Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 04:48 PM   #1
Sports Virtuoso

#47 is on a distinguished road
Default How the SEC really works.

1) A look at OOC scheduling and how the SEC helps build those records, it is clear, the SEC WILL NOT jeopardize itself by playing OOC road games.

In the last 15 years in comparison with the PAC it looks like this:

SEC 12 teams- 125 OOC ROAD games.
PAC 10 teams- 180 OOC ROAD games.

Thats 55 FEWER games, despite 2 MORE teams.

Of those games, the following were against teams from BCS conferences:

SEC 12 teams- 72 OOC ROAD games
PAC 10 teams- 113 OOC ROAD games.

Thats 41 FEWER games, despite 2 MORE teams.

2) Now for the next step, and individual team breakdown and I found this VERY interesting. The following is the number of ROAD games OOC each team played over the last 15 years. This is very shocking:

Alabama- 8
Auburn- 5
Arkansas- 6
Florida- 9
Georgia- 10
Kentucky- 15
LSU- 6
Mississippi- 12
Miss. St- 15
South Car- 13
Tennessee- 9
Vandy- 17

Over 15 years we have 9 teams who cant even average 1 road game a year OOC. And 4 teams....AUBURN, Alabama, Arkansas and LSU who cant even average 1 EVERY OTHER year. Remember the only reason Alabama has 8 and not 6 is because they added Hawaii to close there season because they were INeligible for bowls due to sanctions. Had to provide a trip for players and boosters......lol.

Now a look at the PAC over the same 15 years, team by team:

Arizona- 16
ASU- 15
CAL- 20
Oregon- 15
Ore. St- 18
USC- 24
Stanford- 16
UCLA- 20
Wash- 15
Wash St- 21

Now lets put that into order:
1. USC- 24
2. Wash St- 21
3. CAL- 20
UCLA- 20
4. Ore. St- 18
5. Vandy- 17
6. Arizona- 16
Stanford- 16
8. Kentucky- 15
Miss St- 15
ASU- 15
Oregon- 15
Wash- 15
13. South Car- 13
14. Miss- 12
15. Georgia- 10
16. Tennessee- 9
Florida- 9
18. Alabama- 8
19. Arkansas- 6
LSU- 6
21. AUBURN- 5

Interesting how the traditional powers of the SEC are the ones who DONT go on the raod. While the tradition powers of the PAC are the ones who travel(well uw is not all the way up there).

Now one more breakdown, because I like this, how many of those games(team by team) that actually played OTHER BCS league teams in there OOC ROAD games over 15 YEARS:

Alabama- 2 (in 15 yrs???....lol)
Auburn- 5 (not bad, every 3rd yr.....lol....would rank 9th in pac)
Arkansas- 1 (lol)
Florida- 9 (8-fsu, 1-syr.)
Georgia- 10
Kentucky- 9
LSU- 6 (a little hint, this would rank tied for 9th in the PAC)
Miss- 1 (embarrassing)
Miss St- 4 (2nd most road games in sec, but no quality)
South Car- 11
Tenn- 6 (i would expect more from ut)
Vandy- 8

Now the PAC and how much they played other BCS ROAD OOC games:

Arizona- 10
ASU- 10
CAL- 11
Oregon- 6 (thats terrible duckies)
Ore St- 3 (this is SEC type scheduling)
USC- 19
Stanford- 14
UCLA- 14
Wash- 13
Wash St- 13

Now and NCAA fact, when teans lose games in CFB, they lose them at a higher percentage ON THE ROAD, so.........

If you play fewer competitive games on the road, you will lose fewer games.

Now it would have been nice to compare head to head battles between the conferences over the past 15 years, but they have only played 13 games head to head.

The BIG key to how the SEC fools the average fan.

Of course we dont have average fans here.

And please dont let me hear someone say, "well not all BCS teams are great and some non BCS teams are"......yes there are some good non bcs teams(now) in both leagues regions, but when a school, AD and coach make up there schedules, they EXPECT to beat NON BCS schools. I have also encompassed 15 years so as to make sure you see a BIG picture and over the long haul, the BCS conferences are the traditionally stronger teams. The occasional exceptions dont override the fact of HOW you schedule and WHO you know is a sure win and who isnt.

Fight On!.............come out an play SEC.
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:05 PM   #2
gconnhokiebird
age 13- itallion stallion

gconnhokiebird is on a distinguished road

alright, whatever. who cares. Will see who wins in the bowl games alright?
Old 11-01-2004, 05:07 PM   #3
gconnhokiebird

I don't mean do be offenseve, but that is the only way to settle this, lets just let the teams play and that will speak for itself.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:19 PM   #4
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

A little more fuel to add to the "SEC teams don't have the balls to schedule strong OOC teams" fire- Alabama and Penn State were slated to play a home and home in 2004 and 2005. They backed out when the NCAA violations came down and now the series has been pushed to 2013 and 2014. By then I could be a Penn State graduate to put it in perspective.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:33 PM   #5
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by gconnhokiebird
alright, whatever. who cares. Will see who wins in the bowl games alright?
There are only going to be..........lets say 6 or 7 SEC bowl games and 5 or 6 PAC bowl games.

Thats far fewer then 15 YEARS of at least 3 OOC games per team per year.

The bowl games are also a huge advantge for SEC teams, like JOE has said several times, because all the games are played in there backyards, just as USC has had an advantage in Rose Bowls played over the years, its in there backyard.

Difference is..........USC has chosen to go out and prove they CAN play anywhere in the country, the SEC hasnt done that.

BIG difference.

And I care, I enjoy pointing out the SEC is afraid to play in OOC games and I will always state it, whether or not anyone likes it, until they do start playing them on a regular basis.

Fight On!
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:44 PM   #6
gconnhokiebird

well I mean what would USC do if they didn't play tough ooc games? They would play pretty much nobody other than CAl. ASU is decent this year too. Plus, who did they play this year. VT, who noone respects on this board. I wish the SEC would play big ten and pac 10 teams so they could just destroy them. The SEC has alto of teams that have ooc rival games coming up too. The Big ten hasn't played anyone tough ooc this year. Just b/c the big ten beats teams like Marshall and Sandigostate by a narrow margin doesn't make them good teams.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:58 PM   #7
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

I doubt Bama plays Penn St. when that time comes again Alex, or any other team from the SEC playing the Lions as well. By then, one or more of the following will have happened...

1. BAMA will be on probation....again.
2. ATLEAST one SEC school will be on probation other than Bama.
3. Bama will find a way to back out, or the SEC will be torn down for rampant rule breaking.
4. Penn St. will graduate a young Alex with honors, and that will be just one of many graduates able to read and write from a fine school like PSU compared to 0 ( excluding Vandy) from the entire SEC.

Yeah, I can see it now...

I'm still going to do my bowl research later, when I get a chance. Gconn likes to tout bowls, and we will see when I crunch the numbers. I would like to point out that perhaps teams from the Big Ten and Pac Ten don't do as well as the SEC for several reasons...

1. They play real teams out of conference in the regular season, and have a tendency to have one to two more REAL games to beat you up physically ( USC playing ND at the end each year, while down recently, was always one hell of a battle).
2. Their conference races were and STILL ARE much more important than the SEC race, where it's just a mad grab for $.
3. Near homefield advantage by the SEC squads.
4. Bowl games were only allowed for Big Ten teams starting in 1978, and the importance of bowls wasn't embraced by most Big Ten teams until the early 90s ( Ohio State, Michigan, Illinois), when match up deals were put in place. Is it any wonder Woody and Bo considered the Rose Bowl a much inferior game to the OSU-Michigan game, and the Big Ten race as a whole?

I will have the numbers crunched later on though.

I think homefield advantage is a two prong thing here #47...

One, some of these SEC teams are playing in stadiums they have played in before, which is a HUGE advantage ( and just like USC when playing in Rose).

Two, the weather. Blood thins and thickens over time in accordance with weather conditions in the midwest, where we have seasons. You know blood, vital to oxygen intake? I recall a few years back while living in Pittsburgh, we had a few days in mid April at about 90 degrees, simply unheard of. The Post-Gazette did an article on people suffering heat exhaustion and other respiratory problems because they said blood thickens and thins over time with the natural progression of seasons and pointed out this exact example of playing football in cold and warm climates ( although it was for NFL ). Now, that's the NFL, where you can travel anywhere week to week. How bad do you think it is when you play in the Midwest, where you are traveling to all cold spots in one region than you go down to Florida to play a bowl game.

Yeah, I know, yell at me for pretending to be a doctor.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:05 PM   #8
Sports Virtuoso

gconn, you need to do your research before making a rediculous statement like that. Big Ten plays far more TOUGH OOC games then the SEC also.

Quick stat, the SEC has played 18 OOC road games the last 2 years, the BIG TEN 25...........with ONE FEWER team. Big Ten has always also gone on the road, year in and year out, NOT the SEC though.

And those few rivalry games that the SEC has coming up are the same ones they have been playing and I have been counting for 15 years.

