjters and Serena are in different halves. Ni La could end up playing Clijsters, and the winner could play Wozniacki, all before the semifinals.

Mert
Old 01-18-2012, 03:05 PM   #3
Angus Saul
Angus Saul

Angus Saul is on a distinguished road

Another big shock to the tournament as number 8 seed Mardy Fish falls in the second round. After such a great 2011, this is an abysmal start to the new year, and not what he would have been hoping.

Isner came through after a close 5 set encounter against David Nalbandian.

Federer and Nadal both safely through to the third round and on course for a first grand slam semi-final clash since the French Open 2005, which Nadal won, and eventually going on to win his first grand slam at the age of 19. Yep, that's how long ago it was since they faced off in a grand slam semi-final.

Murray and Djokovic on tomorrow.

Angus
Angus Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:33 PM   #4
Angus Saul
Angus Saul

Some fairly routine wins for some players today, Murray and Djokovic coming through easliy. Tsonga made to work hard for his 3 set win, and Ferrer pushed to five against Ryan Sweeting.

Big news as home favourite Lleyton Hewitt progresses to the third round after Andy Roddick retired, trailing 2 sets to 1, after picking up what appeared to be a knee injury. Hewitt will take on Milos Raonic in the next round. Another retirement came as Andrei Golubev pulled out against in-form Richard Gasquet.

12th seed Gilles Simon was upset by compatriot Julian Bennetteau in a five-set encounter, while 19th seed Victor Troicki also lost out in a contest that went all the way. Another seed, Alex Bogomolov, suffered defeat at the hands of Michael Llodra. Llodra will play Murray in the third round.

Angus
Old 01-22-2012, 09:48 AM   #5
Mertov
All-Star Player

Unbelievable how easily the top 4 seeds are progressing so far. I guess we could call Del Potro the first serious threat to Federer and to one of the top 4. Next may be Tsonga in the quarters against Murray. But otherwise, I am looking to a couple of terrific semifinal matches between Djokovic and Murray on top of the draw, and Rafa vs. Federer at the bottom.

The best match of the tournament so far came in the Women's Draw: Clijsters came back to beat Na Li 4/6 7/6 6/4. Now Clijsters faces top seed Wozniacki at the top of the draw in the quarters. 2nd seed Kvitova plays Ana Ivanovic in the round of 16.

Mert
Old 01-22-2012, 08:27 PM   #6
Angus Saul
Angus Saul

Some great matches over the last few days. Kukushkin barely manages to overcome Monfils, clearly injured, and hardly trying, in a 5 set match. Federer disposes of Tomic easily in straight sets.

Very bad form from Tomas Berdych though, in a low point for the tournament. Almagro hit Berdych quite hard near the end of the fourth set. Judging by the look of genuine surprise, and the numerous apologies and instantly checking to see if Berdych was ok, we can give Almargo the benefit of the doubt that it was unintentional, and no ill feeling was meant. However, two games and a tie-break later, Berdych wins, celebrates, and then refuses to shake Almagro's hand. Crowd Boos. End Scene.

Angus
Old 01-23-2012, 08:00 PM   #7
Mertov
All-Star Player

I am so glad the quarterfinals are here. This has been one of the most boring first four rounds of any Slam tournament that I have seen. I can't find more than five matches worth being mentioned as "thrillers" in both men's and women's draw combined.

That being said, since most of the favorites are still in, we should be in for some great quality action from here on...

I am still expecting Rafa and Federer to make it to the semis, Fed a little easier against Del Potro than what most experts predict, and Rafa a little tougher against Berdych than most people expect. They should nevertheless make it there.

Mert
Old 01-24-2012, 11:10 AM   #8
Mertov
All-Star Player

Rafa and Federer both advance to meet yet in another Slam tournament. I believe this is only the second time that they meet in the semis of a Slam, the first one having gone Rafa's way in the semis of 2004 Roland Garros. Since then, they have only met in the finals. Rafa's dominant record against Federer in the Slams (I believe it's 8-2) and overall (17-9) will probably make him the slight favorite, but it's still a tough match to call.

Clijsters takes out Wozniacki and will meet Azarenka in the top half of the semifinals on the Women's Draw.

By the way, congratulations to Federer for his 1000th win !!!

Mert
Old 01-24-2012, 08:34 PM   #9
Angus Saul
Angus Saul

sorry if this is a little late, but big shock to the draw yesterday / day before as Kei Nishikori of Japan, coached by Murray's former coach Brad Gilbert, knocked out Tsonga. Tsonga would have been Murray's first challenge to date. As it happens, Murray will most likely dispatch of Nishikori and go into the djokovic match untested, which is not alway good news. Sure he'll be rested, but he hasn't had a challenge yet, and so could be slow coming out of the blocks. But i'm getting ahead of myself, Nishikori could pull off an upset, or perhaps even Ferrer. More likely is that Murray or Djokovic will get injured however, so we can safely say it's those two in the semis.

Great updates Mert, I've been struggling to see much, what with it starting at midnight here (UK), and having work the next morning (usually), most matches are done and dusted by the time I get up.

I would mention one thing however. You congratulated Mr. Federer rather prematurely on his 1000th win I think. He was competing in his 1000th tour-level match (ATP 250 or above), and he moves to an 814-186 win-loss career record, but he is still some way off 1000 wins: three to four years perhaps. Hopefully he won't have retired before he reaches it. He did express a desire for his twin daughters to see him win a slam before he retired, so he'll still be going strong in a couple years we hope.

Angus
Old 01-25-2012, 08:53 AM   #10
Mertov
All-Star Player

Yes my mistake, thanks Saul.. I should have typed "1000th match" rather than "win". Personally, I doubt he will reach 1000 wins.

I agree with you on the time difference problem. I am experiencing it too.
I believe I will do whatever it takes to watch the semifinals though.

Mert
Old 01-26-2012, 05:43 PM   #11
Mertov
All-Star Player

Kvitova totally shut down after the challenge at 4-4 0-30, and Sharapova goes to the finals to face Azarenka who beat Clijsters in three sets. Good matches both.

Rafa once again got the best Federer in four sets. The quality was not as high as their last encounter in Paris in 2011. Rafa will have to play better than he has played all tournament if he is to lift the trophy in the finals. Federer did some things right, such as driving his backhand returns consistently instead of a passive slice return, but he still committed too many unforced errors on the important points. The biggest problem for me was that he continuously tried to come forehand down the line to the net to Rafa's forehand. I thought he would approach behind Nadal to his backhand more..

Now onto Murray vs. Djokovic tomorrow.

Mert
Old 01-27-2012, 08:49 PM   #12
Mertov
All-Star Player

Djokovic beats Murray in the best match of the tournament so far! Both men had chances, both blew multiple chances, and at the end of the day, I believe it was Djokovic's sense of confidence and invincibility that last year helped him build that was the difference.

I have been one of the very few not to doubt Murray's ability to win a Slam one day. Now I am almost certain that he will do it sooner than later.

Azarenka and Sharapova should begin their "shrieking" final in less than 10 hours.

Mert
Old 01-28-2012, 08:34 AM   #13
Mertov
All-Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertov View Post
Azarenka and Sharapova should begin their "shrieking" final in less than 10 hours.
Azarenka too tough for Sharapova.. 6/3 6/0.

Mert
Old 01-30-2012, 09:30 AM   #14
Mertov
All-Star Player

I missed unfortunately the 3rd and majority of the 4th sets, but it was 5 hours and 53 minutes after all, so there was plenty of tennis for everyone to see: record duration for a Slam final in history.

Djokovic defeats Nadal 5/7 6/4 6/2 6/7 7/5 in a dramatic, epic match.

I am sure there were many times during the match where most people thought "Ok, Rafa got it", and many other times where they thought "Alright, Djokovic should in after this".. But both men showed a lot of heart and managed to turn it in their favor at various turns. Like Djokovic said at the end, it was too bad both of them could not come out as winners.

That's seven in a row for Novak against Nadal, and his third Slam trophy in a row.

Mert