Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 07-23-2007, 05:17 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default Michigan-Notre Dame series off...

Notre Dame to take a break from U-M

Despite the apparent best efforts of U-M athletic director Bill Martin, Michigan and Notre Dame will take a hiatus on their football series.

The current Michigan-Notre Dame contract expires in 2011, and the teams will take at least two years off, Notre Dame senior associate athletic director John Heisler said Saturday.

The problem with finding a year to resume the series is a bit more complicated because Michigan would like Notre Dame and Ohio State to play in Ann Arbor on opposite years to boost the home schedule.

That creates a conflict for the Irish, who want to stagger their home years with USC and Michigan -- both big draws. Because the Pac-10 schedules its conference slate nearly a decade in advance and includes the Notre Dame-USC as part of that, the Irish have little wiggle room.

But Heisler said he expects the series to resume.

The Fighting Irish and Michigan have worked to extend the contract, but Notre Dame's new plan to try to rotate in different teams threw a wrench in the talks.

Michigan State also will go off the schedule for two years, but, according to MSU associate athletic director John Lewandowski, the Spartans already have a deal with the Fighting Irish to resume after that.

"We're trying to create a scheduling strategy based on the expectation that there will continue to be a 12th game," Heisler said. "We're trying to have seven games per year in South Bend, four games on the road and the 12th an off-site (neutral) game."

To accomplish that, they must work around the USC deal and Navy, both longstanding rivalries.

The problem is there are three consistent Big Ten opponents -- Michigan, MSU and Purdue -- so Notre Dame is planning to get them on an overlapping four years on, two years off rotation.

"We want to continue those relationships," Heisler said.

Notre Dame is Michigan's most frequent nonconference opponent, playing 34 games since they began meeting in 1887.

The nation's two winningest programs, both in victories and percentage, took a long break from each other, 1910-77.

The teams have played consistently since then, with only minor breaks in the series, in 1983-84 and again in 2000-01.

By Mark Snyder

http://www.michigan.com/apps/pbcs.dl...707220657/1054

Wow...some major developments here.

I understand Michigan's logic: you get a better home schedule when you can have ND one year and OSU the next instead of in the same year. The way it is contrived now is a clear advantage for Blue to run the table in odd years (when they host ND and OSU) so I like the fact they are doing something against the idea of the MNC.

I don't like ND's planned system of overlapping four years on, two years off for their 3 Big Ten rivals though that could aid in detering a possible inclusion into the conference...which is something I'd sacrifice for in the modern era of anything goes.

In other news...

Michigan has added Toledo to the 2008 non-conference plate.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 05:27 PM   #2
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

Can't believe I'm saying this but..... I really hope they get this worked out. That game is one of the few non-SEC games I like to watch.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 05:38 PM   #3
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by themush View Post
Can't believe I'm saying this but..... I really hope they get this worked out. That game is one of the few non-SEC games I like to watch.
The other being OSU-UM eh mushy?

:lol:

It will probably only be a two-year hiatus as the article explains. It happend twice before (also mentioned in the article). The problem is that teams are starting to want more balance in their home schedules due to $. ND is at the mercy of the Pac Ten (to schedule USC) and the Big Ten (OSU-UM will always play in Ann Arbor in odd-numbered years). They are even at the mercy of Navy somewhat cuz that game must be played and the Middies must play Army on the last Saturday of the season.

All this damn tradition again huh mush?
Old 07-23-2007, 05:41 PM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I am not a fan of either school but that game almost never fails to deliver the goods in terms of quality and excitement.

This is all about Notre Dame trying to work it out to where they can still play these teams on a regular basis, but not every year so they can pad the schedule with a patsy every season to weaken their schedule.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 05:56 PM   #5
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
This is all about Notre Dame trying to work it out to where they can still play these teams on a regular basis, but not every year so they can pad the schedule with a patsy every season to weaken their schedule.
Hmm...I don't know about that. I understand your thinking considering they are trying to rotate the 3 Big Ten schools in-and-out but we should wait and see who they put in those slots before we judge.

I suspect the quality will be equal to if not greater than MSU and Purdue. Replacing Michigan's quality is pretty much impossible unless you pick up another "semi-permanent" rival in someone like Texas, Florida, or Oklahoma. If not, you have to get those teams in a home and home every two years unless you pick UM back up on a permanent basis.

ND has traditionally had a Top 5 SOS and I see no letdown as far as the teams in place right now. Here is the schedule starting in 2012 when all this hiatus/rotate stuff starts to go down...

9-22 Pittsburgh
TBA Purdue
TBA Brigham Young
TBA @ Boston College
TBA @ Southern California
TBA Navy @Dublin, Ireland
TBA @ Rutgers @E. Rutherford, NJ

So Purdue remains, UM and MSU drop but they pick up BYU (solid) and Rutgers (ding...another solid). Pitt goes on..."decent."