You can only be judged nationally, by playing nationally.

And by the way, I LOVE THIS PART..........lol...........what destroying has the SEC been doing of the PAC in that 15 year span??????............ok let me help you.

They have played 13 head to head games in that 15 year span. The PAC holds the head to head lead 7-6, with 7 of those games on SEC turf. I would be glad to list those games if you like.......lol.

Just let me know?

Fight On!
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:06 PM   #9
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Gconn, it sounds to me like you're saying, "If the rest of your conference sucks, you must suck too." Which is not necessarily the case. Secondly, according to the strenght of scedule listings , USC has the 59th strongest schedule (Auburn is 115th!).

How does that stack up against the teams you predicted are going to the BCS?

Oklahoma - 80th
Georgia - 70th
Tennessee - 48th
Miami-47th
Utah- 117th, the worst in the country.

SO "Who have they played" is a question better asked of a few good teams before USC.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
Old 11-01-2004, 06:51 PM   #10
gconnhokiebird

47- I was talking about this years scheduling how the big ten had no ooc big games. I don't care if their on the road, if its agasint bad teams who cares.

Keven- I'm not doubiting you or anything but how is Auburns schedule 115th? they play in the sec, that can't be right. thier schedule is much harder than USC and so is Georgia's. I don't get it. where are these rankings coming from? EVen if you think thier schedle is easier than USC's you can't beleve it's 115 can you?
Old 11-01-2004, 06:52 PM   #11
Joepritch2
Grizzled Veteran

Joepritch2 is on a distinguished road

GConn's responses could have been (not saying they were, but could have) copied and pasted from tiger's responses to me. At least I can understand tiger protecting the SEC with his life, but I don't know what gconn has to defend.

His reponses of "who cares, let's wait till the bowl games" was dealt with in the other thread, with tiger telling me to stop whining about it, if I recall correctly. It's even sadder for the SEC not to go on the road, considering they "host" most of their bowl games, if not all. I can see the Big 10 or the Big East not going on the road early in non-conference a little easier than the SEC, because the Big 10 and Big East go on the road for their bowl games.

Another point that isn't gathered by gconn is that you can't tell how good a conference is because of rankings, because the Pac-10 especially goes out on the road and suffers non-conference losses, whereas an SEC team can get to 8-3 by being 5-3 in conference, or even a bowl eligible 6-5 by going 3-5 in conference. A Pac-10 team might not be afforded that luxury.

Also, gconn, you have to look big picture, it happens that there are anomalies in single tests, but if you spread it out, things settle to their natural state.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:04 PM   #12
gconnhokiebird

alright yall or right. I've gotten to the point where i'm frogetting what were talking about. 47 made some good points and were better than mine. I'm just saying how are Auburn and Gerogias strgnth of schedule so low. The Big ten and Pac 10 play better non confernce games than the SEC( I really don't see how it was this year but overall it is), but that doesn't change the fact that i think the SEc is the best confernce. If the bowl games are too close to the SEC homes for you guys, I'm sorry who knows whos better? I just wanna watch football ya know.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:07 PM   #13
gconnhokiebird

also i just wanna say this, road games don't mean a thing if thier agasint bad teams. I think 47 is clinging on to this road game thing a little too much. Why can't the SEC just schedule some games at Pac 10 and Big 10 stadiums? I know when it comes to scheduling i'm pretty much talking about recent years so really I have no idea what i'm talking about.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:34 PM   #14
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by gconnhokiebird

Keven- I'm not doubiting you or anything but how is Auburns schedule 115th? they play in the sec, that can't be right. thier schedule is much harder than USC and so is Georgia's. I don't get it. where are these rankings coming from? EVen if you think thier schedle is easier than USC's you can't beleve it's 115 can you?
Well, the algorithms and formulas they use are explained here and they break down Auburn in particular here

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
Old 11-01-2004, 07:47 PM   #15
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Some SOS have Auburn higher Kevin, but they also have USC higher as well. Bottom line, whatever formula you use, USC is steadily ahead of Auburn by about 50 to as high as 90 teams in terms of SOS from what I've seen overall.

Joe...

I would surmise that gconn and 33 are in the same boat because they are both southerners trying to fend of Yankees in this debate. I think we all live relatively close to Canada and a Great Lake though. We should concede defeat....quickly...grab a boat Joe and cross over Lake Michigan, I'll grab one and paddle my way across Lake Erie, and #47, get on your boat and make your way across Lake Ontario. We'll all start over in Canada.
Closed Thread