Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

View Poll Results: Who's the key player on the Bears?
Cade McNown 1 12.50%
James Allen 0 0%
David Terrell 0 0%
Brian Urlacher 5 62.50%
Marcus Robinson 0 0%
John Capel 0 0%
Paul Edinger 0 0%
Third Cheerleader on the left 2 25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-19-2001, 12:39 AM   #1
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough
Unhappy A Hard Look At the Chicago Bears!

Will the 2001 Chicago Bears be better than the 2000 Chicago Bears? I sure hope so, but they face an uphill battle to gain respect. They finished dead last in the NFC Central last year with a record of 5-11.

The Bears had a 3-5 home record and a 2-6 road record. It seemed it didn't matter where they played, they still would lose. Can QB Cade McNown redeem himself from the disaster of last year? He went 1-7 before going down with an injury. I think the injury was godsent. He came back against the 49ers and was raked over the coals.

But lets be positive. It is a new year. QB Jim Miller did a good job filling in when Cade was hurt. He led the Bears to an upset of the Indianapolis Colts by a score of 27-24. Then he went down with an injury to his achilles tendon. QB Shane Matthews was 2-2 as a starter. Now the Bears have picked up Billy Joe Tolliver from the Saints. Cade McNown can be mobile and has a good arm, but his attitude and his lack of patience has hurt him.

I believe he will come to camp this year hungary to disprove his critics. We hope so for Chicago's sake. Good news for the offense is, James Allen is back. He gained 1,120 yards last year on 290 carries for 2 TD's. He has 4.7 speed. He did have some fumbling problems, especially in the Jets game. He lost three. Also his longest run from scrimmage was about 29 yards. SO he needs alot of work in camp. The Bears did themselves a favor and drafed running back Anthony Thomas(6-2-229) from Michigan. He has good burst around the goal line.

Their best pick and their first pick was wide receiver David Terrell from Michigan. He has a history of making big plays in big games. Also, Rookie John Capel from Florida will add to their special teams. The Bears also picked up Skip Hicks from Washington to add to their backfield. He has plenty of talent, if he will just use it.

The Bears had alot of injuries in their receiver corp. Bobby Engram and TE John Alfred went down last year. Marcus Robinson also went down. The Bears aren't sure if Engram can come back from knee surgery. There's hope that Robinson will be ready for the 2001 season.

The Bears lost OG Todd Perry to the Dolphins and center Casey Wiegmann to the Chiefs. So depth could be a problem. That's why the Bears picked up OG Mike Gandy(6-4-305) from Notre Dame and Bernard Robertson from Tulane. May be alot of rookies starting this year for Chicago. It is hoped that Olin Kreutz(center) can stay healthy. He would be a good one. OT Blake Brockermeyer(6-4-300) can be a good pass-protector and be fair at rush blocking. OT James Williams(6-7-331) is bigger than a ship, but has slow feet. But his wing span makes up for it.

The Bears defense did seem to improve over the course of the 2000 season. The defense gave up 1,827 on the ground and 3,407 in the air. Linebacker Brian Urlacher played great as a rookie last year. Some say he's better than Mike Singletary. DLE Bryan Robinson is an excellent run-down player. DRE Philip Daniels did well until he was hurt. The Bears did draft Karon Riley from Minnesota. He can rush from both sides. The Bears acquired linebacker Greg Jones from the Redskins.

As for the cornerbacks Thomas Smith does well covering, but his hands are not built for interceptions. Walt Harris is back and can be a good one. Tony Parrish and Mike Brown will be the safeties. Both are physical. Place kicker Paul Edinger is back. He had a shaky start last year, but kicked a 50 and a 54 yarder for field goals in 2000. Like I stated earlier the Bears picked up rookie John Capel from Florida. He is a world class sprinter. He will be the return man and he will be exciting to watch.

The Bears beat Green Bay once, the Indianapolis Colts once, the New England Patriots once, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers once and Detroit once. Unfortunately for them they begin their season at Baltimore on Sept 9th. It gets no easier after that. Jacksonville second, then Minnesota. Then after an open date they face Atlanta in Atlanta and Arizona at home, then to Cincinnati. They could win tose three games.

The Bears are coached by Dick Jauron. The Bears lost offensive coordinator Gary Crowton to BYU. He will be replaced by QB coach John Shoop. Their will be much more emphasis on the running game and a balance offense. The offense never scored more than 27 points in a game last year. That must change.

In closing I think the Bears will be much imroved if they aren't decimated by injuries again. It is also hoped that Cade McNown will find his groove. And the Bears hope running back James Allen will improve. My prediction for Chicago is 7-9 in 2001.

Old 07-19-2001, 09:25 AM   #2
Ross
Hall of Famer

Ross is on a distinguished road

The Bears are the exact same team they were last year, and I said they would go 9-7 last year. We all saw how that worked out. Drafting the the A-Train will help them, but I just don't see them having a better record than the Lions or Vikes to get a playoff spot.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 10:36 AM   #3
iFroggy
Sports Virtuoso

iFroggy is on a distinguished road

I voted for Ulacher, but I think Terrell is also a key guy, but what the heck do I know about the Bears anyway? lol :lol:
Old 07-19-2001, 11:56 AM   #4
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Brian Urlacher is one of the few bright spots on this team, but I voted for Cade McNown because the QB play is the most important to a team's success. If you have a bad QB, you're not going to win.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 03:08 PM   #5
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

The J is on a distinguished road

I voted for Urlacher as well, but you are right Marc, if I where the Bears, I would give up on McNown and turn to Shane Matthews.

Who voted for the cheerleader? :nod: :nod: :nod:
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Old 07-19-2001, 08:30 PM   #6
dragons
Grizzled Veteran

dragons is on a distinguished road
Default Bears

Brian Urlacher is one of the few bright spots on this team, but I voted for Cade McNown because the QB play is the most important to a team's success. If you have a bad QB, you're not going to win.

You serious??? who won the Super Bowl last season? Oh yeah, it was the Ravens who had Dilfer at the helm and he's one of the worst QB's in the league. Defence is what wins and thats why I voted for Urlacher, my number 4 LB in the whole of the the NFL.

PS: What happened to Barry Minter last season?
dragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 10:43 PM   #7
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Bears

Quote:
Originally posted by dragons

You serious??? who won the Super Bowl last season? Oh yeah, it was the Ravens who had Dilfer at the helm and he's one of the worst QB's in the league. Defence is what wins and thats why I voted for Urlacher, my number 4 LB in the whole of the the NFL.

PS: What happened to Barry Minter last season?
Please use the quote tags in the future so it differentiates from your actual post.

Dilfer isn't flashy, Dilfer isn't pretty, but he got the job done. No matter what you say, he was consisent and he set the offense up to score just enough so that the defense could hold the opponent down. He wasn't one of the worst QBs last year, definitely not. Defense may win championships, but you have to have a solid QB in order to put some points on the board.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 09:30 PM   #8
Jackson
Grizzled Veteran

Jackson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by The J
Who voted for the cheerleader?
I did, but since it's so cold up there they have to cover them up anyway. Regardless, who cares about the Bears? They just don't look like they're getting any better. They didn't aquire anyone is the off-season that will turn around the franchise. Sure David Terrell will take some of the pressure of Marcus Robinson, but what good's that gonna do when there is no good enough to good them the ball?
Old 07-20-2001, 09:33 PM   #9
NickHammy
Sports Virtuoso

NickHammy is on a distinguished road

I think I did too....lol...i don't know enough about those players....
Old 07-30-2001, 07:35 PM   #10
dragons
Grizzled Veteran

Default Re: Re: Bears

Quote:
Originally posted by mjames

Please use the quote tags in the future so it differentiates from your actual post.

Dilfer isn't flashy, Dilfer isn't pretty, but he got the job done. No matter what you say, he was consisent and he set the offense up to score just enough so that the defense could hold the opponent down. He wasn't one of the worst QBs last year, definitely not. Defense may win championships, but you have to have a solid QB in order to put some points on the board.
>> Offensive material removed <<

Yep Trent Dilfer sure was solid.... He only made 25 attempts, completed just 12......he didn't throw a pick and tossed one TD on a great run by Stokely.....the only thing that won the Ravens that title WAS the defence, Dilfer had NOTHING to do with it. He was pitiful.
Old 07-31-2001, 11:45 AM   #11
JonVolkman
Sports Enthusiast

JonVolkman is on a distinguished road

The Ravens defense might be good, even great, but without a somewhat consistent QB, they wouldn't have been at home come the Super Bowl.

Do you really think that Cade McNown could be in the Super Bowl if he had the Ravens defense?

JonVolkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2001, 11:46 AM   #12
JonVolkman
Sports Enthusiast

"they wouldn't have been at home come the Super Bowl"

I am an aspiring writer, can't you tell?

they would have been home.. 'nuf said.
Old 07-31-2001, 06:12 PM   #13
dragons
Grizzled Veteran

Default Ravens

If you'd take away the Ravens defence AND special teams that game, they would've been tied. Lewis scored 2 TD's on kick returns, and a defensive TD made the diffrence.....if it wasn't for the defence and special teams, they wouldn't have even been a .500 club

I do in fact think anybody could've QB'ed that game, even myself, with what happened.

Old 07-31-2001, 10:43 PM   #14
JonVolkman
Sports Enthusiast

that game, maybe.

but the entire season and post-season?

In order to play that game, they have to make it there, and that is where solid play all around factors in. Without it, you'll lose somewhere along the line.