Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 02:11 PM   #1
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road
Default NBA Playoff First Round Predictions

Eastern Division First-Round
Detroit over Orlando in five games
Cleveland over Washington in six games
New Jersey over Toronto in seven games
Miami over Chicago in six games

Western Division First-Round
Dallas over Golden State in five games
Phoenix over Los Angeles in six games
San Antonio over Denver in six games
Utah over Houston in seven games

I like Detroit coming out of the East, and San Antonio coming out of the West. Tim Duncan and the Spurs will hang another banner when all is said and done!

What are your thoughts?
Old 04-22-2007, 03:22 PM   #2
190 Octane
All-Star Player

190 Octane is on a distinguished road

I'd agree with all of those, except I like Houston to take Utah in seven games. That and Chicago-Miami should be the best first round series.

Speaking of Bulls and Heat, Shaq's already crying about the officiating. Oh the irony!
Old 04-22-2007, 04:49 PM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

After watching last night's game I am not sure Houston is going to have too much trouble getting past Utah. The Jazz have nothing for Yao and his mere presence seems to intimidate Boozer and Okur a bit. Utah just is not nearly athletic enough at the two to handle T-Mac. Fisher is a solid defender but he does not have the height, length, or quickness to much more than a speed bump for McGrady.

Did any team look more disinterested than the Cavs? There is no excuse for not running the Wiz out of the gym by halftime.

I'd love to see Chicago and Detroit re-kindle their rivalry in the conference finals.

Can anyone explain to me why the NBA tabs the Heat as the 4th seed but gives home court to the Bulls. If you are going to determine home court advantage based on record then don't confuse the issue by assigning a higher seed to a team just because they won their division.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
Old 04-22-2007, 05:19 PM   #4
190 Octane
All-Star Player

Because, like so much else in the NBA, the seeding doesn't make sense.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:31 PM   #5
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 190 Octane
Speaking of Bulls and Heat, Shaq's already crying about the officiating. Oh the irony!
"They had a lot of help out there...My intention was to just come out and be myself, until (referee) Eddie Rush derailed me. I’m just very, very frustrated with the inconsistency of what’s going on. Very, very, very frustrated...It’s just unfortunate that people fall for that. I mean, I’m just playing hard. I guess it’s what you’ve got to do to stop Shaq, just flop and whine and jump into him and get him in foul trouble."

It sure is unfortunate that David Stern has to deliver a strong, justifiable punishment to one of the league's biggest stars in the postseason so closely after he elected to grandstand in the Tim Duncan/Jerry Crawford fiasco.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:07 PM   #6
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I don't see Washington winning two games without Arenas. I like Houston over Utah. T-Mac finally gets out of the first round. Denver and Golden State both got surprising Game 1 wins. Upset watch?
Old 04-24-2007, 12:02 AM   #7
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Golden State winning is not a huge shocker seeing as they swept the season series with Dallas and have now won 7 of the last 8 against them. I still think Dallas will take the series though.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
Old 04-24-2007, 03:31 PM   #8
190 Octane
All-Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
I don't see Washington winning two games without Arenas. I like Houston over Utah. T-Mac finally gets out of the first round. Denver and Golden State both got surprising Game 1 wins. Upset watch?
This is the homer in me speaking, but back in '05 the Spurs dropped one of the first week home games to Denver and won the series 4-1. I'm not hitting the panic button unless they lose tonight.

Blog
Old 04-24-2007, 03:46 PM   #9
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

I agree with you 190, but back in '05, the Nuggets team was not the same as it is now. AI led the 76ers to the Finals in the past and he had nothing to work with. Now he actually has a supporting cast that will help him out and take some of the burden off of him. Im not saying the Spurs cant beat the Nuggets, but i think the Nuggets will give them a run for their money.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:32 PM   #10
190 Octane
All-Star Player

Definitely agree. There's no question this Denver team, with a more experienced Carmelo and Iverson is much better. I don't expect San Antonio to come back to dominate. I think whoever wins this series is going to have to do so in seven games at this juncture.

Blog
Old 04-24-2007, 08:59 PM   #11
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

Golden St played a great game against Dallas. Impressive win.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:00 AM   #12
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Golden State could surprise people this year. They cannot be taken lightly.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:44 AM   #13
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

Detroit over Orlando in five games
Cleveland over Washington in seven games
New Jersey over Toronto in seven games
Chicago over Miami in five games

Dallas over Golden State in six games
Phoenix over Los Angeles in five games
San Antonio over Denver in six games
Houston over Utah in seven games
Old 04-25-2007, 05:56 PM   #14
Marino13
Professional Muff Diver

Marino13 is on a distinguished road

Detroit over Orlando in FIVE games
Cleveland over Washington in FOUR games
Toronto over New Jersey in SIX games
Chicago over Miami in SIX games

Dallas over Golden State in SIX games
Phoenix over Los Angeles in FOUR games
San Antonio over Denver in SIX games
Houston over Utah in SIX games
Old 04-25-2007, 11:37 PM   #15
trayhezy
All-Star Player

trayhezy is on a distinguished road

There are certain precedents that are historic indicators of NBA champions so any predictions can be narrowed down to the teams that meet those criteria.

1) Playoff games are about stars-the stars on teams have to dominate in the playoffs. Role players help but only the stars can take it to that next level night in and night out. Big stars always win unless beaten by other big stars.

2) A championship pedigree is a necessity-The NBA more than any sport makes you pay your dues. A team that has never been past round one together is usually not going to go deep into the playoffs all of the sudden. They usually take steps to get to that level and suffer through disappointments on their way.

3) A hall of famer at the 4 or 5- We have gone over this in other threads but only 4 times in finals history has a championship been contested with out a likely hall of famer at the power forward or center position. Not a good one but a possible HOF. A guy that if his career continues on pace he will get Springfield. There have been some teams that have won the title without this but they have had to beat a team that met this criteria. Those are the 04 and 90 Pistons and the 90,91,92 and 96 Bulls. So you either have to have the bigs to deal with a hall of fame post presence defensively or Michael Jordan. If you have neither you will not win the title.

4)A good regular season-Most people look over this one but in the past 30 years (maybe longer I just got tired of researching this) only one team has won the four playoff series necessary to win the title, not having home court in any series and that team met the other three criteria in abundance: the 96 Houston Rockets.

So you can throw out any other factors like age (unless it leads to injury) coaching (the best coaches can do nothing with out these qualifactions on his team) depth, athleticism or personal prefrence. I have narrowed my predictions to the teams that fit these criteria:

Detroit, San Antonio, Dallas, Phoenix, Miami.

As a final prediction my heart says San Antonio, but I must throw out personal preference and pick Detroit.
until I'm Tiger dead

Last edited by trayhezy; 04-25-2007 at 11:44 PM.
Closed Thread