Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 04-10-2007, 06:52 PM   #1
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough
Default Game over for Pacman and Henry

Roger Goodell is not messing around as he handed down a one year suspension for Pacman Jones and an 8-game suspension for the Bengals' Chris Henry today. I was a bit surprised at the length of the suspensions but not surprised that they got suspended. Jones stands to lose $1,292,500 in salary and I am sure this also means the Titans can after some of his bonus money as well.

It is going to be interesting to see what happens with Jones from here. Even before the suspension came down it was being widely rumored that the Titans were leaning towards releasing Pacman outright altogether.

It is also going to be interesting to see how Jones comes out of all of this. Will he finally fall in line as he claims he is going to do or will he continue down the same road now that he does not have football in his life and has nothing but time on his hands.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:43 AM   #2
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

This was a good move by Goodell, glad to see he isn't taking any shat!
Old 04-11-2007, 09:32 AM   #3
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

I am not a fan of the suspension of Pacman Jones by the league, because I am more in favor of letting the courts handle the matter first. If the league wanted to suspend Jones for previous "incidents," they should have done so a long time ago.

This current suspension clearly stems from the altercation over the NBA All-Star weekend in Las Vegas, in which Jones has yet to be charged in the case.

If the Tennessee Titans want to hand-down a suspension to Jones while the investigation is ongoing, I am fine with that. And, after the courts have ruled in the case, if the league wants to hand-down a lengthy suspension to Pacman Jones, I would be fine with that too. But, I am not a fan of allowing the league to suspend Jones for "incidents" in which he has yet to found guilty of being involved in.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 09:48 AM   #4
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

As a Bengals fan, I hope Henry never plays again. He has great talent but he is just an idiot. He will get in trouble again, and hopefully get banned for life. He doesn't deserve the privledge of playing in the NFL.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 01:51 PM   #5
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Leaves a Mountaineer fan who doesn't live anywhere near Morgantown wondering to what lengths Mountaineer media are hiding about their stars while they're there.
Henry's moving on had some documented (though not fully) run-ins with Rodriguez at its core. Jones was known as "troubled," but never did anything to move himself off the field.

Leaves me worried and wondering exactly how much character counts when Rod is recruiting...
(For the under-aware, both Henry and Jones attended and starred at WVU...)
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 05:44 PM   #6
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobynosker View Post
I am not a fan of the suspension of Pacman Jones by the league, because I am more in favor of letting the courts handle the matter first. If the league wanted to suspend Jones for previous "incidents," they should have done so a long time ago.
See the thing is though he violated the league's conduct policy by not reporting two incidents to either his team or the league as he is required to do as part of the standard player contract. So, while he has not been convicted of anything he is in violation of a league policy thus opening himself for some sort of punishment. However, with that being said, on that premise a one year ban is a bit harsh.

But, the thing that is intriguing to me is that the players seems to be overwhelmingly in Goodell's corner on this and are happy to see that guys like Henry and Jones are being sent a meaningful message by the league. Try to do something like this in the NBA or MLB and we would probably be facing some sort of Armageddon.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:24 PM   #7
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I agree with doublee in that the league can have its own rules and standards and shouldn't be required to wait for the legal proceedings. This is not one or two incidents, it's 10. Pacman had it coming.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 02:08 AM   #8
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Don Imus gets suspended for two weeks for something he did on the job, in the present, while Pacman Jones gets suspended for a year for things he had done off the job, in the past.

Am I alone and/or wrong in thinking that something isn't right here?

Last edited by Anthony; 04-12-2007 at 02:45 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 03:52 PM   #9
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Don Imus gets suspended for two weeks for something he did on the job, in the present, while Pacman Jones gets suspended for a year for things he had done off the job, in the past.

Uhh, Don Imus just spoke some words that offended some people. Pacman Jones is a straight up felon, big difference.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 05:45 PM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:

But you are also overlooking the fact that he was in violation of his contract by failing to report two instances when he was arrested.

Quite honestly we would all probably be unemployed if we were running around acting the way this character does.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:09 PM   #11
Anthony

Wonder if Pacman will turn up in Canada (after all, didn't Ricky Williams open the Pandora's Box, so to speak?).

And what will happen if some suspended player goes to trial and gets acquitted? (Asked and answered, in the litigious age in which we live).

Finally, if everyone who was accused of a crime got fired from their job, the crime rate would be about 1,000 times what it actually is, if you think about it.

Last edited by Anthony; 04-14-2007 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:12 PM   #12
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

It really is a shame that some people cannot handle themselves away from a structured situation like training camp. Adam Jones' problems seem to occur when he is away from such a situation. He needs to take a page out of Allen Iverson's book and realize that he has to grow up sometime, not that AI is a perfect "role-model", but he has cleaned up his act a bit.
As to Henry, he won't miss the entire season. He has been warned and has received a severe penalty.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 02:14 PM   #13
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Finally, if everyone who was accused of a crime got fired from their job, the crime rate would be about 1,000 times what it actually is, if you think about it.
But, we are not talking about someone who has been accused of a crime but rather multiple offenses. There is a huge difference. Yes, most employers are likely to let it slide if we go out and have a scrape with the law, but I seriously doubt they would be so lenient if they start seeing our name in the paper every two or three months for being picked up or questioned by the police. To be quite honest the main reason these two are not serving serious time is because they have the money to afford top notch lawyers who are able to work the system in their favor to keep them out of jail. If these two were not high profile NFL players they would probably be in jail today as we speak.

I wonder how this is going to affect the draft status of some players. A guy like Brendan Merriweather, who is seen by many as an early second rounder could see himself slip a bit due to his suspension for whaling on another guy with his helmet.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:33 AM   #14
Anthony

Lost in all this is the effect this is going to have on the Titans as a team: They're losing one of the few decent starters on a defense that was, statistically, the NFL's worst in 2006.

Just one more reason not to go into heat over how Tennessee finished up the season last year, as so many people did with Miami a year ago (don't remind me!).
Old 04-17-2007, 11:36 PM   #15
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Lost in all this is the effect this is going to have on the Titans as a team: They're losing one of the few decent starters on a defense that was, statistically, the NFL's worst in 2006.
I don't know though as rumor was they were seriously considering cutting him loose or in the very least suspending him anyway. At least a lot of the talk coming Fisher and the GM when asked about Pacman seemed to imply as much. I think the Titans were already planning on not having him around for the whole of next season, if at all.