Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 01-23-2005, 07:47 PM   #1
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about
Default Eagles win not a surprise....

Now that all the hype & emotions are out of the way, reality has set in. The Eagles who should never have been questioned & been the hands down favorite have proven who should be SB bound...

Philly played the kind of D that the Rams were incapable of. A restrained aggressive D that had everyone staying in place & a LB corp that wouldn't allow Vick room to run. Making Vick be a QB was all they had to do to win & they did it to a T...

Highlites for me:

Dawkins hit that crumpled Crumpler...

Security guard hit that leveled the idiot fan....

McNabb showing he's one of the best in the game & not getting rattled or impatient....

Eagle D shutting down the run & Atlantas D playing tough to the bitter end...

The Eagles just being a better team...period...

Lowlights:

Hearing the inane banter from these announcers. Collingsworth questioning the Lewis TD being inbounds even after a highlite was shown where it seemed the question should have been "How could they think to overturn it?"......

Collingsworth questioning if Vick slipped on the INT when it never looked that way. What screen do these guys watch??

Pass ruled incomplete from Vick that all 3 announcers missed for a short time tho the ref was immediately waving it off. Once again, what screen???...

The network idiots that went for the realism of having the 4 Musketeers talk from a halftime sideline setup. It was hysterical to see them try to yell over the blaring AC/DC song in the background...
Old 01-23-2005, 08:21 PM   #2
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

FSUViking is on a distinguished road

I think your beef with the announcers is a bit petty and nitpicky. For that Chad Lewis TD, every touchdown that close is pondered like that and for good reason.

And they have had the studio shows at the conference championship sites for several years now.

For me, Michael Vick continued to prove to me that he has no business playing QB in the NFL. He couldn't throw a football into the ocean if he were on the Titanic.
FSU: #3 recruiting class in the nation.
FSUViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 08:24 PM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

This is such a vindicating win for us Eagles fans and to do it without TO is that much sweeter. All we heard all week long was how unstoppable Vick and the Falcon running attack was. About how the Falcons were the top rushing team in the league and the Eagles were going to be hard pressed to stop the Atlanta ground attack. Supposedly Michael Vick is the Micheal Jordan of the NFL and he cannot be stopped, only slowed. The Eagles front seven was just dominant today and stomped a mudhole in the Falcons O-line and walked it dry. Neither Vick or Dunn were able to break loose for long gains and just about every time Vick dropped back there was an Eagle in his face harrassing him. Jim Johnson and Andy Reid proved that the Falcons are rather ordinary when Vick is forced to throw the ball.

This is also a sweet, sweet victory for Donovan McNabb as well. He came of age as a QB this year and he navigated the team through the playoffs without TO. He finally showed that he can win a big game and get his team to the Super Bowl. He had his moments out there but kept his cool throughout and even managed to outrush Vick. Imagine that.

Donovan touched on the offensive success being due to the O-line. The offensive line played incredibly well today. McNabb typically had a ton of time to throw the ball and the line paved the way for 156 rushing yards.

That shot by the security guard was awesome. One of the announcers said they thought it was the hit of the game. He just laid the guy out.

Oh and the funniest part about the studio setup down close to the fans was the Eagles fans chanting 'Dallas Sucks' when Jimmy Johnson started to speak.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 09:42 PM   #4
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

That Eagles defense continues to amaze me. After the game Brian Dawkins was asked if he thinks they'll get respect and he said "no". It truly is ridiculous that this Eagles defense gets overlooked.

The hit Hollis Thomas put on Vick when he was heading for the goalline was awesome.

Collingsworth and Aikman need to learn how to shut the **** up at the end of the game though.

I'm dissapointed that the Patriots are smacking the Steelers around. As an Eagles fan, just wanted so bad to play them again.

But, that said, the Patriots were in the exact same situation with the Eagles. Stunning loss to the Steelers with no one thinking the Steelers would win a rematch.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 09:53 PM   #5
jnmhayes
Grizzled Veteran

jnmhayes is on a distinguished road

The Eagles defense are the least discussed strength of their team, and the defense made the game the relative blowout that it was.

I'm disappointed that the Steelers couldn't put up more of a fight against the Pats. But it's back to the big game for Brady et. al.
jnmhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 10:43 PM   #6
jhuerbin88
Sports guy

jhuerbin88 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by jnmhayes
I'm disappointed that the Steelers couldn't put up more of a fight against the Pats. But it's back to the big game for Brady et. al.
It hurts bad.

I really thought the Steelers could have done better. I know Ben is only a rookie, but it's going to be a long offseason for us Steeler fans...

...a long offseason for us Steeler fans...

...a long offseason...

...long.

Damnit...we were so ****ing close.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:48 PM   #7
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by FSUViking
I think your beef with the announcers is a bit petty and nitpicky. For that Chad Lewis TD, every touchdown that close is pondered like that and for good reason.

And they have had the studio shows at the conference championship sites for several years now.
& it sounds like you must have lost some money on the Falcons today....

That would explain why you put up with "petty, nitpicky" announcing at the playoff level cuz your attention was on your money relocating out of your pocket. & as far as being "pondered like that", the "pondering" was that he wasn't inbounds not that that was a question. I like my announcers a bit smarter & not to be blind...

& yes, they've been doing the studio shows at field level for several years & I've always thought it was a stupid idea. Today was a classic example of why. Maybe for you having them on the sideline at halftime makes you think "you're right there " but I'm not so easily influenced...
Old 01-23-2005, 11:07 PM   #8
StealthElephant
Grizzled Veteran

StealthElephant is on a distinguished road

Take away Big Ben's 3 turnovers though, and you have a pretty close game.

The defense has always shown up for the most part year after year, the problem has always been the offense stalling. 14-3 loss to Carolina, I mean, your offense should put up 14 points.

The recievers looked good, G. Lewis' pulling in the long ball, Chad Lewis FINALLY being used like the Pro Bowler he was a few years back for some clutch TD catches. Fact of the matter is, there were no dropped passes. If Mcnabb can play a turnover free game, it could be close in 2 weeks.
StealthElephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 11:25 PM   #9
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

They did not have Brian Westbrook last year either though and that made a difference for the Eagles. He was the only game breaker they had on offense last year and without him the offense was rather stagnant. This was essentially the same offense that got shutdown by the Panthers last season. The only real differences are Greg Lewis at WR and Dorsey Levens at RB. That and Donovan playing with sky high confidence right now. Greg Lewis has really stepped it up the last two weeks with two 40+ yard catches to set up TDs.

The defense continues to get little respect because of the goofy way they rank defenses in the NFL. I said it before I don't care if they are 10th in yards allowed or whatever they are second in points allowed and that is the stat that really matters.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:32 PM   #10
StealthElephant
Grizzled Veteran

Good point, Westbrook has definately been the difference. Just watching the offense work today though, it looked methodical as opposed to Mcnabb always having to make an overly athletic play like in the past. He had a few good scrambles but for the most part they just stayed with the plan and kept moving down the field, thats something I dont' think they had the past 3 failed attempts.

I find it funny with all the talk about the defense, who disrespects the defense? All I ever hear in the media is what a genious Johnsons blitzing defense is.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:46 PM   #11
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Well, I think what Dawkins was referring to was all of the media hype surrounding the Vick and the whole 'DVD' schtick of the Falcons' running game. The past week all we heard about was Vick is Superman, he is the Micheal Jordan of the NFL, he cannot be stopped, if they think Kearse can catch him they are crazy, on and on about how great this running game was. The Eagles defense was being given very little credit or much of a chance for that matter. It was basically a question of whether the Eagles would be able to outscore the Falcons in this game.

I am just so happy that they were able to expose Vick for the fraud that he is as a passer. I found it kind of funny to hear some of the backtracking after the game. Last week Jimmy Johnson was jabbering on abot Vick being 'Superman' then this week, well it just was not his time but he will be back again in the near future. Well, gee if he is so freakin' awesome then he should of won the game then shouldn't he? I also love the fact that McNabb outrushed Vick today.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:56 PM   #12
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

I was never in doubt about the game. I didn't know anyone with a brain and a strong knowledge of the game ever was.

That said, I still don't believe in the Eagles D. I understand that Eagles fans adore their defense. I don't get it.
The Patriots will torch said D. It shouldn't be close. Right now, I'd say I'm thinking the Pats will open as 8 or 9 point favorites, and by kickoff, the line might be closer to 11 or 12.

And, the Pats will win by 14 or more.

But, at least the Eagles were able to get over the hump. That's something.

Dave
Old 01-24-2005, 12:03 AM   #13
StealthElephant
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by MountaineerDave
The Patriots will torch said D.
But who's D have they not torched?

NE will probably put up 24 points, that isn't any surprise. But don't expect much more than that. The problem hasn't been the D, it's always been the offense, and I think that is still the problem. That NE defense is scary. Whenever the eagles score 24+ points they are almost undefeated, the problem is when they lose, they normaly score under 20 points. They lost 31-10 last time, so what, 31 points is to much to give up, but only scoring 10 points is an even bigger problem.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:04 AM   #14
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Dave...what is it exactly that you don't get about this Eagles D?

I asked you a while back to compare it to the past few seasons, I don't think you ever answered. Now, the D might not be as good as 4 years ago, the first NFC Title game, but it is certainly the best defense they've had in the past 3 years.

I guess my new question is, what aspect of the Eagles defense do you NOT like, Dave? Or, to put it how you did, what part of the Eagles defense do you NOT believe in?
Old 01-24-2005, 12:06 AM   #15
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

I will say though that I think NE has little chance to put up 24 points against the Eagles defense. To me, that is just unfathomable. The Patriots might win, but against the Eagles secondary, 24 is not likely to happen.