9-7 Oklahoma
10-5 Arizona State
11-9 @ Pittsburgh
TBA Southern California
TBA Navy
TBA Boston College
TBA @ Brigham Young
TBA @ Purdue
TBA Rutgers

So Purdue remains again, UM and MSU remain off but once again we have Rutgers and then we add Oklahoma (ding ding ding!), Arizona State (nicely done) and Rutgers. At Pitt..."average."

10-25 @ Arizona State
11-8 Pittsburgh
TBA Purdue
TBA @ Southern California
TBA vs. Navy
TBA vs. Rutgers

Purdue remains and the possibility of UM and MSU return (though like the article states...we don't know for sure what will happen). Even so...ND completes the ASU home and home and Pitt goes back to South Bend.

9-5 @ Oklahoma
11-14 @ Pittsburgh
TBA Southern California
TBA Navy
TBA @ Purdue
TBA vs. Rutgers

Ok...Purdue is on...we still don't know about UM and MSU. Rutgers remains, the home and home with Oklahoma is completed and a trip to Pitt ensues.

Looks ok to me. And if MSU and UM are added back on by the time 2013 starts...it will be fine.

Last edited by buckeyefan78; 07-23-2007 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:00 PM   #6
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

I expected nothing less from these two great schools...

Michigan, Notre Dame look for new opponents to fill schedule

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- Michigan won't settle for just any opponent when its football series with Notre Dame takes a break after the 2011 season, the school's athletic director says.

Michigan will play a national power from a major conference, most likely in a home-and-home series, athletic director Bill Martin told The Ann Arbor News for a story posted on its Web site Tuesday evening.

"There are a lot of teams Michigan would like to play and who would like to play Michigan," Martin said.

Martin declined to name names but said he's been approached by several schools.

Notre Dame athletic director Kevin White last week announced that Oklahoma would replace Michigan for two years after the current contract expires.

White said the goal is to play in different parts of the country in an attempt to return Notre Dame to its independent roots.

But the rivalry isn't going to disappear.

Martin said he and White will meet soon to continue contract talks.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2948275
Old 07-25-2007, 07:18 PM   #7
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Could be just heresay, but I swore I heard on the radio today about a possibl future matchup between UGA/ND. If they could get that worked out, I might do backflips. And I've never done a backflip before in my life.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:25 PM   #8
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
White said the goal is to play in different parts of the country in an attempt to return Notre Dame to its independent roots.
I don't see why they can't keep Michigan and do this as well. Their schedule always has the space for it, it would just take more adjusting since if they kept Mich/MSU/USC the place to put another marquee game would be the middle of the schedule and other teams are in conference play.

Notre Dame really needs to strengthen the middle of the schedule and this seems like ample excuse to do so rather than UM/ND dropping each other.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:29 PM   #9
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dublin Mike View Post
Could be just heresay, but I swore I heard on the radio today about a possibl future matchup between UGA/ND. If they could get that worked out, I might do backflips. And I've never done a backflip before in my life.
I heard something about that too but for the life of me I can't find anything about it online. If that's the case...it must not have much merit.

Anyway Mike...you do know Notre Dame is located in South Bend, Indiana? That's outside your jurisdiction buddy.

Remember...the "red states" are verboten...

Old 07-25-2007, 07:40 PM   #10
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
I heard something about that too but for the life of me I can't find anything about it online. If that's the case...it must not have much merit.

Anyway Mike...you do know Notre Dame is located in South Bend, Indiana? That's outside your jurisdiction buddy.

Remember...the "red states" are verboten...

lol. yeah yeah. How about Az. does that count?
Old 07-25-2007, 07:43 PM   #11
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Yeah...AZ is cool.

I wonder if UGA plays ND if they'll make it one of those "neutral games" that the Irish are hell-bent on having now.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:44 PM   #12
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

God I hope not. I want a home and home. I wouldn't mind getting tix to South Bend.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:46 PM   #13
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dublin Mike View Post
God I hope not. I want a home and home. I wouldn't mind getting tix to South Bend.
Yeah...that would defeat the whole purpose of it going down. No drinkin' in South Bend though Mike. It's all tradition and old school.

I love it there.

:thumbup:
Old 07-25-2007, 09:09 PM   #14
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

78, it is rare when I drink on gameday. Except after losses.

One thing that I do have to applaud Adams about, even though I hate his guts, is the limitation of areas on campus where you can drink alcohol on gameday. It's eliminated a lot of problems.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:19 PM   #15
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I stand corrected then. At least Notre Dame is bringing in another national power to fill the slot. If they are doing this so they can play other teams like OU, UGA, etc. then it does not bother me as much.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote