Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 06-07-2007, 12:52 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default Kansas meteorite on display...

Meteorite to go on display in Wichita

BY AMANDA O'TOOLE
The Wichita Eagle

About a month ago, Greensburg recovered its famous 1,000-pound pallasite meteorite from beneath rubble near the World's Largest Hand-Dug Well.

Greensburg's newly appointed mayor, John Janssen, laughed Monday night when he said he wasn't sure where the treasured meteorite was. But because the City Council approved a contract with Exploration Place, he's sure he'll know where to find it very soon.

The Wichita museum intends to display the meteorite in its lobby, where donations will be accepted.

"It seemed like a really good fit," said Exploration Place spokeswoman, Christina Bluml. "We hope the best for Greensburg, and this is a good way to show that support for them."

The contract, which stipulates that Exploration Place must insure the rock for $1 million, still needs to be approved by officials of the Wichita museum.

The meteorite might travel to other places, such as the Cosmosphere in Hutchinson, until Greensburg and the Big Well complex is ready for its return.

"We're happy to have it for as long as we can have it," she said.

The "falling star" was found in 1949 with the help of a modified World War II mine detector. The detector had been stored in the museum alongside the rock, and mangled pieces of it were found under the rubble.

Janssen said displaying the meteorite is a good way to remind Kansans that Greensburg "is still here."

Glad they found their pet rock.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:39 PM   #2
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

LOL

I'm confused here...

It says they found it in 1949 with a mine detector. Didn't the big hole kinda point 'em to where it was? Then it says they just recovered it beneath the rubble. ??? They found it in 1949 & then just left it there till now?

Too complicated for me...
Old 06-07-2007, 07:05 PM   #3
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
LOL

I'm confused here...

It says they found it in 1949 with a mine detector. Didn't the big hole kinda point 'em to where it was? Then it says they just recovered it beneath the rubble. ??? They found it in 1949 & then just left it there till now?

Too complicated for me...
Plus Kansas looks like this...

You can't find a big rock in that?

C'mon Kansas...
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 07:23 PM   #4
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

LOL

Maybe 1 of their daily twisters filled the hole back up...
Old 06-08-2007, 01:00 PM   #5
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

Only God knows what happen here.:thumbup: