Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 09-27-2004, 08:20 PM   #1
Habs Fan
Gary Bettman Must Go

Habs Fan is on a distinguished road
Default Bonds tested for Steriods!!!!!

Apparrently Bonds was forced to submit to a random drug test last week. He seems pretty confident in his results. Here's the link.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

Despite my fears and suspicions, I hope Bonds does not get caught. It would be another black eye for the game.

Unfortunately ..... "An infraction is not made public until a second positive test." So even if he does test positive nobody will really know.

Favorite Teams: NHL - Canadiens .... NBA - Spurs .... MLB - Jays .... NFL - Cowboys
Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 08:35 PM   #2
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Just a standard random test wasn't it? I am sure he was not the only one tested last week. The article said every player is supposed to be tested once during the season.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 10:54 PM   #3
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Exactly. He acknowledged the test and the results will be kept private unless a player tests positive for the second time. The first positive is subject to discipline, I believe, but in private.
No news in this case is good news, as he has been tested in the past. Tests take a week or so to come back.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 06:20 PM   #4
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Even if he is clean now, it does nothing to clear him from suspicion surrounding his 70-HR season. It's kind of irrelevent, honestly.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 03:38 PM   #5
Joepritch2
Grizzled Veteran

Joepritch2 is on a distinguished road

I'm sure if teams weren't too busy walking him and actually pitched to him this year, his HR numbers would be astronomical.
Joepritch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 09:07 PM   #6
BaseballBoards
Banned

BaseballBoards is on a distinguished road

I want Bonds Caught!
BaseballBoards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 09:16 PM   #7
Habs Fan
Gary Bettman Must Go

In a way, I agree with you BaseballBoards. Obviously if he used illigetimate means to acheive his records then he should be caught.

At the same time, it would only increase the swelling around the black eye that baseball has received from players such as Caminiti and Canseco who have already admitted to using steriods. It's not a great situation for baseball.

Favorite Teams: NHL - Canadiens .... NBA - Spurs .... MLB - Jays .... NFL - Cowboys
Old 09-30-2004, 09:45 PM   #8
Panthers-Rule
13 Year Old Know-It-All

Panthers-Rule is on a distinguished road

Barry Bonds is the greatest player ever to play the game, even if he did use steroids. If he didn't he is even better.

EDIT- Spelling
Carolina Panthers1-4|2003-2004:11-5 NFC Champs
Charlotte Bobcats2003-2004:0-0|2003-2004:N/A
UNC Tar Heels19-11|2002-2003:18-9
Arizona Diamondbacks51-111|2003:84-78
ASU Sun Devils5-1|2003-2004:5-7
Panthers-Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 09:57 PM   #9
Habs Fan
Gary Bettman Must Go

I disagree 100% Panthers ...... even though I'm not an expert on steriods. That said, steriods help enhance your athletic performance so isn't that cheating????? Especially when other players refrain from using these drugs because it's against the rules?

Bonds has always been an awesome player, look at his years in Pittsburgh. But since getting MUCH BIGGER at an older stage of his career, his numbers have been mind-boggling. No offense to Bonds fans but when I look at pictures of him with the Pirates and then recent photos ...... something's terribly amiss. Working out and weightlifting can help you get bigger and leaner but his latest growth spurt would rival those of the top bodybuilders.

If he's clean then congrats to him ..... but if he's caught using ..... then I believe baseball fans should know. That way when he does hit 756 ...... we can decide whether HE really did it or not.

Old 09-30-2004, 10:00 PM   #10
Panthers-Rule
13 Year Old Know-It-All

Habs, McGwire said that steroids don't help your hitting power or hitting skills, It is hand eye cordination.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:02 PM   #11
BaseballBoards
Banned

BaseballBoards is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Panthers-Rule
Habs, McGwire said that steroids don't help your hitting power or hitting skills, It is hand eye cordination.
it helps your strength, then helps you swing a heavier bat easy. Those who don't know - heavey bats make the balls rocket of on a swing
BaseballBoards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 10:06 PM   #12
Panthers-Rule
13 Year Old Know-It-All

Sometimes it is easier to hit with a smaller bat for quicker swinging and steroids don't help that.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:08 PM   #13
Habs Fan
Gary Bettman Must Go

Good point BaseballBoards ..... and how many home runs did McGwire LIFT out of the park? His arms and legs were unbelievably huge.

Back to Bonds ..... most people easily admit that Bonds gets through the strike zone quicker than anyone. How? A very strong torso certainly helps.

Don't forget about Olympic sprinters ..... steriods help them develop fast-twitch muscles at a rate most of us can aspire to dream of. Fast-twitch muscles help you react and move faster.

Ergo, if Bonds can swing the bat faster, he can wait on pitches longer (thus getting a better look) and swing with the correct momentum to slam balls out of any park.

Old 09-30-2004, 10:11 PM   #14
Habs Fan
Gary Bettman Must Go

Panthers .... you gotta remember that not all steriods make you bulk up. Again, I'm no expert and maybe somebody on this board has a better grasp of the subject but some steriods make you react faster. Case in point .... look at all the sprinters who have been caught using. Why? It aids their speed.

Old 09-30-2004, 11:10 PM   #15
Joepritch2
Grizzled Veteran

Joepritch2 is on a distinguished road

Here's the problem with calling him a cheater, though. Until last year, steroids were perfectly legal. If he's using them now, then he's cheating, but anything he did 2 years ago is totally legal in the eyes of the people running the game. I for one hope he's doing this legitimately, it would really hurt the game if he was juicing now that it's illegal.
Joepritch2 is offline   Reply With Quote